Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 564597 times)

Offline catsmtrods

Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
Now you got me working. I got the butt section wrapped and thread coated with my secret special concoction. Not sure if I want to dip or brush coat the wraps yet. I am no good at matching colors as I despise using color preserver. I feel it weakens the build. That thread started out tan and purple silk! Now it is what it is and it wont fall apart when fishing as it may if I used preserver. 

"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
Wow, nice.     :cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »
We had really nice weather this past weekend, so I took the W&M out for my first spin. Got one nice lil' Rainbow.

Ya, ya, the rod is "backwards" but I didn't want the little guy out of the water any longer than I had to to get the pic.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »
Damn you are so lucky to  live where green things are this time of year! I must wait! I just noticed a few buds on the trees outside my windows. The snow is still knee deep and now hard as to walk on top. The last time I went fishing on April 1st I got frozen to rock! Yeah I had on waders and sat on a rock to tie and got stuck!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »
Heh, all the trees are blooming, the willows along the river were starting to leaf out and there were butterflies all over the place. It was nice.

Ya, I was using a "bobber" but this river kinda requires it.

As you can see it's not all green just yet.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
I've used casting bobbers with my ultra-light spinning gear.
Caught my first Grayling doing that.
If I recall correctly, that lake also produced the record Golden Trout.
My younger brother caught one of those at a different lake one time.
Unbelievably beautiful fish.

Kelly Lake, Colorado.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »
Heading out Friday morning for a 4 day weekend on the Metolius river in Oregon. Should be fun, it dosent give up it's fish with ease!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
Oh, Cats, BTW, when you try out that rod (after the freeze    :tongue:  ) I've found that Rio Gold works very well with the old school agate stripper guide(s). I bought some last month and it was on sale for, I think, $37.50 which is a good deal.  at Cabela's (.com) The stuff is really slick, floats like crazy and casts like a dream. I think that Monty will be roughly a 4 wt.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
Oh, Cats, BTW, when you try out that rod (after the freeze    :tongue:  ) I've found that Rio Gold works very well with the old school agate stripper guide(s). I bought some last month and it was on sale for, I think, $37.50 which is a good deal.  at Cabela's (.com) The stuff is really slick, floats like crazy and casts like a dream. I think that Monty will be roughly a 4 wt.

4wt is what I thought. I have some Cortland sylk I will try.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2014, 10:17:50 PM »
What is the major determining factor for line weight?
Does weather or other conditions influence the choice?
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2014, 11:38:49 PM »
"Old fly rod."

Crap, I thought you all dedicated an entire thread to my ex-wife!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2014, 09:35:50 AM »
"Old fly rod."

Crap, I thought you all dedicated an entire thread to my ex-wife!

:thatsright:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2014, 10:01:14 AM »
What is the major determining factor for line weight?
Does weather or other conditions influence the choice?

It's the "action" of the rod. Usually determined by the diameter of the sections and "taper" of the same, but not length. Many bamboo rods are specified in weights. The rod in the pics above (mine) is a 4.2 oz. rod. That's how the old Grangers and Wright and Mcgill's (and many others) were sized. So mine is a W&M Stream and Lake 8642. the 86 being 8 feet six inches and weighing 4.2 oz. That corresponded to a line weight of HEH (the old designation) or in today's system a 5 weight. The H's showing that the rod was designed for a Double Taper line and the weight being "E".

The funny thing with Grangers and W&M's is there was no line size specified, just the the oz. of the rods. Also all Grangers and W&M (same thing) were the same tapers. So all 8642 or say 9050 (the Victory I posted about) rods were the same. The only difference being the "quality" of the bamboo, number of decorative wraps (intermediates) and the number of guides (more for the better ones) witch was the model/grade name. The rod I pictured was the lowest "quality" on the model/grade scale, but still had the same taper/action as the most expensive model within that specific length. Yes it does lead to some confusion as compared to other makers during those times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_rod_tapers

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »
Cats, been able to try that rod yet? The weather this past weekend was GLORIOUS. Got a bunch of dinks, and a few bigger Bow's in the 14"-15" range. They were taking a Black Stone Fly down deep.

O-)

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
Hell no I'm still buried in snow and ice. Soon the streams will be flooded with muddy runoff!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2014, 04:19:41 PM »
Snow.....................ice......................what is that?

:tongue:

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2014, 01:19:06 AM »
Spring!  Big skwala drys and bwos!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2014, 09:26:05 AM »
It's been dumping here. We actually got that snow and ice stuff.  :panic:  Supposed to get back into the 70's by this weekend, we'll see...........

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2014, 10:18:41 AM »
Went to a gun rights rally!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »
I saw that!

:thumbs:

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2014, 11:02:10 AM »
I am now waiting for a 8 1/2 foot H-I Chancellor ( I also picked up a Black River that needs very little work). Picked it up for $40, needs resto, but it was Horrocks-Ibbotson's near top-of-the-line rod so worth fixing up. I might keep it around for my daughter.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »
Got the Chancellor here. Nice rod, and it's not one of the steel cored rods. H-I made some of there rods with a thin steel core and many complained that they were too stiff, no action.

This is not one of those:

As can be seen the varnish is waaaaay too heavy. Looks like someone with good wrapping skills did a "resto" on the rod, but got over-zealous with the varnish. It's so thick the shine makes it look like some is missing in the photo's. It's not. The wraps are supposed to be and antique gold, so I'll have to fix that.

Interestingly enough, these rods were "impregnated" with a resin. If you are familiar with Orvis it's the same technique. The idea being no varnish required. It's one of the reasons Orvis bamboo rods still look good and fish well 50 years (and more) later.
Many think the reason H-I did varnish impregnated rods was not wanting to "rock the boat" with customers who expected that from them.

I believe that this rod, in the early 50's, retailed for $40, allot for those days, but it was one of the top models quality-wise. It'll be a good substitute for my Granger, which has more vale.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2014, 10:38:42 PM »
That bakelite reel seat is from the early 50's

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #173 on: June 16, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
Ya, it was "standard issue" for the higher quality rods. Just got back yesterday from a backpacking trip. Tons-o-fun. No fly fishing though, the Rainbows weren't cooperating.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2014, 01:21:35 AM »
Had a work day at my Dads cabin. After 5 hours of work, 20 min on the river. caught a fish for my 88yo dad and one for his wife. They had a nice breakfast!