Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 564549 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Old fly rod
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »
I figure this'll get Catsems attention.    :-)

I "found" an old bamboo fly rod that I had forgotten about for probably over 10 years out in the garage. At one time I 'collected" them for aesthetic  reasons and possibly to make some money (collectibles). Many that I found and I really didn't know much about, were "junker" rods. Many from the post WW2 era and made in Japan. One though, I realized was a "decent" rod. It uses Nickle Silver ferrules and reel seat plus the action of the rod was/is much better than the junkers.

A few pics of what it looks like:

I used these photos to ID the rod on a forum and was pleased to find out what I have is a 1934 Heddon #13 Lucky Angler.

The finish on the rod is shot plus it looks like it was refinished many years ago, and not well. Whoever did it removed the original decals. The only way it was ID'd was from the reel seat and shape of the cork handle.

I'm going to do a total strip down and refinish. This is where I have a question for Catsemtrods.
 I believe you make your own rods? Do you use the "dip" method for finishing your rods? From that point on I have no problem re wrapping the rod as Iv'e done several of those beloved "plastic" rods that I cherish so much.  :tongue:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:06:53 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline catsmtrods

Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »
I do have a dip tank. The Lucky Angler #13 from 1934 did have maroon wraps but were tipped in green. I would use Citristrip and 0000 steel wool very carefully try not to take down the edges of the seams. You need to be careful with stripper as the glue used in the day might delaminate! I use MOW spar varnish in my tank and wraps. I dip the blank once and then wrap. I finish the wraps with 2 coats of brushed varnish and then dip the finished rod again. Back in the day that was built it would not surprise me if they finished the rod with a turkey baster! Actually making rods is easier that refinishing! Good luck!

A few of mine.

"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
Cats, ty and gorgeous fly rods!

I've never done the dipping process, so I'll have to look that up.  

:cheersmate:

Your website is now bookmarked.

Love that little 7ft 4 wt.    :drool:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:26:21 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Dip tank is a big investment and or project! Probably not for you. For years I finished blanks with Birchwood Casey gunstock finish and a lint free rag with great success. Its a bit of a learning experience to finish wraps with varnish but guys like you could cheat and use epoxy finish since your not trying to cheat anyone but yourself! 
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:46:36 PM »
The restoration of antiques is a hobby of mine, too. If it's OLD, has WOOD, or is a GUN......

An M1869 .50/70 Cavalry carbine. Only 342 were ever made, and only for troop trials.

The top is an M1842 .69 calibre "Mississippi", and the lower is a .20 gauge Belgian "Zulu" shotgun.

The serial number indicates this M96 Mauser is from the last lot of an Italian 1900 contract.

Documentation indicates this Ansonio "kitchen clock" was manufactured in 1842. It's still running on an old table in our living room.

A steamer trunk, ca. 1860. I made an exception to my "restoration" rule. I lined it with tongue and groove closet liner cedar, and we use it as a cedar chest.

Nothing ever just "gets old".
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
Old = Good!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »
Dip tank is a big investment and or project! Probably not for you. For years I finished blanks with Birchwood Casey gunstock finish and a lint free rag with great success. Its a bit of a learning experience to finish wraps with varnish but guys like you could cheat and use epoxy finish since your not trying to cheat anyone but yourself!  

Ya I saw that. I'll probably do what I did before with a bamboo rod, very, very carefully remove finish, tape off whats needs to be, and spray with a poly exterior varnish, re-wrap and Flex Cote the wraps. This rod is for me, so I'm not trying to be "perfect" and impress anyone.  I did one many years ago this way and the results were excellent.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:43:55 AM by Wineslob »

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »
Try the Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. I think they even have it in a spray can now. Its indestructible! I coated a few old butt sections with it and am still using them for tomato stakes 10 years later!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
Try the Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. I think they even have it in a spray can now. Its indestructible! I coated a few old butt sections with it and am still using them for tomato stakes 10 years later!

I'll look for that, but I've never heard of it.   :???:

Damn enviroweenies, it cannot be shipped to Ca.     :mad:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:22:16 PM by Wineslob »

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 06:12:16 PM »
Son of a bitch! I bet you can't get spar varnish either? Are there no cane rodmakers in commiefornia?

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
Son of a bitch! I bet you can't get spar varnish either? Are there no cane rodmakers in commiefornia?

There's plenty of rod builders around here. You can get Spar Varnish (Man-O-War). Runs about $14 for an aerosol can. I decided on a Poly after reading how well it does. No fade/yellowing/flexible plus it's very tough. I fish (as you probably saw in my photos) very rocky areas where allot of climbing is involved. Rods get beat up.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »
That is a very pretty rod.  I'd love to have something like that to hang on my wall.   

Speaking for myself, I like old things,too.  Old furniture, old books, old appliances, old houses, old cars, heck, old everything.   

We need a 'show your old stuff thread' here somewhere.  I'd love to see what everybody else has, like marv posted.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »

There's plenty of rod builders around here. You can get Spar Varnish (Man-O-War). Runs about $14 for an aerosol can. I decided on a Poly after reading how well it does. No fade/yellowing/flexible plus it's very tough. I fish (as you probably saw in my photos) very rocky areas where allot of climbing is involved. Rods get beat up.
Believe it or not, bamboo can take more of a beating than those plastic sticks!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 09:57:45 AM »
I started on the rod this weekend. Used Citristrip to remove the old finish. It worked VERY well! The next day (Sunday) I sprayed the "blank" with Helmsman Spar Urethane (semi-gloss). So far, so good. I'll get some pics up.

Oh, it turns out that this is a "Heavy Bass/Trout rod" decided by the size of the ferrules. Some where around a 7-8 wt. I may actually take this rod up to Pyramid Lake (NV) this March and fish for the large Cutts there. Should be fun.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 12:15:10 PM »
Picked up a nice little gem for the rod:

It's coming together:

Not so ratty looking now,

I should have the rest of the wraps done tonight.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 10:13:38 AM »
Iv'e got the guides done and coated. The thread I used is supposed to be correct and is very thin compared to what I've used in the past. A PITA, but the rod came out OK.

Next I'll put on the decorative wraps and a hook keeper.

Cats, for the decorative wraps do you use a thinner thread than the A? I'm trying to figure out how the "old guys" were able to put such small color bands on the rods.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
Yes the trick to thin trim bands is smaller thread and spit! If you wet the thread you can lock 3-4 turns. I use a scalpel to trim tag ends. Looking good!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
Looking great!

I'm guessing it's a 9ft rod?  Nice reel, are you going to try a silk line?

I have a love for bamboo rods, been fishing them and collecting them for awhile.

Cats.. I like your penta. I have a Usian 7ft 5wt, same type of action?

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »
Looking great!

I'm guessing it's a 9ft rod?  Nice reel, are you going to try a silk line?

I have a love for bamboo rods, been fishing them and collecting them for awhile.

Yup, 9 footer. I picked up a Heddon #14 Thoroughbred (probably from the 50's) in the same ferrule size (2 3/4) and same length for 30 bucks, with case and bag. It's in bad enough shape that I decided to see if the tip section is the same as the #13, it is. I'll re-do the tip and that'll give me two for the older rod.

No silk, I'm not a masochist.  :-)

I took the rod out the other night and cast a 6wt sinking line with it. Damn, what a beast.   :o

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »
Looking great!

I'm guessing it's a 9ft rod?  Nice reel, are you going to try a silk line?

Both the 7' rods are base on the Cattanach Sir D 7042 7 Ft 4 Wt taper that we tweaked a little by swelling the butt. Everyone that ever cast them love them. They are delicate yet can toss a 5wt 85' if your a good caster. Honestly I never had a real Uslan in my hands. I have cast rods built on his tapers and felt they broke down with a lot of line out?

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »
Wine, LOL..  the old 9ft rods tend to be quite heavy, yet can still throw alot of line. Silk is wonderfull to cast, and dosent take that much matainance.

Cats, I've cast a few rods based upon the sir D, not bad at all!  The Uslan flexes all the way to the grip when you load it. Fun on small waters but not very good for the bigger waters we have out here in the west.   Have you tried any quads?

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »
Yeah the Uslan tapers I have cast were very slow. Our Sir D is hopped up so to speak! I have not built a quad but have cast many and love them! A lot of power! But for some reason they never win the casting competition we have every year at the gathering? Of course I never won that either!!  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:08:03 PM by catsmtrods »

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
Wine, LOL..  the old 9ft rods tend to be quite heavy, yet can still throw alot of line.

Well I got the reel last night. Gotta love English craftsmanship, well, with fly reels anyway. I put a WF 7 F line on it and did a few casts in the front yard. I'm gonna have a sore right arm when I fish with this thing.  :o

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »
Next time you find a 9' 3 piece rod throw the butt section away and make a 6' banty rod. I have some nice little rods I made from South Bends and Shakespeare rods.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
Looked up a "Banty" rod.

Damn you, damn you, damn you.

Ya gone done and gave me an idea. I gots the parts.

:yahoo: