Author Topic: America's team downed by flu virus  (Read 999 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
America's team downed by flu virus
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:32:14 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Yankees-have-been-hit-by-flu-bug?urn=mlb,173271

Uh oh.

Not good news.

Yankees have been hit by flu bug

The New York Yankees have been hit with a flu bug that's circulating through the team and landed Derek Jeter(notes) on the bench for a second straight day and now has hit Johnny Damon(notes), according to the New York Daily News.

Ramiro Pena(notes) replaced Jeter again Saturday night when the Bombers beat the Mets, 5-0, at Citi Field. Melky Cabrera(notes) was in left field for Damon. The batting order had Brett Gardner(notes) and Nick Swisher(notes) in the first two slots.

"Jeet's still sick," Joe Girardi said beforehand. "I know he really wants to play (Saturday night) and he's not happy about being out of the lineup. It was recommended, when I talked to the (doctor), that we give him another day. He was really, really sick (Friday) night."

More casualties could be coming. Mark Teixeira(notes) and Phil Hughes(notes) both confessed to feeling less than 100%.

Girardi estimated that nine players, coaches and support staff have been hit so far.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: America's team downed by flu virus
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »
I saw Jeter, Damon, and Teixeira play yesterday.
But I'd consider it very good news if the entire Yankee roster were afflicted.
I've always liked George Steinbrenner, but cannot stand the stinkin' Yankees.