Author Topic: Whats in this food and how did it get there?>?>  (Read 1831 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Whats in this food and how did it get there?>?>
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:01:22 AM »
So I decided to dehydrate food and pack it away.

I the idiot, I am tried the first few batches and vacuumed packed them.

Later on I decided the zip lock bags would do as well and put up vegetables dehydrated in them instead of sealing them air tight.

Last week Hubby came in to tell me there was a problem, the Zip lock bags had some kind of bugs in them.

I went in and removed all the zip lock bags of dehydrated vegetables and meat to find, all my hours and prep work  had moving things in these bags I thought were sealed.

Where did they come from, had they survived the dehydration possess, is there a problem with the zip lock bags that allowes nasty to to get into the bag??????

Are, I ask some lave from whatever able to withstand the dehydration process and hatch on a small bit of air??

The vegetables I placed in the vacuum bag, now I wonder if they also have lava just waiting for oxygen to hatch.

Question , do I get so paranoid as to cook everything I dehydrate, then seal in a vaccum--------

Are the lava all ready on the vegetables and it is not the fault of the zip lock bags ?????

Gets down right nasty when we have to ask these questions about our food.

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
Re: Whats in this food and how did it get there?>?>
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
 :picsneeded:

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »
Two points -

1) The material used in ziplock bags is actually fairly porous compared to the material used in proper vacuum bags.

2) The seal on ziplock bags is weak and leaks easily.

This results in moisture and oxygen getting inside the bag - thus you get the critters growing in there; especially when the contents aren't properly preserved and or lack some form of preservative to keep them inert.

I only use ziplock bags for short term portioning of bulk meats that are stored in the freezer.

Offline JLO

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:59:48 PM »
So I decided to dehydrate food and pack it away.

I the idiot, I am tried the first few batches and vacuumed packed them.

Later on I decided the zip lock bags would do as well and put up vegetables dehydrated in them instead of sealing them air tight.

Last week Hubby came in to tell me there was a problem, the Zip lock bags had some kind of bugs in them.

I went in and removed all the zip lock bags of dehydrated vegetables and meat to find, all my hours and prep work  had moving things in these bags I thought were sealed.

Where did they come from, had they survived the dehydration possess, is there a problem with the zip lock bags that allowes nasty to to get into the bag??????

Are, I ask some lave from whatever able to withstand the dehydration process and hatch on a small bit of air??

The vegetables I placed in the vacuum bag, now I wonder if they also have lava just waiting for oxygen to hatch.

Question , do I get so paranoid as to cook everything I dehydrate, then seal in a vaccum--------

Are the lava all ready on the vegetables and it is not the fault of the zip lock bags ?????

Gets down right nasty when we have to ask these questions about our food.

If you are dehydrating, just put the food in a screw-type jar.  Once the moisture is totally gone, it will be fine.

Freezing and vacuum packing is way over-kill after it's properly dried.  I'd bet all the moisture was not extracted when it was first dried.

The freezer should have killed any buggies.  And the vacuuming - wow you did three times the work. 

Didn't your dehydrator come with instructions?  Once properly dried, it's good for storage in a baggie or jar, and not frozen.

I have a Ronco - here's their instruction booklet.  Good luck.

https://www.ronco.com/docs/manuals/RoncoManual-FoodDehydrator.pdf

Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--