Author Topic: Flu reaches epidemic level in U.S., says CDC  (Read 817 times)

Offline Teri

• Banned
Flu reaches epidemic level in U.S., says CDC
« on: January 12, 2013, 06:48:43 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/11/us-usa-flu-idUSBRE9080WD20130111

The early start and fast spread of flu this season - especially after 2011-2012's very mild outbreak - has overwhelmed doctors' offices and hospitals, forcing some patients to wait through the night to be seen in emergency departments.

Nine of the 10 U.S. regions had "elevated" flu activity last week, confirming that seasonal flu has spread across the country and reached high levels several weeks before the usual late January or February, CDC reported.

Only one region - the Southwest and California - had "normal" flu activity last week.

Tens of thousands of Americans die every year from flu, even in non-epidemic years. The threshold for an epidemic is that it causes more than 7.2 percent of deaths, but as yet there is no definitive count of the total caused by flu this year.

In Boston, flu cases are 10 times higher than they were last year, causing Mayor Thomas Menino to declare a public health emergency on Wednesday.

In Illinois, 24 hospitals struggling to cope with the flood of flu cases had to turn away people arriving in the emergency department, while in Pennsylvania, the Lehigh Valley Hospital outside Allentown has set up a tent for people who arrive with less-severe flu.

A total of 20 children have now died from this season's flu, up two from the previous week, the CDC said. That compares to 34 during the full 2011-2012 flu season and 282 during the severe 2009-2010 season.

The outbreak has led to attempts at prevention that go beyond the standard advice of getting vaccinated, avoiding contact with sick people and frequently washing hands with soap.

In Boston, the Catholic Archdiocese has told priests they could suspend the offering of communion wine using a shared chalice and bow rather than shake hands while exchanging the Sign of Peace, a Christian greeting.

Auxiliary Bishop Robert P. Deeley urged priests to use hand sanitizer before and after communion and to avoid touching congregants' tongues or hands. He said parishioners who were ill "should remain at home and return to church when they are well."

'MODERATELY EFFECTIVE' VACCINE

While flu vaccines offer protection, they are not failsafe.

This year's flu vaccine is 62 percent effective, scientists reported on Friday in the CDC's weekly publication, meaning that almost four in 10 people who receive the vaccine and are exposed to the virus will nevertheless become infected.

This is considered "moderate" effectiveness and is in line with previous years' flu vaccines, which range from 50 percent to 70 percent effective, Dr. Joseph Bresee, chief of the CDC's influenza division, told reporters.

Experts recommend the vaccine for everyone over 6 months of age. Even if it does not prevent flu, immunization can reduce the severity of the illness, preventing pneumonia and other life-threatening results of flu.

Public health authorities were correct in their forecast of which flu strains would emerge this season and therefore what vaccine to make: one that contains two strains of influenza A and one strain of influenza B. An A strain, called H3N2, predominates this season, though the B strain has caused about 20 percent of cases.

About 10 percent of cases have been caused by a B strain that is not in the vaccine, which "has space for only three strains," CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden said.

Dr. Arnold Monto of the University of Michigan, a co-author of the vaccine-effectiveness study told Reuters this year's vaccine was "a good vaccine, but not a great vaccine."

It is less effective for the frail elderly, for people receiving chemotherapy for cancer, and for people taking oral steroids, as their immune systems have been weakened and are often unable to produce an effective number of antibodies in response to the vaccine.

One reason flu vaccines are far from perfect, said Monto, is where in the body the viruses find a home - congregating on the surface of small airways in the respiratory tract, while virus-fighting antibodies that are stimulated by vaccines mostly stay in the bloodstream.

According to the most recent CDC data, 37 percent of Americans - 112 million people - had received the flu vaccine as of mid-November.

Of the 135 million doses produced this year, 128 million have been distributed to doctors' offices, drug stores, clinics and other facilities.

Although public health officials believe enough doses were produced, some spot shortages have developed. "You may have to call a few places," before finding one with vaccine, said the CDC's Bresee, "but it should be available."

MAY HAVE PEAKED

In its weekly flu update on Friday, the CDC reported that 24 of the 50 U.S. states as well as New York City had experienced "high activity" in flu-like illnesses last week. In 16 states, activity was moderate, while in 10 it was low or minimal.

The 24 states reporting high activity was down from 29 the previous week, raising hopes that the disease may have peaked in some regions, particularly the Southeast, and that a flu season that began early may also end early. It typically starts in December, peaks in January or February and peters out by late March or early April.

The percentage of visits to healthcare providers last week for flu-like illness - 4.3 percent - is comparable to that during the 2007-2008 flu season, which was characterized as "moderately severe" but which peaked some two months later. By comparison, in the 2009 H1N1 "swine" flu pandemic, 7.7 percent of visits were for flu-like illness

Offline Teri

• Banned
Re: Flu reaches epidemic level in U.S., says CDC
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 06:51:43 AM »
I won't take the flu shot because when I did, I stayed sick all winter long.  I heard many people telling me the same thing.  I know they say it's a dead virus and it's not supposed to make anyone ill, but every year that took it, it made me sick and when I stopped...I haven't been sick once.  Maybe that's a coincidence, but I don't think so.

I don't understand how there can be an epidemic when since last October all I've seen are doctors and pharmacies advertising this flu shot and now there's an epidemic.  I find that an odd coincidence too.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 12:29:33 PM »
Are there really more cases or are more people just going to doctors and hospitals because they think ObamaCare is free?

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »
Are there really more cases or are more people just going to doctors and hospitals because they think ObamaCare is free?

I am speaking from a total anecdotal evidence point of view.  But it has hit this area hard.  All my kids had it, my fiancee, her daughter, her mom, my mom, the whole town she lived in pretty much had it.  I mean it has been crazy around here.  We had Tamaflu flowing from the cabinets here.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
I don't know anyone that has had it yet. (Knock on wood)

Offline longview

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »
I had to take the vaccine or find another job.  I like my job, so I gave in.  Lots of people here getting the Type A that was supposed to be covered.  I've also gotten short reports of some people who've received the vaccine coming down with Guillan-Barre disease.  That wasn't supposed to happen either, with the killed virus. 

Smith-Kline-Glascow has put a four way influenza vaccine up for approval.  I sure won't trust a four way when they can't get the two way right.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »
There was a high dose shot for those over 65.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_fluzone.htm

Most places I know of ran out of it back in October.

Offline liana

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 01:01:41 PM »
I won't take the flu shot because when I did, I stayed sick all winter long.  I heard many people telling me the same thing.  I know they say it's a dead virus and it's not supposed to make anyone ill, but every year that took it, it made me sick and when I stopped...I haven't been sick once.  Maybe that's a coincidence, but I don't think so.

I don't understand how there can be an epidemic when since last October all I've seen are doctors and pharmacies advertising this flu shot and now there's an epidemic.  I find that an odd coincidence too.

I haven't gotten the flu vaccine either, for the same reason.  I'm not a medical professional but my impression is the vaccine is weakening your immune system ( by forming antibodies), therefore you're more susceptible to acquire a new strain, since your defense mechanism is already overworked.
If a Conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn’t buy one. If a Liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 01:25:37 AM »
I used to be skepical of the flu shot for years. I heard the natural health professionals say it was posion, others say it made them sick, and others say they had a sore arm.

I've had the shot for the past four years, including one year a seperate shot for H1N1.

I enjoy the overtime at work when others come down with the flu and I am still healthy.  :-)  Two yeas ago, a couple co-workers ended up with H1N1, young children and a school teacher were involved in how it started to spread. They looked like the walking dead.

Others say the flu shot is just a way for big PHARM (those evil corporations) to make money. I promise you one thing, more money is made, when you get sick, go to the doctor, and they write you an RX, especially if it's brand name Tamiflu that only works if you start taking it by day two of the the flu. Tamilflu has a high co payment under most insurance plans, when pharmacies run out of it, it has to be compounded (especially for children,) then the insurance companies do not like to pay for it.  It might take a day for it to get approved, unless you have the $400 to pay cash for it.

Immunizations are usually covered at a zero co pay under your plan. I think they are a good idea. I often have to take care of my mother, and I am no good to her, if I have the flu. Her health prevents her from getting the shot (she had Gullian Barre when she was in her 40's which made her temporarily paralyzed for a few weeks, at the time the doctors had no clue.)

I not only get the flu shot for myself, I get it for the benefit of those that I am around. I would like to think getting the flu shot is one less chance a person I come into contact with has the chance of getting sick.

I know some people do not like the shot, and that is the shot you must take in the dark.

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 06:47:34 AM »
Bad thing about this flu is by the time you have symptoms, you've already had it for a couple/few days already and probably infected someone else. 

I won't take the flu shot because of the way it made me sick all winter long and year after year.  They probably want to kill off the weak and elderly before obamacare kicks in full steam.  "Get the flu shot"...uhuh...yeah...well...not me.  Call me paranoid...

Just wash your hands every opportunity you get and don't touch your face or eyes with them.  Hubby said some guy was hackin and coughin over him at work.  When people do that to me...I give them *the look*  the one that says *back off or I'll have to kill ya*.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »
I don't think I've ever taken a flu shot, but I don't think I've ever had the flu.  I've had some nasty head and chest colds, but nothing that ever thoroughly incapacitated me.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »
I've never taken a flu shot.  The last time I had the flu was 2004.  It kept me home from work for a couple of days.  The worst flu I had was 1996... it came with a fever and everything else.  It was awful.  I was so sick, I was afraid to turn the light off in the room because sitting in the dark made being sick even worse.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »
I had the H1N1 flu a few years ago, I was sick as a dog within 12 hours of being exposed. My brother came back from a weekend away sick on a Sunday afternoon, and I left work at 8:30 AM the next day because I felt really sick. I missed two weeks of work because it turned into pneumonia.  

I know that some people are cautious about vaccines, and I respect that, especially when it comes to multiple vaccines in young children, but I encourage people to get the flu shot. If you are around anybody who is at high risk of complications it is even more important.  I'm required to now due to work, but considering that I'll be working in the ICU, that is probably a good thing.  I do tend to feel a bit run down for a few days after I get the vaccine, but I've never had a reaction worse than that.  

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
I had the flu in the mid-70's.  I recall my mom telling me it was the Hong Kong Flu, but records show that was about 5-6 years earlier.  Who knows.  All I know is I stayed home with my brother for a week, alone, and watched tv from my Mom's bed and drank ginger ale all day.

The afternoon movies were on back then and it was horror week.  I saw the original "Fly".  Still have bad dreams about it.

I don't get the flu shot.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Teri

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 07:17:52 AM »
The people that really get hit the hardest with it are those who have a lot of allergies and breathing problems or they have an illness already with a compromised immune system. 

I have allergies and in the winter, they get worse, especially in cold dry air.  If I catch a cold it takes me at least a good three weeks before I start feeling better again.

I noticed when I took the flu shot it made things even worse.  I ran into another woman in the doctors office who said the very same thing that ever since she took the flu shot she'd been sick all winter long, one cold right after another.  Since I stopped taking the flu shot haven't been sick but once when an infected friend came to visit hugging and kissing and left us all infected... 

What we do is wash our hands all of the time and especially after going shopping our out somewhere where you're touching everything everyone else has...especially carts, door handles and items in stores that are handled by just about everyone.  NEVER touch your face or rub your eyes with your hands if you can remember.  I've got myself in the habit of using a tissue if I have to touch my face at while I'm out and about.

Even at home, I used the sanitary cycle on the dishwasher and if you don't have one of those....just add a bit of bleach to your dishwater and use that to disinfect cabinet handles, counter tops and wash glass and silverware with it.  Bleach works better than just about anything to kill germs.  You have to leave it on the counters for a few minutes for it to work and kill most of the bugs and then wipe it off.

Key is just being as clean as you can this time of year.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 07:39:29 AM »
I don't know anyone that has had it yet. (Knock on wood)

I started dry coughing last night and now every muscle, even my fingers, is aching. I pray I don't have it.  I had the flu shot in October.  Maybe it's just because I am old.  :-)

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 10:43:36 AM »
I started dry coughing last night and now every muscle, even my fingers, is aching. I pray I don't have it.  I had the flu shot in October.  Maybe it's just because I am old.  :-)

You are far from old, Gina.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Dori

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »

Do you have a fever?  If you do, you may want to go get the Tammy Flu medication.  I would.
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
Do you have a fever?  If you do, you may want to go get the Tammy Flu medication.  I would.

Just feeling more rundown.  Don't think I have a fever.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Dori

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »
Just feeling more rundown.  Don't think I have a fever.

Supposedly you get a high fever with this bug.  But you had the shot, so maybe it's a different bug or your having a milder case of it.

The doc on FOX said that they are having a 62% success rate with this year's flu vaccine and if you do get it, it should be a milder case.

I think he also said that they covered 3 out of 4 of the viruses causing this year's flu.  The darn things can mutate into different strains. 
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
Supposedly you get a high fever with this bug.  But you had the shot, so maybe it's a different bug or your having a milder case of it.

The doc on FOX said that they are having a 62% success rate with this year's flu vaccine and if you do get it, it should be a milder case.

I think he also said that they covered 3 out of 4 of the viruses causing this year's flu.  The darn things can mutate into different strains. 

thanks for the info....I think I am just the mom of 3 kids and I go to bed 9pm and wake up at 3am every day to work. Just burning candle at both ends.......  :panic:

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 03:12:15 AM »
thanks for the info....I think I am just the mom of 3 kids and I go to bed 9pm and wake up at 3am every day to work. Just burning candle at both ends.......  :panic:

I hope you feel better soon.