Current Events > Politics

Obama Repealing the 22nd Amendment

(1/4) > >>

Ptarmigan:
Do you think that Barack Obama may try to repeal the 22nd Amendment, which gives two term limits for Presidents? Here's how the amendment goes:

--- Quote ---Amendment 22 - Presidential Term Limits

1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President, when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

2. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.
--- End quote ---

http://www.usconstitution.net/xconst_Am22.html

The inauguration is likely to attract millions and is almost like a coronation of a king. I know back than Presidents would step down after the second term because it was a custom started with President George Washington. It changed when Franklin Roosevelt was elected into his fourth term and died in office. 

Ralph Wiggum:
I highly doubt he'd even try.  Both the Dems and Republicans will find plenty of things to be upset about.  Just think about the Clinton years.

Baruch Menachem:
Given what we know about his policies so far, think Carter years.  Four years from now people will be very anxious to see him go.   I thought it goofy that Carter even tried for a second term.

Lord Undies:
Only if he is one gene short of complete retardation.  Do you know who has to agree in order to repeal an amendment?

rich_t:

--- Quote ---Do you think that Barack Obama may try to repeal the 22nd Amendment, which gives two term limits for Presidents?
--- End quote ---

No.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version