Current Events > Politics

Congressman: Obama's Senate Replacement Must Be Black

(1/3) > >>

thundley4:

--- Quote ---The race to replace Barack Obama as Illinois' junior senator heated up Tuesday as Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill., called on Gov. Rod Blagojevich to name a black man or woman to the seat.

By invoking race, Rush, who is black, drove a potential wedge between the prospective white and black contenders for the seat. Rush said it would be a "national disgrace" if Obama's seat were not filled by an African American.
(snip)
Obama's seat has been occupied twice by a black politician since the early '90s. Carol Moseley Braun, the first and only black woman to serve in the U.S. Senate, held the seat from 1993 to 1999, when Peter Fitzgerald defeated her. Obama then succeeded Fitzgerald in 2005 and served until he resigned last month to prepare for the presidency.

Rush, a former Black Panther member who defeated Obama in a 2000 race for a seat in the House of Representatives, said that he wasn't backing any particular candidate to replace Obama and that he had no insight into whether Blagojevich was leaning toward a white candidate over a black candidate, or vice-versa.
--- End quote ---
FNC

Two blacks have held that seat, and what have they accomplished?  Mosley-Braun was suspected of campaign improprieties and we all know that the Messiah did nothing.

TheSarge:

--- Quote from: thundley4 on December 04, 2008, 09:27:54 AM --- FNC

Two blacks have held that seat, and what have they accomplished?  Mosley-Braun was suspected of campaign improprieties and we all know that the Messiah did nothing.

--- End quote ---

Sounds to me like Rush is jockeying to get appointed to the seat himself.

Chris_:
What's the big deal?  The big Zero is about a black as Bubba "drop-drawers" Clinton.
 :fuelfire:

Eupher:
I seem to remember in the distant past that ol' thing called:

"The person with the best qualifications gets the job."

No bullshit about race, creed, color, national origin, or whether the sumbitch has a terrorist for a friend.

I guess we've come a long, long way.

:whatever:

Thor:

--- Quote from: Eupher on December 04, 2008, 10:12:05 PM ---I seem to remember in the distant past that ol' thing called:

"The person with the best qualifications gets the job."

No bullshit about race, creed, color, national origin, or whether the sumbitch has a terrorist for a friend.

I guess we've come a long, long way.

:whatever:

--- End quote ---

That's Affirmative Action for you.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version