Author Topic: Smell of smoke likely from Quebec, officials say  (Read 771 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Smell of smoke likely from Quebec, officials say
« on: May 31, 2010, 09:58:43 AM »
If you live in Northern New England you might be wondering what is that smell in the air.

Smell of smoke likely from Quebec, officials say

Police and fire departments  across the state are busy responding to calls this morning about smoke complaints, but the smell is likely from several forest fires burning in Quebec, said a dispatcher with the Maine Forest Service.

{snip fair use}

As of Friday afternoon, Quebec's forest fire protection agency (SOPFEU) said 56 fires were burning across the north-central part of the province, including 10 that remain out of control. The fire zone covers 160 acres of forest.

and from the comments section:

ketchfish said...

From the National Weather Service: "...AIR QUALITY ALERT IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM MONDAY UNTIL 11 PM MONDAY... THE MAINE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION HAS ISSUED AN AIR QUALITY ACTION DAY FOR WESTERN MAINE. THIS INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES... ANDROSCOGGIN...SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL SOMERSET...CUMBERLAND... YORK...KENNEBEC...FRANKLIN...OXFORD AND SAGADAHOC. WESTERN REGIONS OF MAINE HAVE ALREADY REACHED UNHEALTHY LEVELS OF PARTICLE POLLUTION DUE TO SMOKE FROM WILDFIRES IN QUEBEC. PEOPLE WITH A HEART OR LUNG DISEASE SHOULD REDUCE THEIR LEVEL OF EXERTION."

Help us Obie Wun Kanobbie, we know you are busy with the Gulf Spill, please send SloJo to blow the smoke away 111!!!!. 

Memorial day is the start of the summer season which will see the New England Seacoast invaded once again by Guido's in Speedos down from Quebec.  Please fellas, inhale deeply and take some of the smell home with ya.
 :fuelfire:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline jinxmchue

Re: Smell of smoke likely from Quebec, officials say
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
Blame Canada!  Blame Canada!
It seems like everything's gone wrong
Since Canada came along

Offline soleil

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »
Blame Canada!  Blame Canada!
It seems like everything's gone wrong
Since Canada came along

They're not even a real country anyway.  :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
They're not even a real country anyway.  :-)

:rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:35:55 PM »
Those stinking french Canadians!!

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »
One of the women who comes in early to open the day care that my daughter is in, told me that they had to leave their camp on Lake Champlain early this weekend, the smoke was so bad.  And they're only a few miles north of Ticonderoga, too.  She said that they couldn't see the Vermont side of the lake from all of the smoke, and the lake is only a mile or so wode at that point.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:54 AM »
As a comparison, I thought I was back in LA during a smog alert day yesterday coming home.  Nasty shit.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford