Author Topic: Honda to roll out cheap new hybrid model in early '09  (Read 2178 times)

Offline RobJohnson

Honda to roll out cheap new hybrid model in early '09
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:11:05 PM »
TOKYO (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co (7267.T) said on Wednesday it would launch a new, low-cost hybrid car in Japan, North America and Europe in early 2009 as it seeks to cut the lead of Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) in the green car race.

ADVERTISEMENT

Despite the pressure of record-high oil prices and concerns over climate change, fuel-efficient and low-emission hybrids still occupy a small niche in the global car market, partly due to their higher costs for both consumers and automakers.

Japan's top two automakers lead the industry in the fuel-saving technology which runs on both electricity and gasoline, but Toyota has dominated sales with its groundbreaking Prius model, which is only available as a hybrid.

Koichi Ogawa, chief portfolio manager at Daiwa SB Investments, said it was hard to know whether Honda could challenge Toyota's dominance.

"When you say 'hybrid,' the image that really comes to mind is Prius," he said. "Honda is very dependent on the U.S. market, which is shifting towards things like hybrids, and for survival having a hybrid (model) is essential."

By twinning a conventional engine and battery-powered electric motor, hybrids currently add $5,000 or more to comparable gasoline models, a premium Honda Chief Executive Takeo Fukui sees coming down to around $2,000 in the next generation of hybrids.

"It is important to move hybrid vehicles from the current image-oriented stage to the new stage toward full-scale penetration," Fukui told a news conference.

Executive Vice President Koichi Kondo said Honda hoped to price the hybrid-only car under 2 million yen ($19,290).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080521/bs_nm/honda_dc

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Honda to roll out cheap new hybrid model in early '09
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:17:42 PM »
Honda Fit Hybrid In The Works

"This isn't the only major hybrid vehicle forthcoming from the automaker. In addition to the hybrid Fit and Civic hybrid, the company plans to release a low-emission race car and a Prius-challening vehicle. Though it may be a silent killer, we look forward to the happy face the Fit will put on mechanized death, and at a reported premium of only $2,000."

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:18:45 PM »
Call me an evil bastard, but these battery-powered cars don't do anything for me. 

Meh.  :p
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:53:13 PM »
Call me an evil bastard, but these battery-powered cars don't do anything for me. 

I'm a diesel fan myself.  Now a diesel hybrid would be very cool.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 02:19:25 AM »

I'm a diesel fan myself.  Now a diesel hybrid would be very cool.

Diesels do not do really well in colder climates....unless you want to let your car idle all day while you are at work....I lived the diesel car craze in the 80's......