Author Topic: Suggestion.  (Read 6203 times)

Offline Kyle Ricky

Suggestion.
« on: August 10, 2012, 12:54:25 AM »
Is there a hack for this forum platform (SMF) that will add a multiple quote feature? I am finding that I have to keep copying and pasting replies when I multi-quote them.

I always only used Invision Board, VBulletin or PHPbb when setting up forums (They have it). So I'm not sure if SMF does or not.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:56:28 AM by Kyle Ricky »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:17:51 AM »
Not that I know of.  You're free to find one that is compatible with SMF 1.1.11.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
I will look, Chris. Thanks.

Edit: It took all but 10 seconds

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2360
 :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
How is this different than using the "insert quote" feature to put multiple quotes in a reply?

I will look, Chris. Thanks.

Edit: It took all but 10 seconds

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2360
  :-)

Not that I know of.  You're free to find one that is compatible with SMF 1.1.11.

Is there a hack for this forum platform (SMF) that will add a multiple quote feature? I am finding that I have to keep copying and pasting replies when I multi-quote them.

I always only used Invision Board, VBulletin or PHPbb when setting up forums (They have it). So I'm not sure if SMF does or not.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »
How is this different than using the "insert quote" feature to put multiple quotes in a reply?

What it does is allow you to select posts to quote. Then when you hit 'Reply' at the bottom of the screen, or top of the scree (if there is one there) it will show them all in the reply, thus saving you time to have to click reply on each one and copy and paste them one by one. It is a great feature.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 10:52:38 AM »
What it does is allow you to select posts to quote. Then when you hit 'Reply' at the bottom of the screen, or top of the scree (if there is one there) it will show them all in the reply, thus saving you time to have to click reply on each one and copy and paste them one by one. It is a great feature.

When you hit reply and scroll down through the previous comments below the reply there is an "insert quote" under the time/date stamp for each post.  I just use that for multiple quotes.

Offline Undies

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
When you hit reply and scroll down through the previous comments below the reply there is an "insert quote" under the time/date stamp for each post.  I just use that for multiple quotes.

You deserve a prize today!   :clap:

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »
When you hit reply and scroll down through the previous comments below the reply there is an "insert quote" under the time/date stamp for each post.  I just use that for multiple quotes.

Well, I will be danged. I had no idea that was there. Thanks for telling me. Hi5.. That does make it easier.

Like I said in my first post. I only ever set up boards with IPB, Vbulletin, and PHPbb. I know absolutely nothing about SMF.  :-)

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:24 AM »
Well, I will be danged. I had no idea that was there. Thanks for telling me. Hi5.. That does make it easier.

Like I said in my first post. I only ever set up boards with IPB, Vbulletin, and PHPbb. I know absolutely nothing about SMF.  :-)

That is what you were wanting to be able to do, wasn't it?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:26:07 AM »

Now wait, what?  I'm missing something here.

Although it needs pointed out I have no problem, no problem at all, inserting quotes.

What I do when posting an original topic or a comment, I just click that icon on the second row, second from the right, in that array of choices given above the space where one writes the reply.

And then I copy-and-paste what I want quoted, in between the ][.

Easy as strawberries-and-cream, and even if it's the wrong way, it obviously hasn't slown me down any.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »
Now wait, what?  I'm missing something here.

Although it needs pointed out I have no problem, no problem at all, inserting quotes.

What I do when posting an original topic or a comment, I just click that icon on the second row, second from the right, in that array of choices given above the space where one writes the reply.

And then I copy-and-paste what I want quoted, in between the ][.

Easy as strawberries-and-cream, and even if it's the wrong way, it obviously hasn't slown me down any.

Or, I guess I do it thundley's way too.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
Or, I guess I do it thundley's way too.

If I'm bringing something over from the Island of Damned souls, I usually type out [qu.ote] [/qu.ote]  .  It seems just as fast as clicking the quote button.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »
That is what you were wanting to be able to do, wasn't it?

Yes, it is.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
If I'm bringing something over from the Island of Damned souls, I usually type out [qu.ote] [/qu.ote]  .  It seems just as fast as clicking the quote button.

Yeah, I obviously misunderstood the original question.

I forget that I have almost as many "topics posted" as "comments," and was thinking along the line of bringing threads over, not quoting another member's comments.

My apologies.

Your way and my way with the quote button (or typing it out rather than using the button) work equally well.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 11:40:10 AM »
We turned off multiple quotes because people would quote others and the posts got to be quite lengthy because of all of the "quotes". It really sucked having to scroll down an entire page just to read a short comment. If one is intent on inserting quotes, it can still be done, manually. At a minimum, it keeps the quotes germane to the discussion.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline CG6468

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
Or snipped to indicate which part is being referred to.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »

I did not know that. Thanks.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »
I did not know that. Thanks.

Whoa.

I learned something new.

I hadn't noticed that either; I just used to copy-and-paste.

But since I'm used to it, I suppose I'll continue copying-and-pasting.

<<once gets used to something, doesn't change.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »
We turned off multiple quotes because people would quote others and the posts got to be quite lengthy because of all of the "quotes". It really sucked having to scroll down an entire page just to read a short comment. If one is intent on inserting quotes, it can still be done, manually. At a minimum, it keeps the quotes germane to the discussion.

I can see some of them getting quit lengthy. I find doing multiple quotes better than replying to multiple posts, separately.