Author Topic: losing weight on World War II-era recipes  (Read 6173 times)

Offline debk

Re: losing weight on World War II-era recipes
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »
Nah, mine is a good cook too. She can make anything out of anything and it tastes good. Brits are resourceful that's for sure.

As for traditional British food: they have the art of picnic buffet to a science ie scotch eggs and sausage rolls.....YUM

and Dundee Cake is a fruitcake that's actually edible, not to mention the affinity for alcohol in their desserts :whistling: Good stuff

Just looked up "Dundee Cake" on internet and saw the pictures.

My mother made what she called a fruit cake, with walnuts in it, and made in in an angel food cake pan.

The pictures of the "white" Dundee cake look just like it!!!

I have tried for years to find a recipe like what my mother would make. Her recipe box was lost soon after she died,(when I was 13) and that recipe was has been "gone" to me. Her fruit cake was nothing like what sells as fruit cake these days. Hers was like a golden colored pound cake with cherries, raisins, and peels with chopped walnuts. More cake than fruit or nuts.

One of the other's I have tried and not been able to find, is what she called Bishop's Bread. She made it in a 9x13 and cut it into 4 loaf like slabs. I would get a couple of pieces in the morning for breakfast with butter spread on it. It had a crumb-type topping and was the consistency of like pumpkin or banana bread.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.