Author Topic: Wake n'Bacon wakes you with freshly cooked bacon  (Read 9473 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Wake n'Bacon wakes you with freshly cooked bacon
« on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:05 PM »

Food and product blogs and websites are a fun and necessary part of an FC editor’s job. How else can we stay on top of what’s going on in the world of food?  Here is a little something that I discovered the other day on CoolestGadgets.com. As a bacon-lover from way back, I think this alarm clock is pure genius!

Yes, that’s right, this is an alarm clock that wakes you gently in the morning with the aroma of sizzling bacon. How is this miracle possible, you ask?  Just pop a frozen strip of bacon into the little tray before you go to sleep, set the alarm, and about 10 minutes before you’re set to wake the clock flips an internal switch and two tiny halogen lamps begin to cook your bacon.  The aroma wafts over you as your dreams turn to breakfast, and the alarm begins to chime... what is that wonderful smell, you think groggily?  Ah yes, it’s your fabulous alarm clock with bacon benefits, ready with your first food treat of the day.  The only thing better is not setting an alarm at all.

http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?nav=main&webtag=fc-kitchensink&entry=181
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Wake n'Bacon wakes you with freshly cooked bacon
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »
O M G

I want one.

I can hear my arteries clogging as we speak!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Woody

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:28:20 PM »
...and v1.1 will heat up maple syrup, and drizzle it over the bacon...  (I wish)

Bacon: Meat Candy.

Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 09:29:32 PM »
never been a huge fan of bacon & syrup.  I like my bacon unadulterated (except for pepper).

Now, syrup and SAUSAGE, that's a completely different animal. :yum:
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:59:21 PM »
never been a huge fan of bacon & syrup.  I like my bacon unadulterated (except for pepper).

Now, syrup and SAUSAGE, that's a completely different animal. :yum:

Syrup goes on pancakes.  It should never touch anything salty.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
Mostly agreed, but I still like it on sausage.  Must be a bad childhood memory of overly-spiced sausage links.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 10:00:51 PM »
How funny -- on "How it's Made" they are featuring how bacon is made.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 10:01:57 PM »

I love that show.

I tried buying raw pork belly (pre-bacon bacon) for a Chinese recipe I had.  I couldn't find it.  :(

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »

I love that show.

I tried buying raw pork belly (pre-bacon bacon) for a Chinese recipe I had.  I couldn't find it.  :(

You need to go to real Chinese markets, like the kind we had in Montebello (CA).  We used to go there and they had all that kind of stuff, pork bellies, pig snouts, VERY fresh fish, bizarre sauces -- all very cool.  My boss was Chinese and we would have dim sum -- he would order in Chinese and we would get great service and interesting food.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 10:32:18 PM »
The closest thing I know of is the Mercado Internacional on Nolensville Rd (K&S Market).  I can always find lemongrass and football-sized malanga there (they make excellent chips).

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »
For pork bellies, one will probably need to go to their local butcher. Walmart carries some small chunks of side pork, but it wouldn't make much bacon.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 10:41:05 PM »
My local butcher is the guy at the Kroger store.  :(

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
The closest thing I know of is the Mercado Internacional on Nolensville Rd (K&S Market).  I can always find lemongrass and football-sized malanga there (they make excellent chips).

Wrong ethnicity, I think.

That is something I will miss about L.A.-- best damn ethnic food west of New York.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 10:42:44 PM »

I love that show.

You need to go to real Chinese markets, like the kind we had in Montebello (CA).  We used to go there and they had all that kind of stuff, pork bellies, pig snouts, VERY fresh fish, bizarre sauces -- all very cool.  My boss was Chinese and we would have dim sum -- he would order in Chinese and we would get great service and interesting food.

They have fresh (live) tilapia for sale.  Dinner-plate sized fish swimming in 50-gallon tanks in the store.  You want it, you point at it.

If I could mass-produce and market fried malanga chips, I could put Lays out of business.  Those things are wonderful.  Terra does small batches of spiced sweet potato and malanga.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 10:44:27 PM »

That is something I will miss about L.A.-- best damn ethnic food west of New York.

They have a little bit of everything.  It's a big place.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 10:46:14 PM »

I love that show.

They have fresh (live) tilapia for sale.  Dinner-plate sized fish swimming in 50-gallon tanks in the store.  You want it, you point at it.

If I could mass-produce and market fried malanga chips, I could put Lays out of business.  Those things are wonderful.  Terra does small batches of spiced sweet potato and malanga.

I'll have to try that... great idea.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 10:52:02 PM »

They have a little bit of everything.  It's a big place.

That's the problem -- a place where Chinese is the predominant language is where you want to find the really cool stuff :)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 10:52:08 PM »

We served them as garnish at a Carribean/Cuban restaurant I used to work at.  They were supposed to be garnish.  It got to the point where people were asking for them as appetizers.

Fried plantains are excellent.  You have to cut them into slices and smash them flat with a hammer.  If you don't flatten them, or they come out too soft. Deep-fry them and cover them with chicken, peppers, and melted cheese. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 10:54:09 PM »

We served them as garnish at a Carribean/Cuban restaurant I used to work at.  They were supposed to be garnish.  It got to the point where people were asking for them as appetizers.

Fried plantains are excellent.  You have to cut them into slices and smash them flat with a hammer.  If you don't flatten them, or they come out too soft. Deep-fry them and cover them with chicken, peppers, and melted cheese. 

The problem is plantains are a bit expensive.

And damn you for making me hungry at this late hour!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 10:55:29 PM »

Sorry. :-)  I drink, I get hungry.

I remember the name of the plantains dish... tostones con pollo.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 10:56:04 PM »

Sorry. :-)  I drink, I get hungry.

I remember the name of the plantains dish... tostones con pollo.

Which means "chips and chicken."

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 10:57:19 PM »
Yup.  Close enough.

I have an excellent recipe for Ropa Vieja.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 10:59:00 PM »
Yup.  Close enough.

Old clothes?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 11:02:06 PM »
Yup.  Close enough.

Old clothes?

Dirty laundry.  Something like that.

It was shredded beef and peppper.  I use a similar recipe for my chilli.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 11:04:15 PM »
Yup.  Close enough.

Chorizo, Carne Seca and huevos, si?

One of my favorites.  I get Carne Seca from Monterrey, Mx when I go there -- it lasts forever.