Author Topic: Favorite Biblical Verses  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Favorite Biblical Verses
« on: January 03, 2008, 08:58:50 PM »
What is your favorite Bible verse or verses? Here is mine.

The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you.
-Leviticus 11:6 (NIV)

:evillaugh: :rocker:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: Favorite Biblical Verses
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 09:24:59 PM »
God helps those who help themselves.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:50:44 PM »

Galatians 3:28         

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Second Timothy 1:7

For God has not given us the Spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:03:47 AM »
I have 2 favorites.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

Psalm 23
   The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 06:06:10 AM »
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.  Phil 4:13
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 02:28:26 AM »
I dunno; there's so much good stuff one can't decide.

I do prefer, on spiritual matters alone, to concentrate on those things that remind us of the Glory, the Power, the Majesty of God.

On things political, celtic rose has a most-excellent one (about not using other people's money to do "good works"), a really really really awesome one, but I can't quote it exactly.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:30:19 AM »
Proverbs 3:5

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:23:16 PM »
I dunno; there's so much good stuff one can't decide.

I do prefer, on spiritual matters alone, to concentrate on those things that remind us of the Glory, the Power, the Majesty of God.

On things political, celtic rose has a most-excellent one (about not using other people's money to do "good works"), a really really really awesome one, but I can't quote it exactly.

My quote on CU is actually not in the Bible.  It is a quote from Saint Isaac the Syrian, Bishop of Nineveh sometime during the 7th century:

If thou sowest among the poor, sow from among thy own possessions; what thou sowest from those of others is much more bitter than weeds

Some of my favorite Bible passages are Proverbs 31:10-31.  Passage on what constitutes being a virtuous woman. 

Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatever thing are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning

And this thread reminds me of just how bad I am about memorizing Bible verses  :uhsure:

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 07:16:05 AM »
I have two verses that I've been pondering lately

Romans 13:11-12
And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.

1 Corinthians 13:4-12
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 07:18:10 AM »
I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 06:50:35 PM »
Rev 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 11:31:49 PM »
God helps those who help themselves.

http://www.gotquestions.org/God-help-themselves.html

Proverbs 28:26  He who trusts in himself is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom is kept safe.

Sorry.   :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 11:34:01 PM by jinxmchue »

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.

Pretty hot and kinky stuff from a book that supposedly is against sex (or so the Bible/Christian-bashers claim), isn't it?    ;)

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 11:38:10 PM »
My life verse(s):

At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

--Titus 3:3-7

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 08:45:08 AM »

Pretty hot and kinky stuff from a book that supposedly is against sex (or so the Bible/Christian-bashers claim), isn't it?    ;)

My mom didn't let me read Song of Solomon until I was at least in High School ;)  She was pretty strict about those Old Testament stories when I was little too :p

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 09:00:55 AM »
See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Of course :)  It has been part of every prayer I've ever said for her.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.  Matthew 19:24
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline seemomgonuts

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 10:11:41 PM »
Romans 8:38-39

38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »
John 6:35  Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.

2 Samuel 22:31  "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

Proverbs 30:5  "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

Proverbs 14:7  Stay away from a foolish man, for you will not find knowledge on his lips.