Author Topic: clarification of rules  (Read 3006 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
clarification of rules
« on: November 07, 2011, 05:08:13 PM »
Yesterday, Sunday, something happened, and I was asked about its impact upon the nomination and voting for the Top Ten DUmmies of 2011, which caused me to check the rules.

The official nominating thread will be posted on Sunday, November 20, but “locked” to nominations and comments until Thanksgiving Eve, Wednesday, November 23.  It’s done that way so members have the leisure just to read, and not to bother with thinking of nominations and comments until later.

As most might recall, the description of the rules is pretty long, and I don’t want to make it even longer with this clarification of the rules.  So this clarification of the rules will not be in the official nominating thread, although this is intended to be considered part of that.

The rules state that any primitive who has been afoot Skins’s island any time during the past year is eligible for nomination and selection.

It doesn’t make any difference if the primitive was just there a short time, or was subsequently mausoleumed.  Just so the primitive showed up on Skins’s island during the past year, nothing more than that.

But that wasn’t exactly the question, and so I had to read things more thoroughly to get the answer to the real question.

The rules say nothing about the state of existence of a primitive at the time of nomination and selection.

And so the answer is, even if a primitive has left this vale of tears, if the primitive was hanging around Skins’s island during the past year, the primitive is eligible for nomination and selection.

Such would of course involve a certain, uh, complication in writing the award, but that’s my problem, not anybody else’s.  It’s a matter that requires gentleness, sensitivity, delicacy, and good taste.

It would demand the talents to write something that a grieving widow, for example, upon reading it in the newspapers, would be so comforted and solaced by it, that she’d take the scissors, cut it out, have it laminated, and use it as a book-mark in her well-thumbed and oft-read Bible.

If I had to, I could do that, write something like that.

Another question was asked; what if a primitive not in our current mutual state of existence actually won first place in the selection, how would that make the other primitives feel, especially those who appear to be leading in general sentiment at the moment?

I have no idea how living primitives would react to being displaced by a primitive in another time and place, but one is compelled to acquiesce to the popular will of the people, letting the chips fall where they may.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: clarification of rules
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
Deadstone hasn't been a significant contributor since TiT got the rock.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 08:19:25 PM »
Deadstone hasn't been a significant contributor since TiT got the rock.

But the rules say a primitive's got to have appeared on Skins's island only a single time, in order to qualify for nomination and selection, and the late bird-smacking stoned red-faced primitive met that for 2011.

I'm not boosting Redstone as a possible successor to the wretched old bitch Proud2BLib, last year's winner, but simply, as the obligations of my job require, pointing out that those not in favor of nadin do have an alternative choice.

It's true the late Chief S itting Bull didn't make any remarkable comments all year long on Skins's island, but one has to admit his going from this time and place was itself remarkable.  Sometimes what one does is more important than what one says.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »
I have no problem with him being a legal comptetitor, I just don't personally think he's done anything this past year to earn it. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:12:49 AM »
I have no problem with him being a legal comptetitor, I just don't personally think he's done anything this past year to earn it. 

The possibility of him TSing himself tops what most DUmmies have achieved this year.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:15:44 AM »
The possibility of him TSing himself tops what most DUmmies have achieved this year.

We can only hope they all achieve similar goals in the near future.  However, laubable as it was, it really wasn't anything he posted.

:-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »
Since Nads already has DOTY in the bag I am thinking a lifetime achievement award for the late bird smacker.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
Since Nads already has DOTY in the bag I am thinking a lifetime achievement award for the late bird smacker.

That's something important, too.

There's the "Willie," one of the two special awards, for spreading and enhancing the reputation and goodwill of Skins's island.

Previous winners were TomInTib, William Pitt, and BouncyBall, who did yeoman service establishing and burnishing the good name of Skins's island.

As for Tanker's concern, that Redstone had said nothing remarkable on Skins's island during 2011, true, very true, but he was still a "presence," and sometimes what one does says more than what one says.

I'm sure, for example, that off Skins's island and into real life, if the "Taverner" primitive finally loses it, as he inevitably must, grabs a machine-gun and heads towards the Christmas-shopping crowds at Shopko, well, nadin would have to spend another year campaigning for top primitive.....

I dunno.  At this point, myself, all I've personally decided upon is to nominate grouchy old Don and my fellow Nebraskan, Omaha's Ed Norton. 

I was getting ready to commit myself to nominating Mrs. Alfred Packer, the hippywife primitive, for the "Willie," but AprilRazz has offered an alternative I never thought of before.
apres moi, le deluge