Author Topic: how come  (Read 5026 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
how come
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »
How come when I got up this morning, I was shown with 5800 "topics started" in the "more stats" section here--and then after posting three threads in the DUmpster, I am shown with 5802 "topics started"?

None of the threads were merged with another thread, subtracting from the total.

Top Topic Starters

franksolich               5802
bijou                       3230
thundley4               3095
chris_               1896
SGT Snuggle Bunny    1687
Freeper               1476
Wretched Excess       1396
asdf2231                 926
TheSarge                 774
GOBUCKS                 748

Thanks.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Re: how come
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »
How come when I got up this morning, I was shown with 5800 "topics started" in the "more stats" section here--and then after posting three threads in the DUmpster, I am shown with 5802 "topics started"?

None of the threads were merged with another thread, subtracting from the total.

Top Topic Starters

franksolich               5802
bijou                       3230
thundley4               3095
chris_               1896
SGT Snuggle Bunny    1687
Freeper               1476
Wretched Excess       1396
asdf2231                 926
TheSarge                 774
GOBUCKS                 748

Thanks.

Maybe they grade on merit?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »
Maybe they grade on merit?

You got me, but there must be a quirk somewhere.

I feel as if the Cook County election commissioner's counting the "topics started" now.

This is NOT a request for correction; I want to watch it for a while, to see if it happens again.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »
Check it again.  Is it correct now?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 01:32:05 PM »
Check it again.  Is it correct now?

Nope.  Still one short, should be 5804.

(It went from 5802 to 5803 when I posted this question, by the way.)

But please don't anybody correct it.  I want to see if it happens again.

We being conservatives and Republicans, as opposed to Democrats, liberals, and primitives, take the honesty and accuracy of numbers seriously, sometimes to the point (in my case) of being anal about it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:39:32 PM »
Do threads get deleted after a certain amount of time?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 01:40:48 PM »
Do threads get deleted after a certain amount of time?

I don't think so.  I think they're permanent unless Thor gets a wild hair in his ass.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »

Wait just a ******* second.....

Frank, you know the respect and admiration I have for you, right? You know I love ya more than my Rick Bayliss Chef's knife, right????

You mean to tell me you're breaking balls over ONE ****ING POST?!?!?!?!?

Meine Gott en Himmel, sir....tear yourself down from the Cross, take down the wood, build a bridge AND GET OVER IT!!!!  :tongue:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
Wait just a ******* second.....

Frank, you know the respect and admiration I have for you, right? You know I love ya more than my Rick Bayliss Chef's knife, right????

You mean to tell me you're breaking balls over ONE ****ING POST?!?!?!?!?

Meine Gott en Himmel, sir....tear yourself down from the Cross, take down the wood, build a bridge AND GET OVER IT!!!!  :tongue:

Actually, I am more concerned about the accuracy of the numbers than I am for any other reason.

To me, it suggests there might be some fluke in the software, and perhaps the error's occurring on other items too.  We'll see, which is why I don't want the correction made; I don't want anything tampered with.

I dunno what the administrators use the numbers for, but I myself use them to assess how conservativecave's doing, and where conservativecave's going; speculative stuff based upon good numbers.

I'm not going to muddy the waters any more, but actually I have more than 5804 "topics started;" perhaps about 6000, but that shows the integrity of the counting system here (which is why my upsetness over this issue); I've started topics which were duplicates of topics started by others, and in fact am perhaps the most duplicitous topic starter on conservativecave.

Usually it was Freeper who beat me to posting something by 5-10 seconds or something, and the two threads had to be merged, his being earlier than mine taking precedence, and so one "topic started" would be subtracted from my own total.  I figured this has happened a couple of hundred times, since January 2008.

(Freeper and I are usually of the same mind, and if we're on Skins's island at the same time, this happens.)
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »
Actually, I am more concerned about the accuracy of the numbers than I am for any other reason.

Please tell me you understand that I was simply trying lamely to be comical!!!

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »

Yeah, I understand, or understood.

But there's a certain phenomenon in real life that I do on the internet too.  I dunno why I do it, but I do it.

I was answering you, sir, but actually I was directing my comment at someone else (in this case subtly cussing out Thor).

In real life a lot of times, I might be with persons A and B.  Person A says something that needs a response from me, and so I duly respond.....but aiming the reply at Person B.

I dunno how this evolved, why it evolved, but I've done it all my life, and am too old to change now.

Habitues of the DUmpster are familiar with this, easily seeing when my comments are directed to the choir here, or directed to the lurking primitives.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »

Uh....speaking of "comical", your usage of German is funny as hell.

It's "mein Gott im Himmel..." meaning the possessive pronoun "mein" takes the masculine form due to its object "der Gott" which is, of course, masculine.

And the preposition "in" takes the dative case, which, when linked up to its object "Himmel" (which is also masculine), changes to the dative form "im".

It's complicated.

But it's funny as hell.

:-)

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
Uh....speaking of "comical", your usage of German is funny as hell.

It's "mein Gott im Himmel..." meaning the possessive pronoun "mein" takes the masculine form due to its object "der Gott" which is, of course, masculine.

And the preposition "in" takes the dative case, which, when linked up to its object "Himmel" (which is also masculine), changes to the dative form "im".

It's complicated.

But it's funny as hell.

:-)

He's Danish, what would you expect??  :fuelfire:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 03:51:47 PM »
It's the man trying to hold you down, Frank.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
It's the man trying to hold you down, Frank.

Well, I wondered.

I wondered if perhaps there's a Democrat in the administration here, who might've thought, "Well, franksolich already has more than enough, so I'm going to redistribute some of his numbers to someone who has less."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »
I've run a maintenance script that recalculates the forum statistics but if you say your numbers haven't changed, it beats me.  There's a chance an old thread was merged with a newer one that you may not be aware of.  I will do that occasionally if I come across multiple threads that discuss the same topic that are no longer on the front page(s).  There's a possibility I could have done that at some point... I would have to go back and check.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
I've run a maintenance script that recalculates the forum statistics but if you say your numbers haven't changed, it beats me.  There's a chance an old thread was merged with a newer one that you may not be aware of.  I will do that occasionally if I come across multiple threads that discuss the same topic that are no longer on the front page(s).  There's a possibility I could have done that at some point... I would have to go back and check.

But don't worry about it, sir.

I'll just keep watching, and if the quirk happens again, I'll holler so we'll know we have to look for it.

But until then, no problem.
apres moi, le deluge