Author Topic: grouchy old primitive has problems with apple trees  (Read 600 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
grouchy old primitive has problems with apple trees
« on: December 03, 2009, 05:28:43 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=268x3041

Oh my.

The grouchy old primitive, from just south of Chicago:

NNN0LHI  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-30-09 08:06 PM
Original message

I have an Osage Orange tree that has stopped producing fruit. Any ideas why?

It has been producing hedge apples by the thousands for the past twenty years I have lived here. I think its about a 100 years old. Few years ago it began producing fewer and fewer apples and this year only a couple. Is it reaching its life span and dying? Has it changed sexes? Can they do that? The male trees never have produced any fruit. Does it have something to do with climate change?

Anyone familiar with these trees?

mn9driver  (681 posts)        Mon Nov-30-09 08:19 PM
Response to Original message

1. Osage Orange trees can live a very long time.

There are several specimens on the east coast documented to be around 300 years old. Big fruits like horse apples take a lot of resources. The tree is probably stressed in some way: Drought, root damage, etc.

NNN0LHI  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-30-09 08:40 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Thank you for the info

She looks very healthy accept for the lack of fruit. Hope I don't lose her. I like these trees. Got ten of them bordering my property with a farm field. A couple of the males are about 60 feet tall.

Trees have genders?

pscot  (1000+ posts)        Wed Dec-02-09 06:19 PM
Response to Original message

3. I understand the wood makes a great longbow.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: grouchy old primitive has problems with apple trees
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:55:19 AM »
  I too was wondering about the gender issue.

Trees are odd critters, I have heard of people placing wire around ageing apple trees and giving them a low dose of shock to open the artery's the sap flows through.    Some old timers will actually take a broom stick and thump the trunk of a tree to " Wake it up " as they called it.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:27:13 AM »
Why on God's green earth anyone would WANT an osage orange to produce fruit is beyond me.  Daggum mess of a tree that is. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:02:33 AM »
The male trees never have produced any fruit. Does it have something to do with climate change?
With that question, the DUmmy certifies himself as an Official Nitwit.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »
My property used to be an apple orchard, planted over a hundred years ago. Most of the trees are gone, but there are still three or four down back. Not even sure what kind they are, the trees are pretty big by today's standards, and the apples are smaller than a baseball, red mottled colored skin, and on the tart side. They make good pie, and are good for eating too. I've had this place for six seasons now. Production is usually pretty good, but this year, and two or three years ago, there were no apples at all. So in my experience, two out of three years are good.

There is one tree that was broken over in the ice storm ten years ago. The tree is on its side, connected to the trunk by no more than a quarter inch of splintered wood. But that tree top laying on the ground still pumps out an impressive number of apples.

Offline kenth

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »
Why on God's green earth anyone would WANT an osage orange to produce fruit is beyond me.  Daggum mess of a tree that is. 

That's what I was just thinking. Damned Bois D'Arc. I suppose if one likes being flayed alive by the spines or covered in sticky rotting horse apples, it would be perfect. Being a dummie, I imagine he probably eats them thinking they're normally edible. Or he smokes them.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 02:46:24 AM »
I'm pretty sure it has to be climate change.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:59:34 AM »
That's what I was just thinking. Damned Bois D'Arc. I suppose if one likes being flayed alive by the spines or covered in sticky rotting horse apples, it would be perfect. Being a dummie, I imagine he probably eats them thinking they're normally edible. Or he smokes them.

I loathe those trees.

Love your avatar!   :cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 10:54:16 AM »
Reduction of agricultural output is just one effect of a cooler climate.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.