Author Topic: Dems screw over small business owner during Republican convention  (Read 651 times)

Offline jinxmchue

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...538802&catid=2

The owner of the Covington Inn Bed and Breakfast at Harriet Island says she's in a terrible situation.

She says a group of Democrats, rented her inn during the Republican National Convention to protest Republicans and never fully paid the bill.

There is no doubt Liz Miller's boat, which is docked across from downtown St. Paul and doubles as the four-room Covington Inn, couldn't have been in a better spot to host a group for the RNC.

"I knew I would very easily get it booked," said Miller.

Like other St. Paul business owners, Miller figured she could charge a little more to help offset off-season costs.

But she didn't think five months later she would still be trying to collect from the group who rented the place out.

"First they wanted the jumbotron up here somewhere," said Miller standing on the top deck of the Covington Inn.

The non-profit group True Blue Minnesota wanted to stage a huge video screen on the deck of the boat, across from the Xcel Energy Center..

The City of St. Paul said the jumbotron exceeded noise ordinances for the Covington so True Blue put it up near the Cathedral of Saint Paul.

Miller says the boat was booked for six days for $7,200. $3,500 of it still has not been paid off.

"It didn't work out so good," said Miller. "All I can say is I hope it gets resolved."

True Blue Minnesota is now defunct and no longer exists, one of the creators said this is all a private matter.

She added, that it's being handled by attorneys and the money owed to the Covington is one of the last settlements they have to take care of regarding the RNC.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Dems screw over small business owner during Republican convention
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
My in-laws run a bed-and-breakfast near the south rim of the Grand Canyon.  They'll bend over backwards to work with you, but no paid in full at check-in time, no stay at their bed-and-breakfast.

If this lady can get her money out of a band of tax cheats, embezzlers and theives, more power to her.  If not, this should be a "live and learn" moment for her.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.