Author Topic: Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet  (Read 597 times)

Offline thundley4

Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet
« on: December 25, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »
SCIENTISTS have warned that Christmas lights are bad for the planet due to huge electricity waste and urged people to get energy efficient festive bulbs.

CSIRO researchers said householders should know that each bulb turned on in the name of Christmas will increase emissions of greenhouse gases.

Dr Glenn Platt, who leads research on energy demand, said Australia got 80 per cent of its electricity by burning coal which pumps harmful emissions into the atmosphere.

He said: "Energy efficient bulbs, such as LEDs, and putting your Christmas lights on a timer are two very easy ways to minimise the amount of electricity you use to power your lights."
The Land Down Under.

What's with all these environuts coming from Australia?  I'll admit that we bought some of the LED lights, but only after they went on sale and it was too late to use them this year. I even bought an extra string just to have the cheap LEDs to play with.

Offline Flame

Re: Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
Hmmm....so leaving my tree lit all day while I'm home would is probably killing the planet?   Cool!

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 09:52:21 AM »

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »
Clark Griswold must have to buy a LOT of carbon offsets!

[youtube=425,350]8qc_RYm0ylA[/youtube]

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin