Author Topic: Chrome Dome laden with hormones  (Read 603 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Chrome Dome laden with hormones
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/11578825

Oh my.

Stinky The Clown (45,794 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Wherein I discuss hormone laden eggs

Today I used the last two eggs in a dozen gotten at the local Safeway.

The twelve eggs in that dozen produced twenty four yolks. I recall, as a kid, what an event it was when one of my grandfather's chickens produced a double yolk. There was some sort of folklore associated with it, but I can't recall what, exactly, it was. I seem to recall that the egg should be eaten by any young married woman who wished to conceive. Or something like that. In any case, the double yolk was a big deal and, in the case of the chickens from my grandfather's coop, an all natural occurrence.

My dozen of double yolked eggs was probably not quite so natural. My dozen of double yolked eggs was likely a chemical inducement. A hormonal grease applied to the laying mechanism of the little birds. A little help to keep them a-laying.

Why are fresh, local eggs 50% more cost?

Cost aside, hopfuly this will be my last experience with eggs from the sooper market. As long as I can find fresh, local eggs at places like roadside farm stands, that's what I'll buy.

It's Safeway.

Safeway's so 1960s-ish.

Just like Chrome Dome's basement with its faux walls.

Coyote_Bandit (6,477 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

2. I grew up on a farm among other things we had a commercial egg operation where we produced hatchery eggs. I've known more than a few commercial egg producers - including folks that produced commercial quantities of organic and free range eggs.

Eggs are sorted - and sold - by size. At any given time across a flock of chickens you will find some that produce very small eggs and some that produce very, very large eggs. As chickens age they tend to produce eggs that have thinner shells and multiple yolks. Eggs with multiple yolks tend to be jumbo size - sometimes larger. That pattern of egg production is consistent with what we see in our own species.

If the egg is labelled as organic then there are no chemicals, hormones or antibiotics used in the food, water or housing of the flock - or to treat any animal in the flock. In non-organic eggs, anti-biotic use in the feed is far more common than hormone use. Some of the premium egg producers have experimented widely with various feed formulas that produce flavored eggs that are sold to commercial bakeries. The distribution of food and water to a commercial flock is such that all recieve the same food and water.

Contrary to what is widely portrayed by animal rights activists not all commercial egg producers confine the chickens to small cages or feed anit-biotic and hormone ladden meal. I personally have known commercial egg producers for nearly 50 years and I have NEVER seen the kind of conditions often complained about. I have however on many occassions observed off-site video feeds to monitor the care and conditions of the flocks. Of course, this is the kind of stuff that is more commonly done by the larger name brand premium egg producers who are better able to absorb the expense.

Odds are you bought jumbo size non-organic eggs probably laid by an older flock of chickens. Try the large size eggs sold by the same producer and odds are that they will be almost exclusively single yolk eggs. And if you want to insure that you are not getting eggs that have been impacted by artifical hormones then buy organic.

As for fresh, local eggs - don't complain about the price. Even with the mark-up those producers are likely not earning a living wage. They do not have the volume of production or the distribution system of the large commercial producers to make that possible.

I dunno what Chrome Dome's complaining about.

franksolich dreams for the day he cracks open a fresh egg, and it's 100% yolk, no white, in it.

Denninmi (2,318 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

3. It may just be a matter of the sorting process.

Eggs go down the line and are visually inspected by "candling" with bright light. All of the unusual eggs are pulled out for special handling. Now, I don't know if that is what happened here, but perhaps they were manually packed into segregated cartons meant to go some other direction (processing?) and then ended up back on the line.

I have actually heard of some vendors at farm markets selling double yolked cartons for a premium.

I have my own birds, so no longer buy eggs. I get double yolkers quite often, probably on average once a week. A bonus.

wildeyed (6,429 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

5. I got a double yolk once from a very young bird.

What I read, their reproductive system is not quite ready to go yet and they produce odd eggs for a bit. I have had egg "farts" too. Very small eggs with no yolk at all.

It is very weird that you got an entire box of double yolks. I am guessing what someone else said, that they got pulled out and then accidentally sold.

I keep my own backyard flock, and it is much more expensive than buying store eggs when you account for the coop, food and medical costs. If you have access to building sites, it is possible to build a very nice coop from salvage, but it is some work too. Most people purchase something. Feed is expensive. My girls free range and get table scraps, but the bulk of their diet is pellets, especially in the heavy laying season. Medical costs. One of my girls got a scratched eyeball and I purchased ointment to treat it that was in the $30 range plus my time. How many cartons of commercial eggs can you get for $30? From a cost efficiency standpoint, it would have been smarter to let her suffer and maybe lose the eye. In a commercial operation, the injury would not have even been noted. If she got too sick, she would have been culled. So it all adds up.

I also do not cull. Chickens lay heavily for the first 2-3 years. After that they tend to slow down. Professional operations cull the older birds. To be honest, many small farms do too. But I do not. Everyone gets a meal ticket, even if they are not the most productive layer around.

On the plus side, the eggs from my backyard are much nicer than store eggs. Free range chickens eat weeds and bugs and get plenty of sunshine and fresh air, so the yolks are a bright golden color. Compare it to the anemic pastel yellow of store eggs. And there is likely less cruelty involved with smaller flocks. Mine is part of the family and our own tiny ecosystem.

So it is probably worth the small extra cost. Yanno, you could always get your own small flock. Chickens are surprisingly nice pets, in addition to being a great asset to the kitchen

Another hint, if you want to hard boil your local eggs, keep a dozen at the back of the fridge for a few weeks. Local eggs tend to be very fresh, and fresh eggs are hell to peel. I have had a few very unhappy deviled egg making sessions using too fresh eggs where the shells would not separate from the whites.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

Re: Chrome Dome laden with hormones
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:13 PM »
What a laughing stock!

Try peeing, standing up, in an upstairs bathroom.

Oh and ZERO BONG!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
I think stinky is flat out lying.  We only by large or extra large eggs, and I don't remember the last time there was a double yolk.

It amazes me that the DUmmies are all for taking all kinds of chemicals into their bodies to make them feel better/normal, but they don't chemicals used in their foods.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »
I buy only jumbo eggs, from a huge mega-grocery chain. I see a double yolk maybe a two or three times a year.

Twelve double yolks in a single dozen? And three iPads for every room in his house.

I don't remember the last time ol' Chrome Dome Mike told such an outrageous, ludicrous, transparent lie.

Of course, he's a DUmmy so he lies, all the time and every time, but normally he isn't this goofy and absurd.

He's become a little unhinged since his illusion of wealth went up in smoke.

If he's mafia, he's not a caporegime, he's just some low-grade punk's driver.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
It amazes me that the DUmmies are all for taking all kinds of chemicals into their bodies to make them feel better/normal, but they don't chemicals used in their foods.

That's what's always gotten me about primitives hypernervous about additives in food.

It's good to be nervous about additives in food.

Of course.

But then on the other hand the same primitives chomp on pharmaceuticals like popcorn, as if they aren't afraid of adding chemicals to their bodies.

Yeah, yeah, the medical establishment might say these drugs are safe, and probably the medical establishment is right most of the time (but not all the time, remember).....but the same medical establishment says all these additives in food are safe; otherwise the Food & Drug Administration would ban them.

I recall the hippywife primitive Mrs. Alfred Packer, who was dead-set against chemical foods....but she wasn't dead-set against using pills for women's problems, pills for altering her moods, pills for her high blood pressure, pills for to tranquilize her from the stress involved in dealing with hippyhubby Wild Bill.....

And it goes without saying that the vegetarian primitives who preach "eat healthy; avoid dangerous chemicals," are usually on a whole medicine-cabinet of pharmaceuticals.

It doesn't make sense.

Unless one is a primitive, I guess.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 08:30:44 AM »
I'm feeling very left out and unloved.   :bawl:  I don't recall a single instance of a double yolk in my lifetime so far.  And Stinky's trying to claim that every one of his dozen were doubles?  Seems to me that would be newsworthy, at least for News of the World, or Weekly World News.  Maybe it's the Apocalypse.  We saw Nadin making sense when it came to organ doning the other week.   :panic:

He's such a liar, and why they fall for each other hook line and sinker is beyond me. 

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
I have had egg "farts" too

Oh God, I have too!  Cleared the room I tell ya!  :lmao:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:15:51 AM »
I only buy Jumbo. My last dozen had three doubles in it. Prior to that, I hadn't seen one with a double in it for years.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »
StinkDude provides double yucks for everyone on CC. :rotf:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »
I buy the huge box weekly at Costco.  It has like 3 trays of large eggs.  I have a 6 egg cheese omelett each morning (2 yolks rest egg white).    :popcorn:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »
I'm feeling very left out and unloved.   :bawl:  I don't recall a single instance of a double yolk in my lifetime so far.  And Stinky's trying to claim that every one of his dozen were doubles?  Seems to me that would be newsworthy, at least for News of the World, or Weekly World News.  Maybe it's the Apocalypse.  We saw Nadin making sense when it came to organ doning the other week.   :panic:

He's such a liar, and why they fall for each other hook line and sinker is beyond me. 

Known fact, when following a recipe and it calls for ONE egg, they are talking about store bought eggs, as those from small farms or neighbors are much different.

Check out the ingredients on a bag of chicken feed, darn all the antibiotics and additives run down the bag.  

Chickens descended from the dinosaurs are carnivores, they eat meat, worms, bugs, hell they will eat each other given a chance.   To feed them just corn meal or what ever comes in the bought feed without meal worms is to place a baby on a vegan diet.  They survive but do not grow as they were meant to.

Back yard chickens allowed to free range are healthier and lay better then those kept cooped up with just chicken feed with all the additives.

Double yokes are a surprise today with store bought eggs, it means this one egg got past the inspection.   Blood spots mean the egg was fertilised but taken before the embryo could grow.    The reason a chief cooking for a Kosher meal will crack each egg separately in a dish , add to the preparation and go on to crack each egg separately.  If one cracks 6 eggs in a bowl all together and one has blood spots then the whole dish has to be thrown out.  

Allot of towns in the suburbs allow today people to keep a few chickens for family consumption of the eggs and the bird itself.   However most towns will not allow a Rooster for obvious reasons,  so I wonder how people into health find fertilised eggs as they believe in their health benefits.

Gina, what do you do with the other 4 egg yokes, do you use them in custard pies or to coat fried chicken or fish ???