Author Topic: Vatican confirms that Pelosi will have audience with the Pope  (Read 4525 times)

Offline thundley4

Vatican confirms that Pelosi will have audience with the Pope
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:37:09 AM »
"Vatican City, Feb 16, 2009 / 11:55 am (CNA).- On Monday at noon in Rome, the Vatican’s Press Office confirmed to CNA that Pope Benedict will be receiving U.S. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi in an audience at noon on Wednesday.

Pelosi, a self-proclaimed "ardent Catholic" who has sparked significant criticism from fellow Catholics in the U.S. for her pro-abortion views, arrived in Italy on Sunday for an eight-day official visit." CNA

Seriously, how can any supporter of abortion killing babies claim to be Christian, let alone Catholic?  Too bad the Pope isn't letting her travel all that way just to tell her that she has been ex-communicated. :evillaugh:

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Vatican confirms that Pelosi will have audience with the Pope
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »
I thought it was the pope that said that voting for a pro-abortion politician was a sin?? Now, he's meeting with one ?!?!?!? The Catholic church is demonstrating that they aren't even willing to follow their own rules.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »
I certainly hope he is meeting with her to convince her of the error of her thinking.....if he can't....then I hope to hell he kicks her out of the Church!!.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »
I thought it was the pope that said that voting for a pro-abortion politician was a sin?? Now, he's meeting with one ?!?!?!? The Catholic church is demonstrating that they aren't even willing to follow their own rules.

Yes, that's what the Pope said.

And I rather think most decent and civilized people think the same about pro-abortion politicians.

The Pope didn't invite Bela Pelosi; she invited herself.

The Pope has the obligation to meet with whomever wants to meet him; meeting with someone does not imply Papal "endorsement" of that person.

It's part of his job, although not always a pleasant part.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:30:41 AM »

The Pope has the obligation to meet with whomever wants to meet him; meeting with someone does not imply Papal "endorsement" of that person.

It's part of his job, although not always a pleasant part.

Then he will meet with me. I have a few things I need to explain to him.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:12:51 PM »
Well, they had the meeting, but no photographers.

That of course defeated the whole purpose of Bela Pelosi's visit, and speaks volumes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »
Pelosi, Pope Have No Meeting of the Minds
U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican Wednesday morning, but may not have had a meeting of the minds if the two statements from their offices are any indication.

No journalists were at the 15-minute encounter and the Vatican and the speaker's offices have not released any photos. However, according to their statements it appears the pope and the politician attended two different get-togethers.

"His Holiness took the opportunity to speak of the requirements of the natural moral law and the Church's consistent teaching on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death which enjoins all Catholics, and especially legislators, jurists and those responsible for the common good of society, to work in cooperation with all men and women of good will in creating a just system of laws capable of protecting human life at all stages of its development," the Vatican wrote, having released the statement moments before the two met.

Several hours later, Pelosi's office gave her take on the tete-a-tete.

"It is with great joy that my husband, Paul, and I met with his Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI today," Pelosi said in a statement released hours after the meeting. "In our conversation, I had the opportunity to praise the Church's leadership in fighting poverty, hunger and global warming, as well as the Holy Father's dedication to religious freedom and his upcoming trip and message to Israel. I was proud to show his Holiness a photograph of my family's papal visit in the 1950s, as well as a recent picture of our children and grandchildren."
FNC

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »
I used to be somewhat ambivalent about abortion until I read this book called, "The Lost Books of the Bible". In Barnabas XIV:11, it states,"Thou shalt not destroy thy conceptions before they are brought forth; nor kill them after they are born". That seems pretty clear to me. It always confused me because the standard King James version of the bible never truly addressed the abortion issue. "Thou shalt not commit murder" seemed pretty vague when it came to pregnant women because of the controversy of exactly when life begins.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 02:39:21 PM »
Pelosi, Pope Have No Meeting of the Minds
U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met Pope Benedict XVI at the Vatican Wednesday morning, but may not have had a meeting of the minds if the two statements from their offices are any indication.

No journalists were at the 15-minute encounter and the Vatican and the speaker's offices have not released any photos. However, according to their statements it appears the pope and the politician attended two different get-togethers.

"His Holiness took the opportunity to speak of the requirements of the natural moral law and the Church's consistent teaching on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death which enjoins all Catholics, and especially legislators, jurists and those responsible for the common good of society, to work in cooperation with all men and women of good will in creating a just system of laws capable of protecting human life at all stages of its development," the Vatican wrote, having released the statement moments before the two met.

Several hours later, Pelosi's office gave her take on the tete-a-tete.

"It is with great joy that my husband, Paul, and I met with his Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI today," Pelosi said in a statement released hours after the meeting. "In our conversation, I had the opportunity to praise the Church's leadership in fighting poverty, hunger and global warming, as well as the Holy Father's dedication to religious freedom and his upcoming trip and message to Israel. I was proud to show his Holiness a photograph of my family's papal visit in the 1950s, as well as a recent picture of our children and grandchildren."
FNC

Let's see....SHE PRAISED the Church's leadership and the Holy Father's dedication.  Hmmmm....I'm sure that the Holy Father was grateful to receive HER PRAISE for himself and on behalf of the Church for their actions.

And SHE WAS PROUD to show his Holiness....pictures of her family.  Again hmmmmm....PRIDE is a venial sin (which being a devout Catholic...she should know)....so I guess if you are going to commit a sin...might as well do it when referring to your audience with the POPE!

His statement was released PRIOR to their meeting. Wonder what his opinion of the meeting ...and her...was AFTER the meeting..... :uhsure:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:40:01 AM »
I used to be somewhat ambivalent about abortion until I read this book called, "The Lost Books of the Bible". In Barnabas XIV:11, it states,"Thou shalt not destroy thy conceptions before they are brought forth; nor kill them after they are born". That seems pretty clear to me. It always confused me because the standard King James version of the bible never truly addressed the abortion issue. "Thou shalt not commit murder" seemed pretty vague when it came to pregnant women because of the controversy of exactly when life begins.

Luke 1:39-43 and Genesis 25:22-24 cover that. Unborn children are human beings.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »
Luke 1:39-43 and Genesis 25:22-24 cover that. Unborn children are human beings.

Those seem to me to be some pretty ambiguous references, at best. Luke is about the virgin Mary and her friend, Elisabeth. The Genesis version is about how two different nations were formed.

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 12:27:07 AM »
Those seem to me to be some pretty ambiguous references, at best. Luke is about the virgin Mary and her friend, Elisabeth. The Genesis version is about how two different nations were formed.

In the Luke 1 passage, John the Baptist leaps for joy, though he is not yet born. In the Genesis 25 passage, Jacob and Esau struggle with each other, though they are not yet born. In other words, unborn babies are people, with real human characteristics.