Author Topic: Suspension of Nurse Who Offered to Pray for Patient's Recovery Sparks Uproar  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Suspension of Nurse Who Offered to Pray for Patient's Recovery Sparks Uproar

The British nurse who was suspended without pay for offering to pray for a patient's recovery has been reinstated and will return to work in the next few days.

Caroline Petrie, an evangelical Christian from Weston-super-Mare, was subjected to disciplinary action by North Somerset Primary Care Trust even though the patient was not offended and made no complaint.

Petrie, who was supported by the Christian Legal Centre, was summoned last week to a disciplinary hearing on the charge that she had failed to demonstrate a "personal and professional commitment to equality and diversity."

North Somerset Primary Care Trust said Thursday that it recognized Petrie, a mother of two, had been acting in the "best interests of her patients" and that nurses did not have to "set aside their faith" in the workplace and could "continue to offer high-quality care for patients while remaining committed to their beliefs."

It also conceded that for some people prayer was an "integral part of health care and the healing process."

*snip*

According to a document published by the Department of Health last month, any attempt by a doctor or nurse to proselytize during the course of their work is to be considered harassment or intimidation and will be subject to disciplinary procedures.

How long before Unca Zero signs an executive order like this or tries to get it into federal law?  Once he's nationalized our entire healthcare system, it should be relatively easy for him to do.

MORE
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline MrsSmith

He'd have to close down all the Christian hospitals first...but I can see that happening.  If FOCA causes lawsuits everywhere to force all medical facilities to offer abortions, Christians will close or sell out.  (Which would be pretty horrible to start with, as the most efficiently run not-for-profits just happen to be those owned by Christian groups.) 

Of course, most Christians will get out of healthcare period, so he probably won't have much trouble enforcing his no-free-speech hospitals.  Certainly not in comparison to the trouble he'll have in finding staff for them...

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Sam Adams

He'd have to close down all the Christian hospitals first...but I can see that happening.  If FOCA causes lawsuits everywhere to force all medical facilities to offer abortions, Christians will close or sell out.  (Which would be pretty horrible to start with, as the most efficiently run not-for-profits just happen to be those owned by Christian groups.) 

Of course, most Christians will get out of healthcare period, so he probably won't have much trouble enforcing his no-free-speech hospitals.  Certainly not in comparison to the trouble he'll have in finding staff for them...

Two words: Civil disobedience. It's time Christians grew a backbone.

Offline MrsSmith

Two words: Civil disobedience. It's time Christians grew a backbone.
Yeah...but I have a feeling that the group of nuns that owns our hospital chain will sell out or shut down when abortions must be provided.  I doubt civil disobedience will even occur to them.  On the other hand, if all Christians quit healthcare, there will be no US healthcare left.

Offline Sam Adams

Yeah...but I have a feeling that the group of nuns that owns our hospital chain will sell out or shut down when abortions must be provided.  I doubt civil disobedience will even occur to them.  On the other hand, if all Christians quit healthcare, there will be no US healthcare left.

Then you should make sure it occurs to them.

Offline MrsSmith

Then you should make sure it occurs to them.
:rotf: :rotf:  Sam, I've met our nuns.  Civil disobedience just isn't going to happen.  On the other hand, if Sister Dorothy takes it into her head to speak to Congress in the same way she used to handle 3rd graders...God only knows what could happen!   :lmao:

Offline Sam Adams

:rotf: :rotf:  Sam, I've met our nuns.  Civil disobedience just isn't going to happen.  On the other hand, if Sister Dorothy takes it into her head to speak to Congress in the same way she used to handle 3rd graders...God only knows what could happen!   :lmao:

I have not met your nuns, so I will defer to you on what they would, or would not, do.

Still, the point I ws trying to make stands. Christians are obligated to do two things. 1) They must minister to the sick and injured, to the best of their ability, and 2) they must not perform abortions. If that means breaking an unjust law, they must break it.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
How long before Unca Zero signs an executive order like this or tries to get it into federal law?  Once he's nationalized our entire healthcare system, it should be relatively easy for him to do.

MORE

There are a half dozen articles out of the UK that should drive people nuts this week