Author Topic: The Bible says pray for our leaders and enemies  (Read 4003 times)

Offline jinxmchue

The Bible says pray for our leaders and enemies
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
But what if the leader is our enemy the Antichrist predicted in Revelation?  Will we know in our hearts not to pray for him?

Offline MrsSmith

Re: The Bible says pray for our leaders and enemies
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:50:16 PM »
The church should be gone before the AntiChrist becomes the overall ruler.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »
But what if the leader is our enemy the Antichrist predicted in Revelation?  Will we know in our hearts not to pray for him?

Why not pray for him or her?  It doesn't say: "Pray for your leaders and enemies unless they are the Antichrist."  Maybe even the Antichrist has a choice.  And I recall something where Jesus said some people you wouldn't expect will be in Heaven and some you thought were dead ringers for entry wouldn't be there so maybe just because we think it is the Antichrist, it isn't.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:17:34 PM »
Why not pray for him or her?  It doesn't say: "Pray for your leaders and enemies unless they are the Antichrist."  Maybe even the Antichrist has a choice.  And I recall something where Jesus said some people you wouldn't expect will be in Heaven and some you thought were dead ringers for entry wouldn't be there so maybe just because we think it is the Antichrist, it isn't.

Wouldn't it be weird for Christ to command us to pray for Satan?

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »
Wouldn't it be weird for Christ to command us to pray for Satan?
I guess my main point is we can't assume we will know who the AC is just like we can't know when the end times will come.  So praying for our leaders seems just even if we think they are the AC.  Because we can't know.

Lots of leaders have been identified as the AC through the ages.

On the enemies side, I have prayed for people who seemed against me and they either disappeared from my life or became friends so...

Plus, even David prayed for Saul while Saul was hunting him and it could be argued that in his envy, Saul had become possessed by the spirit of the AC.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »
I guess my main point is we can't assume we will know who the AC is just like we can't know when the end times will come.  So praying for our leaders seems just even if we think they are the AC.  Because we can't know.

Lots of leaders have been identified as the AC through the ages.

On the enemies side, I have prayed for people who seemed against me and they either disappeared from my life or became friends so...

Plus, even David prayed for Saul while Saul was hunting him and it could be argued that in his envy, Saul had become possessed by the spirit of the AC.
OH, well, then yes, we should certainly pray for our leaders...and right now, we should pray frantically for our country!   :-)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 07:17:40 AM »
When the antichrist makes his appearance it will be because God has willed it to be so.

"The son of perdition shall not be revealed until He who lets lets."

Stop worrying about what your God ordains because it has a purpose.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I'm not going to get into the anti-christ thing because my study has lead me to an understanding of Revelation that is opposed to that of Calvinism and/or the premillenialists viewpoint.

However, praying for leaders is the right thing to do.  For instance with the current prez, your prayer would be directed in this manner.....

"Heavenly Father, I pray that our leaders will seek Your guidance and look to You in all that they do.  Your will be done in all things."

Does that mean our leaders will seek the guidance of God? Not necessarily.  But, your petition to God was that they would.  That's all you can do.  Remember, God allowed the Assyrians, Babylonians, Medes, Greeks, and Romans to come into power in order to fulfill His purposes.  Jesus reminded Pilate that Rome wouldn't even be in power were it not for His Father in heaven.  We seldom, if ever, can see the full picture when the events are happening, but God knows what he's going to accomplish and what needs to take place, we don't need to worry about that.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.