Author Topic: Twelve Myths every Catholic should be able to answer  (Read 2982 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Twelve Myths every Catholic should be able to answer
« on: December 23, 2008, 05:53:47 AM »
I dunno if this is relevant to most here, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

http://insidecatholic.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5116&Itemid=48

12 Myths Every Catholic Should Be Able to Answer

It's long, with explanations, but here's the twelve:

1. "There's no such thing as absolute truth. What's true for you may not be true for me."

2. "Christianity is no better than any other faith. All religions lead to God."

3. "The Old and New Testaments contradict one another in numerous places. If an omnipotent God inspired the Bible, He would never have allowed these errors."

4. "I don't need to go to Church. As long as I'm a good person, that's all that really matters."

5. "You don't need to confess your sins to a priest. You can go straight to God."

6. "If the Church truly followed Jesus, they'd sell their lavish art, property, and architecture, and give the money to the poor."

7. "Dissent is actually a positive thing, since we should all keep our minds open to new ideas."

8. "Properly interpreted, the Bible does not condemn homosexuality. Rather, it weighs against promiscuity -- whether homosexual or heterosexual. Therefore, we have no reason to oppose loving homosexual relationships."

9. "Catholics should follow their conscience in all things . . . whether it's abortion, birth control, or women's ordination."

10. "Natural Family Planning is just the Catholic version of birth control."

11. "Someone can be pro-choice and Catholic at the same time."

12. "People's memories of their past lives prove that reincarnation is true . . . and that the Christian view of Heaven and Hell is not."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: Twelve Myths every Catholic should be able to answer
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 07:32:52 AM »
Number 9 is by far my favorite, and I have used it many times. It goes hand in hand with number 1, which, really, is the basis of Pride, the original sin. It took me a long time of bashing my head against my faith to realize that hey, maybe thousands of years of some of the greatest philosophers of all time might--just might--have a point.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:13:51 AM »
Amateur myths for small time discussion -- except for #6, which is delicious and if it weren't days before Christmas I would start the  :fuelfire:.

The bloody history of the Catholic Church over land and property, the Vatican's absolute refusal to return stolen art (by the Nazi's no less) to the Jews who rightfully own it,  the reason priests are celebate.........   ah, the possibilites that will require more from a Catholic than regurgitating sermons.   

I am Catholic by the way, but there is a lot of material here that could be debated in a meaty way.....

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:19:33 AM »
I'm not catholic and would never be catholic (not trying to offend, just sayin') but even I can refute those.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:28:41 PM »
Number 9 is by far my favorite, and I have used it many times. It goes hand in hand with number 1, which, really, is the basis of Pride, the original sin. It took me a long time of bashing my head against my faith to realize that hey, maybe thousands of years of some of the greatest philosophers of all time might--just might--have a point.

Yeah, but they were by and large Jesuits, ya know?

;)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
Yeah, but they were by and large Jesuits, ya know?

;)

:cheersmate:

Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies