Author Topic: Primitives enlighten us on the M-16 weapon family...  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Primitives enlighten us on the M-16 weapon family...
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 08:16:33 PM »
The 30-30 is the round mentioned by Kennedy as the round that is a vest buster and should be banned.

I hear teflon-coated work pretty well also.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 08:21:09 PM »
I hear teflon-coated work pretty well also.

That would be the KTW rounds that were labeled as cop killer bullets. They got banned after two cops were killed with them. One got shot in the side where there were no panel and the other one got shot in the head.

Any rifle round will penetrate a level ll vest. Most rifle rounds will penetrate a level lll vest.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 08:28:35 PM »
Didja ever see that video of the guy holding the steel plate while some other dude shot it with a FAL from about 10 yards?

No. Did it punch a hole in it?
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »
Surprisingly not.  I forget how thick it was, but it knocked the guy back a bit when it hit the plate.  He was all dressed in Class III to hold the plate, but I still think he either very brave or very stupid.

I'll go with "B" for $400, Alex.

:mental:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 09:13:27 PM »
Stateside, we refered to the M-16 as the "Mattie Matel"  rifle. Most of us prefered the old M-14 and the 7.62 round. Der. Stoner did develope a formidable weapons system  that eventually gave us the M-15 out of the AR-15. But it was supposed to be a rifle, carbine and a SAW  FROM DAY ONE. But the "gumment" , as always, knew better.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 09:16:24 PM »
Surprisingly not.  I forget how thick it was, but it knocked the guy back a bit when it hit the plate.  He was all dressed in Class III to hold the plate, but I still think he either very brave or very stupid.

I'd vote very stupid. What was his DUmmy name. :evillaugh:

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 09:17:12 PM »
Stateside, we refered to the M-16 as the "Mattie Matel"  rifle. Most of us prefered the old M-14 and the 7.62 round. Der. Stoner did develope a formidable weapons system  that eventually gave us the M-15 out of the AR-15. But it was supposed to be a rifle, carbine and a SAW  FROM DAY ONE. But the "gumment" , as always, knew better.

Peter, you need an avatar, mang.

BTW, I don't know how many of you know this, but Peter, if I'm not mistaken, was in the infantry during the Vietnam War. He's just not one to brag about it like the ones who NEVER went, like TominTib.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 09:20:54 PM »
As for me, in a fight, I'd rather be throwing .308s at them from 600 yards while they try to get in range to shoot back at me.

Well, as for me, I'd rather be throwing grenades at the f'ers.  :evillaugh:

Hell, manually or with an M-79 or 203. Doesn't matter. MK-19 would be nice.  :-)

Offline Tucker

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »
I have a Bushie M4, and I like the rifle, I shoot crappy Wolf ammo out of it most of the time, and it never gives me any problems, but, it's a semi, not a select fire.

As for me, in a fight, I'd rather be throwing .308s at them from 600 yards while they try to get in range to shoot back at me.

Did I ever mention that I do have an FAL? With my DPMS LR-308. :-)

Offline Tucker

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:34 PM »
I love the rifles Tucker, but damn, .308 is like buying gold right now.

Remember, I'm getting a divorce and money is something that you need only if you don't die today.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 09:29:03 PM »
I was Mech. Inf. but was fortunate to stay stateside. I served with the 1/61 inf, 1/10 inf  and 2/10 inf.. Sheer luck of the screwed up Puzzle Palace left me without order for RVN, untill it was too late. .

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »
I wonder what a 30.06 armor piercing round would have done to that steel plate and the level III behind it? It has a tungsten steel core not a lead one like ball ammo.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 09:35:22 PM »
What color is the tip on those? I have a couple dozen link belt and loose rounds  with black tipsfrom the early 1950's. If you'd like them.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »
What color is the tip on those? I have a couple dozen link belt and loose rounds  with black tipsfrom the early 1950's. If you'd like them.

Black. I bought some AP rounds for my 03A3 while in Tennessee last week. :hyper:

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »
Thought so. But I don't own anything that is chambered .30-'06.

Offline Gwitness

• Leave that thing alone.
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
greyhound1966 (1000+ posts)        Wed Oct-22-08 12:27 PM
Response to Original message
14. Over-complicated design and too much shell for a .22.
 IIRC, the idea of using a 30-30 case and necking it down for a .22 cal bullet came from the military itself. The original rifle and the round it was designed for was supposed to be very accurate and reliable.

In typical DoD fashion, instead of going with simple and reliable, we get the opposite because profits are much bigger and who cares if a few losers die because of it? If they had anything going for them they wouldn't be in the services.

Oh, how I hate these ****ers!

The .223 round is a derivative of the .222 Remington...not the .308 or the .30-30

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 01:15:51 AM »
The .223 round is a derivative of the .222 Remington...not the .308 or the .30-30
Of course. It's really surprising that even a DUmmy would be making statements like they did. Anyone who had ever seen a .30-30 round, and a .223 or .222, would see the only similarity is the fact the cases are made of brass. It's surprising such a moron has ever heard the term "necked down".

I use both .300 Savage and .222 Rem. a lot.
One similarity is that in the '50s both were available and extremely popular in the Remington 722, and I believe for a short time both were chambered in Win. Model 70.

Both rounds are rimless, and that's about it.

The Savage is great for whitetails, and the .222 is a groundhog machine.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 05:10:16 AM »

Ya might want to check that one--I found out that it was actually derived from the .300 Savage, which, as GOBUCKS said, is a great round for whitetails.  Had to do some digging around, but that's what I found.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 09:36:46 AM »
Ya might want to check that one--I found out that it was actually derived from the .300 Savage, which, as GOBUCKS said, is a great round for whitetails.  Had to do some digging around, but that's what I found.

Dunno about that, and kinda doubt it.  I've read that they were indeed an "Improved" .222 Rem, which is why the commercial round was called ".223 Rem" (The true bullet diameter of both is .224, like virtually all center-fire .22s) in order to distinguish it from the existing round.  If you look at the .222 and .223 cases, they are identical in every way except the headstamkp markings and the fact that the .223 case is a few mm longer behind the bottleneck, in order to hold enough powder to boost the bullet velocity up to the 3200-3500 fps neighborhood required to make it a man-killer instead of a chuck-killer.

The .300 Savage on the other hand has no dimensions in common with the .223 Rem, in fact it looks like a 7.62X51 NATO's little brother (Slightly smaller in every dimension except the bullet).  If anything it looks like a stretched Russkii 7.62X39.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
an M1 Garand, chambering a 30.06, will deal with DUmmie looters just fine.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2008, 10:01:50 AM »
The .300 Savage on the other hand has no dimensions in common with the .223 Rem, in fact it looks like a 7.62X51 NATO's little brother (Slightly smaller in every dimension except the bullet).  If anything it looks like a stretched Russkii 7.62X39.   

Agree. Savage overall length is significantly greater than .222 or .223, shoulder angle is sharper and relatively short, overall diameter is considerably higher. Case volume is roughly twice that of .222 or .223. I can load to within about 100-200 fps of .308 nominal velocity. Deer cannot feel the difference.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2008, 12:32:29 PM »
My favorite..

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".