Author Topic: Guess Who's Coming to the DoJ?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Guess Who's Coming to the DoJ?
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:52:52 AM »

Good lawyer. He notes that Lindh won’t be able to sell a book and profit from it, but some day his tale will be told. As his lawyer said: “it’s a story that needs to be told and his is a unique perspective.”

I mention this for one reason: Tony Ward is the President’s nominee to head the Justice Department’s Civil Division. If you want to know how far we are past 9/11, there’s your answer: John Walker Lindh’s defense attorney is going to work for Justice. I’m not saying he wouldn’t do a perfectly competent job.
http://lileks.com/screed/?p=90

Words fail me.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

Re: Guess Who's Coming to the DoJ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:13 AM »
http://lileks.com/screed/?p=90

Words fail me.

Nothing that this administration does surprises me, anymore.  It would be news if they found an honest decent prosecuting attorney to join the DOJ.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:45 AM »
From a purely unemotional and dispassionate point of view, if The Exalted One wants to appoint a fellow lawyer who defended an American traitor (despite the spin), and if it's within his purview to do so, why not?

The guy is qualified, right?

On that basis alone, the political fallout from selecting this attorney for that position should have a negative impact on His Holiness - that is, if the MSM reports it (which I doubt to any great extent).

I don't know much about the legal profession except to know that attorneys on either side of the legal battle are often friends and comrades. For those that practice trial law, they might get in there and legally rip the other attorney a new asshole, but it doesn't mean they don't stay friends.

They are able to separate their ideologies from their relationships.

From a less unemotional viewpoint, however, any attorney who volunteered to represent Lindh, our modern-day Benedict Arnold, should have his 'nads voided. Just because.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 08:06:58 AM »
From a purely unemotional and dispassionate point of view, if The Exalted One wants to appoint a fellow lawyer who defended an American traitor (despite the spin), and if it's within his purview to do so, why not?

The guy is qualified, right?

On that basis alone, the political fallout from selecting this attorney for that position should have a negative impact on His Holiness - that is, if the MSM reports it (which I doubt to any great extent).

I don't know much about the legal profession except to know that attorneys on either side of the legal battle are often friends and comrades. For those that practice trial law, they might get in there and legally rip the other attorney a new asshole, but it doesn't mean they don't stay friends.

They are able to separate their ideologies from their relationships.

From a less unemotional viewpoint, however, any attorney who volunteered to represent Lindh, our modern-day Benedict Arnold, should have his 'nads voided. Just because.
Valid points, all.

Maybe this guy--just doing his job though he was--will go the way of the just-bounced Chas Freeman.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »
Eupher, you're pretty much on the money.  Past cases handled do not necessarily have any connection to an attorney's ideology, though it is often the case that they do.

Anyone know if this position requires Senatorial advice-and-consent?  Not that I expect that would be an obstacle, unless he is another tax cheat. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »
Eupher, you're pretty much on the money.  Past cases handled do not necessarily have any connection to an attorney's ideology, though it is often the case that they do.

Anyone know if this position requires Senatorial advice-and-consent?  Not that I expect that would be an obstacle, unless he is another tax cheat. 

Hell, if he is, he's a shoe-in.

My God this admin is retarded.

My apologies to all retards.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.