Author Topic: So I'm watching a documentary anout the Cold War on Netflix.  (Read 536 times)

Offline CC27

So I'm watching a documentary anout the Cold War on Netflix.
« on: March 15, 2024, 04:15:13 PM »
DemocratSinceBirth (99,695 posts)

So I'm watching a documentary anout the Cold War on Netflix.

Why couldn't the United States dissolve like the USSR? Your nominal Democrat has more in common with your nominal Canadian while your nominal MAGA Republican has more in common with your nominal Russian.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10021878102

its the other way around idiot.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Re: So I'm watching a documentary anout the Cold War on Netflix.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 04:38:21 PM »

its the other way around idiot.

I do think it’s true that the liberals and progressives here have a lot in common with the Canadiens. It seems the Canadiens are constantly losing their freedom. They can’t protest, and Trudeau has them under his thumb.

And was the Democrats progressive divisive policies it seems like they’re trying to break the country up instead of lighting everyone.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 04:50:04 PM »
A dictatorship that willingly sent its innocent citizens to suffer and possibly die in Gulags was utterly unlike the US whose imperfects were, in every way, orders of magnitude less significant than those of the USSR.

Besides, Reagan won, though the USSR's collapse did happen during GHW Bush's Presidency.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2024, 10:38:51 PM »
I’m old enough to remember when the Dems embraced the USSR back in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. Their protest marches were filled with Marxist pamphlets, they wanted the USA to become more like the USSR, they were afraid of acting tough towards them because it could trigger a nuclear war, etc… Now suddenly they want to convince me they can’t stand the former USSR? They may fool the generations who aren’t aware of their past, but they aren’t getting away with it when so many of us remember their past.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 09:45:53 AM »
I’m old enough to remember when the Dems embraced the USSR back in the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s. Their protest marches were filled with Marxist pamphlets, they wanted the USA to become more like the USSR, they were afraid of acting tough towards them because it could trigger a nuclear war, etc… Now suddenly they want to convince me they can’t stand the former USSR? They may fool the generations who aren’t aware of their past, but they aren’t getting away with it when so many of us remember their past.

I know.
I can still vividly recall,
A) Debating with a Communist troll on a conservative blog I frequented, who would routinely sing the praises of the USSR.
B) A DU post in which a DUmmy said that AMerica should adopt the USSR's strategy for "Dealing with fundies," aka have all Christians who refuse to denounce Christ and become atheists shipped off to gulags for imprisonment, torture, and execution.

The Left might think we're too stupid and have too poor memory to remember their past praises of the USSR, but we will always remember it.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 10:24:56 AM »
Uncle Bernie likes them too! He spent some time there enjoying their hospitality
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 10:53:03 AM »
The Dems have switched sides on the USSR/Russia many times. In the 30s (before Stalin's brutality became notorious) Communism was seen as a wave of the future. Then Truman flipped the party and the USSR became the enemy. Then the 50s and 60s radicals took over the party in the 70s and 80s and Communism wasn't THAT bad. The along came Trump and Hillary & Peeps painted Trump as a Russian agent and Russia became evil again.

Dizzy yet? I think that if in some way Trump comes down hard on Putin and Russia, Trump will transmogrify from a Putin/Russian agent to a wolf-crier against a not-so-bad Russia and Putin.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 02:09:49 PM »
Only someone from the DUmp could watch a film on the Cold War and come up with that idiotic idea. yeah this country has it's problems but putting people in prison to be tortured and killed isn't the way to make it work If the Right had said that they would be screeching to the hights heavens that we are the evil ones. How about they go and ask some people who have been or or currently in a gulag and ask them how it is?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 02:58:04 PM »
Explain to me how decent and civilized people can peacefully deal with proggie-commies? We can't as they won't allow it. Good must overcome evil and using a proggie-commie BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 11:32:52 AM »
A popular phrase with leftists back then was urging "unilateral disarmament" which meant that the US would just do away with its own nuclear weapons--perhaps hoping that the Soviets would follow suit--but most likely they would just be free to keep theirs.

"Unilateral disarmament" was the equivalent of the modern day phrase "two state solution" with many leftist idiots just chanting it without understanding the consequences or what it even really means.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 02:05:39 PM »
I do think it’s true that the liberals and progressives here have a lot in common with the Canadiens. It seems the Canadiens are constantly losing their freedom. They can’t protest, and Trudeau has them under his thumb.

And was the Democrats progressive divisive policies it seems like they’re trying to break the country up instead of lighting everyone.

Yes. That DU post makes it sound as if Canada were the opposite of the USSR. The actions of the Trudeau administration make me beg to differ.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 06:03:27 PM »
If anything they are more alike then most of the other countries that were part of the iron curtain before the whole thing collapsed.

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"