Author Topic: The South Carolina primary is a nail biter  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
The South Carolina primary is a nail biter
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:29:07 PM »

the weather was miserable today.  I voted for Thompson.  the vote from the upstate is a bit slow coming in, for some reason.

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: The South Carolina primary is a nail biter
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »
John McCain Takes Early Lead Over Mike Huckabee in South Carolina

John McCain took the early lead in the South Carolina primary Saturday, but the race was tight in the first-in-the-South contest.

With 38 percent of precincts reporting, McCain had 35 percent and Huckabee, 29 percent. Fred Thompson had 15 percent, Mitt Romney had 14 percent. Ron Paul was polling at 4 percent and Rudy Giuliani at 2 percent. Duncan Hunter, fairing poorly in both Nevada and South Carolina on Saturday, was returning to San Diego and planned to drop out, FOX News learned.

A win for Huckabee or McCain would be a big boost going into the Florida primary Jan. 29 and Super Tuesday Feb. 5, when 24 states hold a variety of primaries and caucuses for both parties. There has been no breakaway frontrunner in the GOP race — Huckabee won the Jan. 3 Iowa caucuses, while McCain won the Jan. 8 New Hampshire primary. Romney won lower profile contests in Wyoming, Michigan and Nevada, but leads the delegate count.

story

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »

the weather was miserable today.  I voted for Thompson.  the vote from the upstate is a bit slow coming in, for some reason.

I voted for Fred too, but the rest of the state is not coming through for him like I was hoping. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 08:48:40 PM »
damn... i was hoping his getting late into the race wouldnt be as much of a factor.. its not the only thing hurting him, but i think people got tired of waiting.

if you miss the opportunity to inspire, you may not get it again..

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 08:51:58 PM »
damn... i was hoping his getting late into the race wouldnt be as much of a factor.. its not the only thing hurting him, but i think people got tired of waiting.

exactly.  fred is clearly the superior candidate, but admit it;  we republicans frequently nominate the guy that came in second last time.  I suspect that is what is going on now.

Offline jendf

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »
I cannot believe people are voting for McCain.  :thatsright:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 09:54:43 PM »
I cannot believe people are voting for McCain.  :thatsright:

I can believe it in South Carolina.  It will be his last Hurrah....I hope.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 07:44:16 AM »
Nope--looking like he (McRINO) won.  But on a brighter note, at least the Paulbots are being relegated to the asterisk status they so richly deserve.

So does Thompson's relatively weak 3rd mean he's out or will he stay in until Super Tuesday?

Jesus I'm gonna have a helluva time holding my nose in November and potentially pulling the lever for McCain or Romney.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Lauri

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »

exactly.  fred is clearly the superior candidate, but admit it;  we republicans frequently nominate the guy that came in second last time.  I suspect that is what is going on now.

the media seems to spinning McCain as "its his time" as if .. we owe it to someone for all their past sacrifices.

we dont owe the office of the Presidency to ANYone, that is just bizarre thinking that anyone deserves the title..

puleez!

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »
Nope--looking like he (McRINO) won.  But on a brighter note, at least the Paulbots are being relegated to the asterisk status they so richly deserve.

So does Thompson's relatively weak 3rd mean he's out or will he stay in until Super Tuesday?

Jesus I'm gonna have a helluva time holding my nose in November and potentially pulling the lever for McCain or Romney.

agreed... neither one of them would be much of a change from GW right now..

we definitely DO need change though. we need an actual conservative in the White House.

I wish Fred had come on much stronger, much earlier. it was his for the taking..

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 01:09:44 PM »

Fred is hanging in there -- he has hit double-digits in all the primaries to date, but if he makes a move it needs to be now.

I am in California and haven't seen hide nor hair of Fred -- or for that matter anyone.  2 weeks to Super Tuesday and nothing.

Does that mean California is a foregone conclusion and therefore is being skipped by the major candidates on both sides? If so, what is that conclusion?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.