Author Topic: Compare & Contrast: Prosecutorial Discretion  (Read 357 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Compare & Contrast: Prosecutorial Discretion
« on: January 13, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »
Old Union Guy (142 posts)

Eastern Kentucky sheriff says he will not enforce gun laws he considers unconstitutional

Eastern Kentucky sheriff says he will not enforce gun laws he considers unconstitutional
 http://www.kentucky.com/2013/01/12/2473855/eastern-kentucky-sheriff-says.html

An Eastern Kentucky sheriff said Saturday that he will not enforce any new gun control laws that he considers unconstitutional.

Asked whether such a stance makes him more a judge than a law-enforcement official, Jackson County Sheriff Denny Peyman said he has "a team of attorneys to step up with me if necessary to be sure the Second Amendment is upheld."

"I consider this a moral obligation," he said.

Peyman, who has been sheriff of Jackson County for two years and is a member of the National Rifle Association, is garnering national attention and support from gun rights advocates for saying Saturday, "My office will not comply with any federal actions which violate the United States Constitution or the Kentucky Constitution which I swore to uphold."

When the time comes, will he be stamped on hard, or no?

southernyankeebelle (8,956 posts)

1. All I can say is this country sure has a bunch of idiots for office holders.

:whistling:

RetroGamer1971 (78 posts)

2. On our way to anarchy.

If you do not want to enforce laws already on the books, you have NO business being any kind of steward of these laws. Quit, run for office to change what you do not like, but do not start not enforcing laws passed constitutionally by Congress and signed by the President. That way lies madness.

Oh really?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022186074

Tx4obama (25,739 posts)

Regarding Obama's new immigration policy change - there is NO Executive Order

Last edited Sun Jun 17, 2012, 11:21 PM USA/ET - Edit history (2)

I am amazed at how many in the media (TV, articles, etc) keep talking about an 'Executive Order', so far it seems like 90% of what I've heard and read has been incorrect. Reporters/TalkingHeads haven't done their homework!

Obama did NOT issue and did NOT sign an Executive Order.

The change in immigration policy was set forth in a memorandum written and signed by Napolitano.

Edited to add:

Be sure to check out the article below for more details

Exercising Prosecutorial Discretion Is Different From Issuing An Executive Order: http://mediamatters.org/research/201206160002

http://www.democraticunderground.com/125146938

The Straight Story (1000+ posts)

Wed Feb-23-11 12:34 PM
 Original message

Obama administration won't defend constitutionality of DOMA

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x489992

Anarchy, indeed.

Which is exactly what these traitors want because they have such big, big plans.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Old Union Guy (142 posts)

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/01/12/2473855/eastern-kentucky-sheriff-says.html

An Eastern Kentucky sheriff said Saturday that he will not enforce any new gun control laws that he considers unconstitutional.

Asked whether such a stance makes him more a judge than a law-enforcement official, Jackson County Sheriff Denny Peyman said he has "a team of attorneys to step up with me if necessary to be sure the Second Amendment is upheld."

"I consider this a moral obligation," he said.

Peyman, who has been sheriff of Jackson County for two years and is a member of the National Rifle Association, is garnering national attention and support from gun rights advocates for saying Saturday, "My office will not comply with any federal actions which violate the United States Constitution or the Kentucky Constitution which I swore to uphold."

When the time comes, will he be stamped on hard, or no?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022186074

Who the hell does this guy think he is? Just because the preezy can do it doesn't mean he can. IF this guy does it he's a dictator, yet 0bama gets applause.
 :mental:

southernyankeebelle (8,956 posts)
1. All I can say is this country sure has a bunch of idiots for office holders.

I agree though I'm sure we mean different people.

RetroGamer1971 (78 posts)
2. On our way to anarchy.

If you do not want to enforce laws already on the books, you have NO business being any kind of steward of these laws. Quit, run for office to change what you do not like, but do not start not enforcing laws passed constitutionally by Congress and signed by the President. That way lies madness.

Unless you have big ears then you can choose to ignore any law you want.

Lizzie Poppet (1,654 posts)
6. Most law enforcement officers (and all military personnel)...

...are sworn to uphold the Constitution. If truly extreme gun control laws are passed or executive orders enacted, I sincerely doubt this sort of thing will be at all uncommon. This is one of the hot button issues in this country...has been for years.

This is true, odds are good if the preezy and his sidekick Bite Me pass a bunch of EOs taking our guns it will be hard to find anyone to do it.

upaloopa (1,089 posts)
33. Sorry, courts decide constitutionality not

Last edited Sun Jan 13, 2013, 06:05 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

law enforcement. No you will not find what he is doing common. We are a country that lives by the rule of law not anarchy.
On edit I took the oath when I was inducted into the army and again when I was hired by the county. We were of instructed to decide constitutionality of laws.

I'm sure if the courts decided that abortion was not a right you would be all for following that, right?  :mental:

Thinkingabout (1,013 posts)
10. Maybe this is the county we could send the gun terrorist to live. It would be their FEMA camp.

FEMA could save construction funds for emergencies, the terrorists would be there defending themselves from each other. Only thing if they decided to leave the county their guns would have to stay for the next residences to continue the defense.

I am not defending myself against other gun owners, I am defending myself against DUmmies who want to come and take my stuff.

friendly_iconoclast (8,261 posts)
25. If he'd said the same things about drug laws, he'd get support here.

Hell he would be a DUmp hero du jour.

sad-cafe (60 posts)
32. an elected official vowing not to support laws he was elected to uphold?

Really, he is saying that? He then needs to resign.

Yeah only 0bama can do that.

NoGOPZone (2,449 posts)
36. I think I'll refuse to obey any law I unilaterally decide is unconstitutional

It's my moral obligation

You go right ahead DUmmy.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Compare & Contrast: Prosecutorial Discretion
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »
I thought I saw you Snugs, when I was reading that thread.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »
I thought I saw you Snugs, when I was reading that thread.  :-)

Yeah.

I got the best mole account ever.

I pose as a deformed Polish hunchback with an affection for Mexican politics and a know-it-all attitude even though I couldn't mount a horse without a hydraulic lift even though I'm professional writer who can't even spell 2 syllable words.

The whole persona is so absurd no one questions my legitimacy.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »
The Federal government has no authority to order state or local law enforcement agencies to enforce Federal law or executive orders.

Remember the hoopla over Arizona and Federal immigration law, DUmmies. Preezy O'Choom's central-planning state-hating chickens are about to come home to roost.

The Federal government does not have the manpower to disarm the American people, and after the first day it would have much less.

Suck it, DUmmies. Molon labe.

Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »
Yeah.

I got the best mole account ever.

I pose as a deformed Polish hunchback with an affection for Mexican politics and a know-it-all attitude even though I couldn't mount a horse without a hydraulic lift even though I'm professional writer who can't even spell 2 syllable words.

The whole persona is so absurd no one questions my legitimacy.

No I meant I saw you reading it since we posted this about the same time.  :-)