Author Topic: DUmbasses react to argument meant to expose emotionalism ...emotionally  (Read 547 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
An effort to show that resistance to guns is emotional, not logical:

TPaine7 (4,265 posts)

Right Wing Extremist LaPierre's Lunatic Plan for Police in Schools Debunked

Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter on Wednesday slammed the National Rifle Association's proposal to put an armed guard {police officers} in every school in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, calling it a "completely dumbass idea."

"I guess, you know, out of last week's bizarre press statement -- it wasn't a press conference -- I guess Mr. LaPierre would then say firefighters need to have armed guards go with them," Nutter said on MSNBC's "Andrea Mitchell Reports." I think it just shows that was a completely dumbass idea from the start with the announcement last week," he said.

Nutter was referring to the briefing held Friday by LaPierre, the NRA's vice president, in which he called for armed guards at every school in the wake of the Newtown tragedy. "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," LaPierre said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/26/michael-nutter-nra_n_2366214.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

NRA Press Conference: Wayne LaPierre Calls For Armed Police Officers At Every School: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/nra-press-conference_n_2346382.html

I have seen the light; I now agree with Nutter and most of the people on DU. It's a "completely dumbass idea" to have police in schools to stop a mass shooting. That just brings more guns and violence into the situation.

To be consistent, however, we must admit that calling police into a situation with an active school shooter is not much better. After all, it's the same thing, just a little later. Why would it be OK to have more guns and violence on the scene 5 to 10 minutes later? If dialing 911 causes the same negative effect with just a few minutes delay, obviously that's wrong too.

I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but charging the shooter was violent. So the admin and teachers at the school took two bad, violent actions--they called in more violence and guns to the area and they personally attacked the shooter.

It's understandable to make mistakes under extreme pressure, but with training and indoctrination everyone should do better.

If there is an active shooter in a school, teachers and administrators should try to help students escape, but under no circumstances should they resort to violence of any kind. And calling police after the shooting starts is little better than having one on site. Police simply add more guns and violence to an already bad situation. The principal should have an emergency button in her office to shut down all the phones and jam cell phones to prevent this natural mistake that teachers and students alike are prone to make.

Actually, come to think of it, why should anyone dial 911 regarding gunshots? If you're in a mall and there's an active shooter, doesn't calling the police simply add more guns and violence to the situation? Isn't that the lunatic, right wing position of the fool at the head of the NRA?!

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

We have to get beyond such right wing, cowboy thinking. No one should ever call the police to an active shooting or gun crime.

I feel so much better, now that I've seen the light.

NOBODY confronts him on the central point of his argument because to do so admits that good guys with guns end violence.

This is all he gets:

EOTE (11,189 posts)

29. Reasonable people shouldn't need to wonder why this is idiotic, and you said you agreed with him.

Now you're trying to say you don't? That sounds like something an idiot would do, you're not an idiot, are you?

It's INSANE to expose our children to a fascist climate like that, day after day, removing them of a normal childhood. Because immature children like yourself can't control yourselves. It's insane rather than addressing the root cause of a problem, we turn schools into police state zones where they might even be more exposed to violence as guns can be stolen. Your argument is well beyond idiotic, it is immature and evil. Logic enough for you, ass?

"All right-thinking people know..."

EOTE (11,189 posts)

39. OK, then you're suggesting that calling 911 is a bad thing?

That makes you utterly devoid of intellect. In other words, you have the IQ of toast. You're really so stupid as to not understand the benefit of 911? 911 and similar emergency lines save thousands, perhaps millions of people every year. And you're so incredibly dense that you think we should do away with it? Dear god, I thought the freepers were stupid, but you somehow manage to take stupidity to some whole other awesome level. Congratulations, I guess. This is why children shouldn't attempt satire.

TPaine7 (4,265 posts)

43. If the emergency line saves lives, keep the line. It's cops in the school that's the problem, not

emergency lines.

I guess it's ok to have the lines as long as the cops stay out of the schools.

farminator3000 (544 posts)

20. go debunk yourself it'll take less than a minute

you-

To be consistent, however, we must admit that calling police into a situation with an active school shooter is not much better.

i say-
everything you typed after that is MEANINGLESS. nobody has to admit to some crap you typed that doesn't make sense logically or chronologically. you deserve a pay cut at least. if you even came up with that.

you know its bad when a MAYOR uses 'dumbass' officially!

TPaine7 (4,265 posts)

23. You rock! If having a police officer there when the shooting starts is bad,

there is no reason whatsoever to think that calling one there after the shooting has started isn't wonderful.

You're right.

Police there before shooting = dumbass idea
Police there a few minutes later = not a dumbass idea

I've got it now. I just recently converted to the truth. You guys sure are harsh to new converts.

I was wrong to see any logical connection between those two ideas. Forgive me.

EOTE (11,189 posts)

38. Not the brightest bulb, are you?

In fact, it's pretty damned likely your bulb has burned out, hasn't it? Having guns in every school will absolutely ensure that more gun violence takes place in schools. For every school shooting averted, there will be hundreds of accidents that will cause numerous fatalities. There is absolutely no doubt that having more guns around means that there is more gun violence. Even people purchasing guns strictly for protection are far more likely to kill or injure themselves or loved ones with it. However, there is definitive proof that 911 saves lives. It does a damned good job of saving lives. Do you understand any of this? Sorry, I forgot who I was talking to, of course you don't understand.

EOTE (11,189 posts)

42. Responding to a situation where violence is eminent with a police force reduces incidences of

violence. Do you understand that?

Also, having more guns around 100% of the time (pay attention to that figure, Corky) makes gun violence much more likely.

Those are two statements which are entirely compatible with each other. Being an adult means being able to reconcile more than one thought at a time in one's head. If you struggle really hard, you might just be able to keep more than one thought in your head. Good luck, Corky.

TPaine7 (4,265 posts)

55. So that would imply that the mere presence of a police officer "makes more gun violence much more

likely."

No wonder Nutter and others don't want police around children all day.

The strange thing is--and I don't intend to question your brilliance or the intellectual rigor of your analysis one bit, please forgive me raising this at all-- is that mayors in that group, like Nutter and Bloomberg, have police details 100% of the time:

According to investigators, 45-year-old Nicholas Campolongo, a Philadelphia Police officer who is a member of Mayor Nutter’s security detail, was driving a city-owned SUV northbound on MLK Drive. As the officer was attempting to turn onto Montgomery Drive, a civilian vehicle traveling southbound slammed into the city vehicle, spinning it around.

I'm new at this anti-gun belief and you're so brilliant, but I don't know how I would explain that to one of those obnoxious gun nuts.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022085450

It goes on like that.

Visit the thread.

Go for the sarcasm. Stay for the beatdown.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
Re: DUmbasses react to argument meant to expose emotionalism ...emotionally
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »
Same old crap. Accuse the other guy of what you exhibit the most.
Wonder where we've seen that before.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
How is LaPierre's idea in any way a "lunatic" plan? ???

Seems to work well at private schools, such as the ones in D.C. that routinely serve the Washington insider elite.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
And Obama said that he ran for reelection to have guys with guns around his daughters.  Doesn't he know that there could be an accident.  For Sasha and Malia's safety, Republicans must thwart that gun nut Obama and disarm- better yet, disband- the secret service!
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
Why would this be a bad idea? Would create more jobs and offer more security.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 07:19:24 PM »
EOTE (11,189 posts)

38. Not the brightest bulb, are you?

In fact, it's pretty damned likely your bulb has burned out, hasn't it? Having guns in every school will absolutely ensure that more gun violence takes place in schools. For every school shooting averted, there will be hundreds of accidents that will cause numerous fatalities. There is absolutely no doubt that having more guns around means that there is more gun violence. Even people purchasing guns strictly for protection are far more likely to kill or injure themselves or loved ones with it. However, there is definitive proof that 911 saves lives. It does a damned good job of saving lives. Do you understand any of this? Sorry, I forgot who I was talking to, of course you don't understand.

Yet every one of you idiots say that having easy and free access to a doctors office will reduce health care needs.
So which is it?

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »
Quote from:
unblock

32. this is a truly facile argument.

the difference between having trained, armed personnel on site 100% of the time vs. having trained, armed personnel arrive at the scene a few minutes later is NOT merely the time difference.

by far the bigger difference is the TIME and probability that weapons are on site. 100% of the time with 100% certainty vs. only for a few minutes in the 0.0001% chance they'll actually be needed.

This passes as liberal logic?!?  Oh my.

Since liberal logic would dictate that not having trained, armed personnel would reduce gun violence, then even calling them the 0.0001% times they're needed would still be too great a risk to take.  The EOTE primitive should embrace this, if only he had the ability to think like a liberal should.  But alas, the answer is no.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
What are the DUmpmonkeys opinions about "sky marshalls"?
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 04:20:15 AM »
Also, having more guns around 100% of the time (pay attention to that figure, Corky) makes gun violence much more likely.

This explains the frequent shooting incidents in police stations every single day...
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
Stop the press conspiracy that hides the hundreds of accidental police shootings of innocent citizens every year!

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.