Author Topic: Little tyrants refuse to own it.  (Read 1983 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Little tyrants refuse to own it.
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:28:34 PM »
marmar (58,487 posts)

Oakland Pays $17 Million for NFL Raiders as Cops Fired

(Bloomberg) Oakland, California, the fifth-most crime ridden city in America, faced a $32 million budget deficit last year. It closed the gap by dismissing a fourth of its police force, more than 200 officers.

Untouched was the $17.3 million that the city pays to stage 10 games a season for the National Football League’s Oakland Raiders and to host Major League Baseball’s Athletics in the O.co Coliseum. The funds cover debt financing and operations and are supplemented by $13.3 million from surrounding Alameda County, based on data compiled by Bloomberg from public records.

“If someone calls 911, you’re looking at an indeterminate amount of time before an officer can respond,” says Barry Donelan, 40, a sergeant who is president of the Oakland police union. “Citizens are suffering.” Reversing a renewed rise in violent crime is out of the question, he says.

Now the city is under pressure to replace the 46-year-old structure to keep the Raiders. The team’s owners may move to nearby Santa Clara and share an under-construction, $1.2 billion venue with the San Francisco 49ers, or to Los Angeles, where the City Council has backed a $1.5 billion stadium hoping to lure the NFL. Losing the Raiders would leave Oakland with about $145 million in debt, which originated 17 years ago in part to bring the team back from Los Angeles. .....................(more)

The complete piece is at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-20/oakland-pays-17-million-for-nfl-raiders-as-cops-get-cut.html

hfojvt (30,086 posts)

3. I sure would like to see an accounting of all these tax expenditures

these cities (or the powers that run them) seem to think that stadiums will pay for themselves in the revenue created by home games. It might be interesting to see an actual accounting.

But -- but government doesn't have "expenditures."

It has "investments."

Mr. Mojo Risen (63 posts)

4. I live in Oakland

And there is an incredible amount of dysfunction in our local government. Between the mayor, city hall, the police... there seems to be no sense of trust or any willingness to work together. The police just scramble from one emergency to another. And there is no end in sight. It takes a long time to add 200 cops and there is nothing even in the works.

Remember that the next time you ****ers demand gutting the military by 90%.

I can only hope things get turned around sometime soon. Oakland is a beautiful city with a lot of good things going for it. The whole Lake Merritt area has been undergoing a huge reconstruction project and the results so far have been fabulous.

uponit7771 (15,365 posts)

6. peoples priorities are ****ed up

Remind me again which party has had a multi-generational lock on the government in Oakland, CA.

And also remind me what the OWSies thought of the Oakland PD.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022069274
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline I_B_Perky

Re: Little tyrants refuse to own it.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
It's Bush's fault.

/dummie mode off
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 08:03:39 PM »

4. I live in Oakland

And there is an incredible amount of dysfunction in our local government. Between the mayor, city hall, the police.

Here's a clue.  Free of charge.

Adversarial Union Extortion.

It's Bush's fault.

/dummie mode off

...and that.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
The great part is former mayor Jerry Brown is now governor and going to make all of California Oakland.

It's going to be a glorious future  in California comrades. GLORIOUS!!!!!!!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline rDigital

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »
It really sucks when you run out of other people's money.  Go pound sand down a rathole, DUmmies.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 09:51:55 PM »
It really sucks when you run out of other people's money.  Go pound sand down a rathole, DUmmies.

It's what I, and others, have been saying for a while now. Sooner or later the decision will be made to cut off the welfare pukes. Whether by congress or by not being able to borrow anymore. It will happen. The dummies are just too stupid to see the demise of free shit.

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 10:37:46 PM »

4. I live in Oakland

And there is an incredible amount of dysfunction in our local government. Between the mayor, city hall, the police... there seems to be no sense of trust or any willingness to work together. The police just scramble from one emergency to another. And there is no end in sight. It takes a long time to add 200 cops and there is nothing even in the works.

No! In a collectivist paradise? No! Not possible!

This future unperson cannot be for real?!

What about Nadin's Occupy friends? They could form a neighbourhood watch, like all collectivist societies have!
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 10:56:15 PM »
You may recall Oakland was where the school board declared ebonics an official language.

It's the only language spoken by much of the faculty.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 08:46:42 AM »
It's what I, and others, have been saying for a while now. Sooner or later the decision will be made to cut off the welfare pukes. Whether by congress or by not being able to borrow anymore. It will happen. The dummies are just too stupid to see the demise of free shit.

Just tax the evil rich at 90% and we can everything we want forever!

So, seriously! My liberal arts college professor told me so!

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »
Just tax the evil rich at 90% and we can everything we want forever!

So, seriously! My liberal arts college professor told me so!

It will be really entertaining when the curtailment starts. We got a while to go yet. I expect SS to eventually be means tested with an ever dropping threshold until only the real losers get it. That is gonna go over real well.

Then I expect raising taxes on junk food, booze, bling, etc. That will go over real well too.

Then I expect some kind of VAT tax. Oh the libbie pundits will be crying and screaming about how it hits the poor, poor, pitiful poor the hardest... and it will get passed. Probably by a bipartisan majority.

Then when that don't provide the money needed, the real pain will start. Welfare cuts. Watch the pundits scream and moan. Then expect to see the pavement apes rioting in the streets and getting mowed down by the national guard.

I'm figuring about another 15-20 years. 25-30 years max. It will happen. It has to. Simple math will tell you that.

Bookmark this dummies. Some of you won't be around then, but a lot of you will. It will happen and it will suck to be you.

Montani Semper Liberi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »
Then expect to see the pavement apes rioting in the streets and getting mowed down by the national guard.

I'm figuring about another 15-20 years. 25-30 years max.

I've got 8 years until I get my retirement letter.

If we could hurry this up.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 11:50:53 AM »
You may recall Oakland was where the school board declared ebonics an official language.

Frankly, and I say this with no small amount of schadenfreude being a Broncos fan--OAKLAND?  Revenues for the city???  BWAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!

First, you ****ers cannot, have not, EVER sold out a sporting event--not for the Rai-DUHS, not for the A's.  Not even when they were good.  Think about it--when Oakland went to the Super Bowl (and lost to TB) the home opener the following season wasn't even a sellout.  Second, how much money do you think welfare bums and felons have to spend on tickets, gear, concessions, etc?  Seriously?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »

Frankly, and I say this with no small amount of schadenfreude being a Broncos fan--OAKLAND?  Revenues for the city???  BWAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!

First, you ****ers cannot, have not, EVER sold out a sporting event--not for the Rai-DUHS, not for the A's.  Not even when they were good.  Think about it--when Oakland went to the Super Bowl (and lost to TB) the home opener the following season wasn't even a sellout.  Second, how much money do you think welfare bums and felons have to spend on tickets, gear, concessions, etc?  Seriously?

The fans that can afford the tickets don't go for their own safety.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »

Has Denver ever not sld out?
Not to my knowledge.
I miss Elway.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »

That be whack.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »

Now that Al has assumed room temperature, it would behoove Ginger Jr. to pack up and move that franchise.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 06:25:02 PM »
The fans that can afford the tickets don't go for their own safety.

Actually, when they were in LA, they did sell out quite often--at a stadium more than twice as large, in an area probably even shittier than Oakland.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »
I've got 8 years until I get my retirement letter.

If we could hurry this up.

LOL!!! Give obumbles another 2 years.   :cheersmate:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »
That be whack.
That be excellent! You made good use of the universal verb, "be".

You can hear Oakland school grammar on the show "First 48".

Nearly all the suspects speak it.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
That be excellent! You made good use of the universal verb, "be".

You can hear Oakland school grammar on the show "First 48".

Nearly all the suspects speak it.

"What'd I did?!?!?? What'd I did?!?!?!?"   :-)

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 11:16:20 PM »
These idiots is so stupid they don't realize they gots created their own problems. Screw them all. - aww yea foo.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman