Author Topic: DUmbasses continue to despise labor working and corporations paying taxes  (Read 324 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
xchrom (84,389 posts)

Capitalism’s Grossest Win: The Final Triumph of Black Friday

http://www.alternet.org/economy/capitalisms-grossest-win-final-triumph-black-friday

For wily veterans of a decade of Black Friday doorbuster sales, 2012 was the year that the last semblance of a boundary between the actual day of Thanksgiving and the formal commencement of the holiday shopping season finally collapsed. It wasn’t just the decision by some of the biggest retailers to move their opening hours earlier than ever before. For many customers, the exact time when the doors were unlocked was irrelevant, because Thanksgiving had already become completely subsumed in shopping mania. What difference does it make if the doors open at 8 p.m. or midnight, if you were already in line days earlier?

Consider the example of the Kelley family in Fort Myers, Fla., so determined to sacrifice nothing of their quality of life while in quest for the perfect deal that they showed up in front of the local Best Buy’s doors on Monday, equipped with a dinner table.

This is what we call not messing around:

“ we’ve pretty much gone from not sleeping in a tent to a tent and slowly progressed to where we’ve got everything that we remember we need,” said Sean Kelley, who is ready to have his Thanksgiving feast in line, “On Thanksgiving, mom comes out with the china and the plates, and we’ve got everything you have on a normal Thanksgiving table.”

Evasporque (1,851 posts)

1. Thanksgiving - Thankful for Low Prices....nt

Thankful we're not waiting outside government-run stores with our ration books to buy bread and toilet paper.

WinkyDink (35,236 posts)

3. Sorry; the city should not allow this. Sitting out is one thing; setting up house, another.

But camping for months while refusing to participate in the political system in order to bring it down is totally cool.

Cooley Hurd (19,584 posts)

4. Every time someone is shot, stabbed or trampled on Black Friday...

...China smiles. It's crappy products from China that make it to the top of the deals heap.

Every a hippy is punched a conservative babe gets her thongs.

NoMoreWarNow (426 posts)

5. wow-- there's idiots and then there are people who are proud of being idiots

I will never understand these people, unless (hopefully) it is some sort of performance art.

union_maid (2,641 posts)

7. In a way, it seems to be

I mean, the holiday dinner thing has the feel of performance art, even though I'm sure there is also a sincere desire not to miss that $25 55" razor thin TV or whatever it is they're waiting for.

I would not go out to a retailer on Black Friday unless it was at gunpoint. On the other hand, some seem to consider it a sporting event. They have to know that plenty of opportunities for holiday deals continue right up through - and even a little past - Xmas. Maybe this is something like an American version of the Running of the Bulls or a futbol match riot. The appeal escapes most of us.

I also used to rather like working in retail, but left that about 20 years ago. Even then, the salary and benefits were just as bad as they are now - and this was not at any place like Wal-Mart. But it was the holiday season that I really couldn't take.

cactusfractal (138 posts)

13. They hate us for our freedoms :-/. n/t

I hate you for your breathing.

valerief (33,833 posts)

14. But OWS gets beaten and arrested. nt

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021879073
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Undies

Re: DUmbasses continue to despise labor working and corporations paying taxes
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:32:39 AM »
alerief (33,833 posts)

14. But OWS gets beaten and arrested. nt

True.  Some for raping defenseless people and others for exposing their waste-oozing anuses to cop cars.

I didn't hear about any such thing on "Friday of Color". 

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:37:20 AM »
Frankly, the number of people who hang out in front of stores for even one night is a small percentage of overall shoppers.

Most of us have those things called JOBS and LIVES, and other stuff like that which would preclude us from camping out for 3 days to save $40 on a POS television one doesn't need.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »
A conservative doesn't like to go to Black Friday events and doesn't go.

A leftist doesn't like to go to Black Friday events and demands that other people don't go.

I got a dollar that says if it were half off abortions on Black Friday the DUches would be cool with camping out in front of Planned Parenthood for days.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.