Author Topic: Skin's gives primitives new island rules  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Karin

Re: Skin's gives primitives new island rules
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »
Here's a phrase I noticed:

target people they didn't like and try to get them in trouble with the moderators.

Oooooo  I'm gonna get you in trouble with teacher!!!  Could this asylum be any more third-grade-like? 

And that whole civility area...not gonna happen.  Every thread devolves into a fight, no matter what subject matter.  They can't help themselves.  They're miserable, bitter, self-centered creatures.  There's no "civility." 

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 02:09:24 PM »
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline thundley4

Re: Skin's gives primitives new island rules ( follow up from Earl G)
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »
EarlG ADMIN  (1000+ posts)             Tue Nov-16-10 01:12 PM
Original message
Visualize a Democratic Underground where rule-breaking posts are no longer deleted by the moderators   

Sounds crazy, right?

Well, if we weren't going to do anything about rule-breaking posts then I'd agree that it would be completely bonkers. Fortunately, that's not what we're proposing.

Earlier this week Skinner talked about our new approach to the DU message board rules (you can read his post here). In a nutshell, our new approach is this:

1) Big-tent content. DU should be open to a broad range of viewpoints from center to far left, which includes both the robust defense of Democrats as well as the robust criticism of Democrats from a liberal perspective.

2) Increased civility. Posts that question the motives, character, or good faith of other DUers serve to poison the atmosphere and make respectful discussion impossible.

So how are we going to make that happen if we don't delete posts that break our rules? Well, we believe we have come up with a better system that still allows for rule violations to be removed from the message board, while giving members a second chance to make those posts fit within the rules -- and learn more about our community standards at the same time. In other words, we're moving away from a system that punishes members for breaking the rules, towards a system where members are encouraged to make a good-faith effort to fix their mistakes.

Just to be clear, this has not been programmed yet, and we are still open to making changes if we believe they will improve the system. But this is currently at the top of our list of priorities, and we hope to have it up and running very soon.

Here's what we propose...

The Edit Request System

When the moderators become aware of a post which breaks the rules they will send a request to the member who posted it asking that they edit the post to comply with our community standards.

When this happens, the post will be temporarily hidden from the board, and replaced with a message indicating that the post is currently in the process of being edited by the member.

The member will receive the edit request automatically via private message, and they will not be able to post anywhere on DU until they have dealt with the request (if they attempt to post they'll get an interrupt page telling them that they have an edit request). The member will also be provided with the rule (or rules) that their post breaks.

The member can then deal with the edit request in one of two ways:

1. They can self-delete the post.

If the member decides that they do not wish to edit the post so that it is compliance with the rules, they will be provided with an option to simply delete it. If they do this, their post will be permanently removed from the board, and replaced with a message indicating that the member chose to self-delete it. There will be no immediate penalty for choosing to self-delete. (However, note that the purpose of this new system is to work with people who want to participate in a good-faith way -- if a member is constantly receiving edit requests and self-deleting their posts, then we may take a closer look at that member.)

2. They can make a good-faith attempt to edit their post.

The member will have the option to edit their post so that it complies with the message board rules. As soon as the member finishes editing, the post will immediately be returned to the message board.

You may be wondering what happens if a member does not make a good-faith effort to edit their post, but instead chooses to willfully ignore the moderators' request by either leaving the rule violation in their edited post, or worse, adding new rule violations. We have a plan to discourage people who might want to do that.

When a member finishes editing their post and returns it to the message board, it will be auto-alerted so that the moderators can take a look to make sure the second attempt is within the rules. If it no longer breaks the rules -- great! Everyone can move on. But if it still breaks the rules, the post will be sent back once again to the member, and this time around they will only have the option to self-delete. Once they click the self-delete button the post will be removed, and the member will be locked out of posting for a very brief "penalty period" -- we'll probably try 15 minutes to start with.

So that is what we propose. What do you think?

-----------------------------

While I've got your attention...

...I might as well make a crass plea for donations. This week is our Fourth Quarter Fund Drive, and if you can help us reach our goal of 1,000 donations then please click here and donate today. Thank you!
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9569527

Offline Karin

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »
I read that and now want to twist my head off.  What a complete clusterf*** that will make the DUmp, and the mods will have 10 times the work, or more.  The IRS could have created this "policy and procedure."  No wonder these types love government and everything about it.  Well, guess what, DUmmies.  It's out of style. 

I thought internet forumming was supposed to be fun. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »
I read that and now want to twist my head off.  What a complete clusterf*** that will make the DUmp, and the mods will have 10 times the work, or more.  The IRS could have created this "policy and procedure."  No wonder these types love government and everything about it.  Well, guess what, DUmmies.  It's out of style. 

I thought internet forumming was supposed to be fun. 

Karin, I read that too.  Or I tried to.  What a friggin mess.  I couldn't hang there.  I don't do well with lots of rules.  Never have.  I mean, shouldn't civility be assumed at our age?  Sheesh. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »
I read that . . . What a complete clusterf*** that will make the DUmp . . .

Tell me how that's a bad thing, neighbor . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »
What a complete clusterf*** that will make the DUmp, and the mods will have 10 times the work, or more.  The IRS could have created this "policy and procedure."  No wonder these types love government and everything about it.  Well, guess what, DUmmies.  It's out of style. 

Exactly - Skins & Co. is adding Democrat Big Government M&P to a message board. I figure in five years all posts will be previewed before they are added, and the site has more moderators than regular members.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
Exactly - Skins & Co. is adding Democrat Big Government M&P to a message board. I figure in five years all posts will be previewed before they are added, and the site has more moderators than regular members.
:lmao: :-)