Author Topic: Surge of immigrants from India baffles border officials in Texas  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

Surge of immigrants from India baffles border officials in Texas
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:30:57 PM »
The immigrants, mostly young men from poor villages, say they are fleeing religious and political persecution. More than 1,600 Indians have been caught since the influx began here early last year, while an undetermined number, perhaps thousands, are believed to have sneaked through undetected, according to U.S. border authorities.

Most of the immigrants say they are from the Punjab or Gujarat states. They are largely Sikhs who say they face religious persecution, or members of the Bharatiya Janata Party who say they are targeted for beatings by members of the National Congress Party.

But analysts and human rights monitors say political conditions in India don’t explain the migration. There is no evidence of the kind of persecution that would prompt a mass exodus, they say, and Sikhs haven’t been targets since the 1980s. Both Punjab and Gujarat states are among the wealthiest in India and are booming today; so economic migration doesn't make sense.

Many detained immigrants clear the first hurdle toward a full asylum hearing by convincing asylum officers they have a “credible fear” of persecution if they return to India. They can then post a bond and move anywhere in the United States as long as they agree to appear for their next court date.

Not all show up, however. “That’s why I won’t take their cases anymore,” said Cathy Potter, a local immigration attorney. “It undermines my credibility. I don’t want anything to do with this.”
http://borderissues.us/2011/02/06/surge-of-immigrants-from-india-baffles-border-officials-in-texas/

Pakistani? 

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston