Author Topic: Illinois Gas Station Owners Sue Over Having to Post Democrat Propaganda  (Read 410 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I lived in Illinois from 1997-1999. One of the most expensive places I've ever lived, though the governors of that state seem to find themselves in prison a lot. And everybody knows about the corruption associated with the city of Chicago and of Cook County. The Daly Crime Family operated for decades, much like Al Capone did back in the 1930s.

What do you think about this "requirement?" Should gas station owners have their day in court? Keep in mind that most of Illinois is red, but is controlled by the corruptocrats further upstate.

When I travel through Illinois any more (happens infrequently, but it does happen), the only thing I leave in the state is the contents of my bladder or my bowels. I don't buy anything at all, certainly not gasoline.

Gas prices are high everywhere. They’ve risen so much that several states have suspended their gas tax, while others are considering doing so. And then there’s Illinois.

The Democrat-dominated legislature in Illinois is so magnanimous that they’re not suspending their gas tax, but they’re delaying increasing it until the end of the year. I know —  how thoughtful of them.

“As part of this year’s budget, Democrats delayed for six months the 2.2-cent-a-gallon gasoline tax increase that was set to take effect in July,” explains the Wall Street Journal editorial board. In 2019 Democrats doubled the gas tax to 38 cents a gallon and indexed it to inflation.”

Not only that but the Democrats also required gas stations to post signs that are “clearly visible” — four by eight inches or larger, with a bold font — reading “As of July 1, 2022, the State of Illinois has suspended the inflation adjustment to the motor fuel tax through December 31, 2022.”

No big deal, right? Well, if a station refuses, the owner faces a fine of $500 a day. And the signs are clearly meant to be propaganda that screams, “LOOK AT WHAT DEMOCRATS ARE DOING FOR YOU PEONS!”

“During a legislative hearing, Democratic state Rep. Michael Zalewski stated the signs would remind ‘pumping Illinoisans that…as a result of the work of the General Assembly the [cost of living] adjustment has not gone into effect’ and that as drivers pump gas, ‘their gaze will fix upon the pump and maybe they’ll read about the good things we did,’” reports the Wall Street Journal.

The sign requirement has rankled owners of gas stations enough that some of them have filed a lawsuit asserting that the regulation violates their rights to free speech. The suit says that Illinois is forcing the station owners “to choose between making a political statement they do not wish to make to their customers or the general public on behalf of the State of Illinois” or paying fines.

“The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that government can’t compel corporations to carry political messages with which they disagree,” the Wall Street Journal editorial board commented. “Courts have also ruled that governments can mandate that businesses disclose ostensibly factual information only for limited purposes, such as preventing fraud and protecting public safety. The Illinois law does neither and has no public-interest rationale.”

It’s bad enough that the state is requiring station owners to post the signs. It becomes even worse when Illinois Democrats so brazenly trumpet that the reason for the signs is to prop the party up as the tax-cutters they’re not.

PJ Media
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
What would prevent the owners from posting other signs saying the increase that’s being suspended was a Democrat increase?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
What would prevent the owners from posting other signs saying the increase that’s being suspended was a Democrat increase?

KC

Great question. Just guessing, but I'd say that any kind of sign that has anything to do with taxes that are assessed might need to be "official" signage. Kinda like the certification on the pump that it's pumping accurately.

But putting a sign up at the cash register, or even next to the pump, might be "allowable."
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Well... the first rule of business is Make the sale.

Gotta allow residual Dem propaganda in.  There are ways to downplay the display of it.