Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148462 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #650 on: June 01, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
Almost got the dash put back together.  Two problems... one is a broken instrument cluster light socket, and the other is the 19mm spark plug anti-fouler I stuck in cylinder #1.  The exhaust manifold on this car is a PITA to fit sockets in.  It's underneath the generator and tough to reach.

The new light switch works.  I haven't been able to test the dash lights because they're not grounded with the cluster out of the car and I don't want to have to take it apart again.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #651 on: July 20, 2014, 08:16:37 PM »
Got all the supplies I need to flush the engine and radiator, but I have to get that stuck non-fouler out of cylinder #4 (the one in the most difficult spot under the generator and next to the wheel well).  You can't fit a socket over it because half the spark plug is flush against the exhaust manifold.

I bought another 18mm non-fouler, coated the threads with JB Weld, and screwed it in the one that's already in there.  If it works, I'll let you know.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #652 on: November 02, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
I picked up a 15-inch wheel from a 1994 Grand Marquis.  It isn't the style I want, but it's a match for the wheels I want on the car.  It looks enormous next to the 13-inch wheels and tires on the car now.  I'll have to measure it to see if it will even fit.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #653 on: November 04, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »
I picked up a 15-inch wheel from a 1994 Grand Marquis.  It isn't the style I want, but it's a match for the wheels I want on the car.  It looks enormous next to the 13-inch wheels and tires on the car now.  I'll have to measure it to see if it will even fit.

You have this Ford and a MGB?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Chris_

« Reply #654 on: November 04, 2014, 11:52:31 AM »
Yep.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #655 on: November 29, 2014, 06:41:22 PM »
Awesome.  The JB Weld got that stuck spark plug insert out.

I pulled all the plugs and squirted some oil down the cylinders.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #656 on: November 30, 2014, 07:24:20 PM »
No luck getting the seats unbolted.  I can work on that tomorrow if the weather's not bad.  I really need to get this thing to an upholsterer.

I was going to flush the engine/radiator today.  I drained the coolant, but whoever sells the hose kit apparently expects you to just let the wastewater spray all over your car, yourself, and the driveway.  I would have gone to the hardware store to pick up a drain hose but my brother's dumbass girlfriend decided to block the driveway the entire time she was here.

I found some gray goop inside the thermostat housing.  I hope it isn't oil.  The oil on the dipstick looks fine and the coolant from the radiator looked fresh.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #657 on: December 09, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4777418521.html

Red carpet, purple floor mats, gray and white interior, and stupid wheels. :thatsright:

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #658 on: December 09, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4777418521.html

Red carpet, purple floor mats, gray and white interior, and stupid wheels. :thatsright:

Well, we've all seen worse.  Everything there is easily reversible.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #659 on: December 09, 2014, 10:51:03 PM »
Well, we've all seen worse.  Everything there is easily reversible.
Yeah, but it costs money to fix someone else's mistakes. :(

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #660 on: December 10, 2014, 12:19:54 AM »
Yeah, that's true.

I could probably live with the wheels longer than the mismatched carpet.  Seats I don't mind mismatching, but the carpet.... ugh.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #661 on: December 28, 2014, 04:23:06 PM »
Spendin' money.

Just picked up a Pertronix kit.  Looking forward to getting it installed (after I flush the engine and radiator and reinstall all the gauges).

edit: that was quick.  Ground shipping from Summit Racing only took two days.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:16:29 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #662 on: January 01, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
Well, crap.  The Crown Vic/Marquis wheels fit with the exception of the larger hub bore (1/4 of an inch).

It looks like adapters (hub rings) are available.  I just need to find them in the right size

Offline Chris_

« Reply #663 on: January 02, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »
I managed to goof up.  The wheels I want are 16 inches.  The one I picked up from the junkyard was from a previous model.  Now all my measurements are wrong.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #664 on: January 03, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
I finally found the set of wheels I wanted.  They were affordable, especially when you consider what some places are selling "new" ones for.  I bought a full set -- I figure if I can't use them, they'll be easy to resell or I can take them back.  People are asking ridiculous prices for OEM wheels... $150 for one.

Finding FORD inserts for them should be easy.  Bonus... I didn't get rained on.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #665 on: January 04, 2015, 07:24:47 PM »
People are asking ridiculous prices for OEM wheels... $150 for one.
:wtf2:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #666 on: January 04, 2015, 09:04:08 PM »
:wtf2:
The Intronet

eBay isn't much better.

If you're pulling wheels at one of those self-serve junkyards that raise the cars off the ground, bring your own lug nuts, a four-way tire iron, and two ratchets with the correct sized deep-well socket.  For some reason, the people at Pull-A-Part always leave at least one on each wheel, probably so they can roll it around.  It's a little like origami, but I was able to leverage the single lug nut off with those three wrenches.

I used the second wrench to jam it into an opening in the wheel against the brake caliper to stop it from spinning and the tire iron for leverage since I forgot to bring a breaker bar, but it was foolproof.  I've never taken four wheels off a car that quickly.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 09:34:19 PM by Chris_ »

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #667 on: January 05, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
I just noticed there were 666 replies to this thread. I fixed that. You're welcome !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #668 on: January 10, 2015, 04:46:47 PM »
Got the front seat pulled out today.  I'm not completely sure how to remove the rear seat.  Other than being covered in the factory undercoating, the nuts under the car holding the seat frame in place look brand new. 

Who puts blue seat belts in a red car?

I will probably wait until the last minute to have the seats done.  I want them done in white but don't want them to get dirty sitting around.  The next to go is the nasty carpet.  After that, primer, paint, and Dynamat, with the new carpet going in at a later date. 

This car stinks.  I don't even want to know what that stuff is on the floor. :puke:

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:04:23 PM by Chris_ »

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #669 on: January 11, 2015, 02:44:44 PM »
This car stinks.  I don't even want to know what that stuff is on the floor. :puke:

It's probably a vagrant slept in the car, or maybe just used it as a toilet, and moved on.  :-)

[youtube]http://youtu.be/GvT_VOJaXvs[/youtube]

Offline Chris_

« Reply #670 on: January 11, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »
It only took three attempts to find a car cover that fits.  The first one was too large and kept blowing off.  The second one was too small and tore around the corners.  This one fits just right.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #671 on: January 11, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »
It only took three attempts to find a car cover that fits.  The first one was too large and kept blowing off.  The second one was too small and tore around the corners.  This one fits just right.

I haven't bought a car cover in a long time, but I always hated shopping for them.  They fit about as well as a hospital gown, and always fail at the most inopportune moment.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #672 on: January 11, 2015, 04:04:31 PM »
I'm only using it because the rubber around the windows is rotten and leaks.

You're right, they do fit as well as a hospital gown.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #673 on: January 11, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
I'm only using it because the rubber around the windows is rotten and leaks.

You're right, they do fit as well as a hospital gown.

What kind of material is it?  The last one I bought was like a cloth weave, but it seemed to work well at keeping water out.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #674 on: January 11, 2015, 04:42:42 PM »
Cotton on the inside and some sort of treated fabric on the outside that feels like plastic.

O'Reilly