Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148567 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #575 on: December 18, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »
I pulled the cluster and replaced all the bulbs.  Nothing.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #576 on: December 18, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »
how hard is it to pull the cluster on that car? what I would do is get a test light and run the traces on the back till I found power. They weren't complicated back then, easy to find pos and neg traces. There may be a broke trace. The bulbs usual (I know watch out HUGE general statement coming) are on their own circuit so they can be dimmed at the same time. could be as simple as a bad cluster connection. That book you just got have the dash wiring in it? If so look to see what pinout is the power to the cluster. Oh it could be a ground as well cause those clusters weren't common ground, most I have seen have ground leads to them cause they are plastic....something else to check.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #577 on: December 18, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »
I've already pulled the cluster.  It wasn't any more difficult than pulling the one on the Datsun.  Drop the steering wheel and unscrew the cluster from the dash.  Yes, it has the wiring and the cable routing.

I'm off next week.  I'll have time to work on it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #578 on: December 18, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
It looks like the replacement switches appear to have a rheostat on them.  Have you tried pulling the light switch on, and then turning it vigorously from left to right (sort of like how you clean toggle switches in the B)?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #579 on: December 23, 2013, 11:41:18 PM »
Good old Wal-Mart.  They seem to be the only place left that sells 13-inch tires.  They have the Kumho Solus, which is supposed to be a nice tire.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #580 on: December 26, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
I made a little bit of progress today.  The temp and gas gauge are actually 3 volts and are supposed to be wired together (6 volts).  The temperature gauge works -- I connected a pair of AA batteries to it and it went to the top and stopped there. 

I ran down my 6 volt batteries so I'm waiting for them to charge until I can test the sending unit and the accuracy of the temp gauge.

Fuel gauge is waaay off.  3/4 on the gauge is "Full"... it won't go any higher.  That certainly explains why I had to dump eight gallons of gas when I thought the old tank was empty.

edit:  I can probably bypass the voltage regulator by using a 3-volt battery.  I don't think either of them work which could be why I'm not getting a signal from either sending unit (I have two of each).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:41:44 PM by Chris_ »

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #581 on: December 28, 2013, 09:37:55 PM »
Good old Wal-Mart.  They seem to be the only place left that sells 13-inch tires.  They have the Kumho Solus, which is supposed to be a nice tire.

That is why I bought the Corrado wheels (15") for the rabbit truck. I couldn't find 13" tires anywhere. So with Corrado wheels tires are available EVERYWHERE so no problem....hehe
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #582 on: January 05, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »
I may have made a mistake.  I looked at the thermostat I installed during the summer and it has a 195° opening.  I bought a replacement 180° stat.  We will see.  All of my gauges appear to be working correctly.  The instrument lights are still not working.

A disc-brake conversion with coilover kit is about $1500-1800.  I'm fine with the drum brakes but I want better springs and shocks.  I found a set of lowered springs for a few hundred bucks.  I will be taking out the seats and sending them to a shop in the next town to be re-covered.  In the meantime, I'll install the spare carburetor I bought, put in a new 13-lb (stock) radiator cap, and probably replace the wagon wheel tires with some higher quality radial tires.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:33:44 PM by Chris_ »

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #583 on: January 05, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »

They also carry the Douglas Xtra-trac 2 in 13 inch. I think they're a 40k tire. We use those on the Metro and have decent luck with them.

They're  41.50 each, IIRC.

CMD
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #584 on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:26 PM »
They also carry the Douglas Xtra-trac 2 in 13 inch. I think they're a 40k tire. We use those on the Metro and have decent luck with them.

They're  41.50 each, IIRC.

CMD
Yes, I saw those as well.

Those wagon wheels on there now have an amusing amount of sidewall flex.  I'm surprised the tire can stand upright on its own.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #585 on: January 08, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
These AutoRestoMod guys have a '67 Fairlane in addition to a '65 Mustang they use  in their garage.  I emailed Jeff and he gave me a few suggestions on upgrading the suspension.

Chris,
Several things:
The '63 isn't going to be the canyon carver than the other three are. Think of it as an older Olympic athlete. It can surprise but it won't ever do as well as later model cars.

Better steering (in line with your Datsun, BMW and MG) Unisteer rack:http://www.unisteer.com/ford/63-65-fairlane-rack-pinion-for-popular-small-blocks.html You'll never get the kind of precision out of the stock system that a rack will provide.

Adjustable strut rods (use rubber NOT urethane). This will allow for greater camber than the stock settings. Not sure where you will find these. '63 is a tough year series for Fairlane.

Larger 1-inch front bar. 3/4 inch rear bar.

New front springs and rear; contact Eaton Detroit Spring and discuss what you are looking for try and stay away from reverse springs. Rebuild the upper and lower control arms.

Hydraulic shocks. Eaton carries a full line of QA1s, we put them on the '65 hardtop and like the drive much better.

Good sticky tires like the BFG KDs mounted on plus sized rims. Be careful. The Falcon and Fairlane are bad about offset. Watch our video on setting up wheels if you don't already have some.

Structurally the sedan is much better than a hardtop. you still might consider a pair of home made subfram connectors and shock tower braces both from the cowl to the towers and from one apron to the other like the Mustang Monte Carlo bar.

Hope this helps!

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #586 on: January 09, 2014, 10:10:53 PM »
Looks like good advice. Most will apply to all cars like the sub frame connectors and the like. Question is are you wanting to road race or are you looking for just a bit better handling. Some of what he is talking about is for road race cars....no need to spend that kind of scratch if you just want a better ride. I personally ALWAYS go way beyond what is needed cause I like the go-cart ride and like taking hairpin corners at 75mph....lol 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #587 on: January 09, 2014, 10:15:12 PM »
Looks like good advice. Most will apply to all cars like the sub frame connectors and the like. Question is are you wanting to road race or are you looking for just a bit better handling. Some of what he is talking about is for road race cars....no need to spend that kind of scratch if you just want a better ride. I personally ALWAYS go way beyond what is needed cause I like the go-cart ride and like taking hairpin corners at 75mph....lol 
Yes. :p

I don't plan on racing it.  I just want it to handle at least as good (or close enough) to the other cars I've owned.  It's pretty much a pig on the road and any improvement would be miles above what came out of the factory.  With the body roll this thing has, taking an exit ramp off the interstate is a little un-nerving.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #588 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:28 PM »
Good shocks and springs along with a bigger sway bar both front and back will do wonders for the ride. On the Opel when I used to daily it, I put slightly wider lower profile tires and they were RADIAL'S!!!!...lol damn bias shite sucks ....it made a huge difference.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #589 on: January 09, 2014, 10:22:08 PM »
I checked out Eaton Springs and they said do NOT run gas shocks on the car... it makes it too bouncy.  Well, guess what the previous owner put on?  Gabriel gas shocks.  No wonder the thing bounces and floats like a dinghy driving on the street.

They sell new hydraulic shocks that were originally designed for it.

I'm still looking for replacement wheels/tires, but I'm concerned about getting the correct offset.

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #590 on: January 10, 2014, 02:08:18 AM »
Yes. :p

I don't plan on racing it.  I just want it to handle at least as good (or close enough) to the other cars I've owned.  It's pretty much a pig on the road and any improvement would be miles above what came out of the factory.  With the body roll this thing has, taking an exit ramp off the interstate is a little un-nerving.

You might look and see what the folks at energy suspension have to offer:

http://energysuspension.com/

Its been a while since I messed with that sort of stuff, but I do know urethane bushings in the right places make a huge difference. Simply replacing the stockers on my old blazer with greaseable urethane, made a noticable difference, one you could feel when making turns.

CMD

"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Offline Chris_

« Reply #591 on: January 10, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
Most of the items suggested have the option of either rubber or poly bushings.  I may go with poly on the swaybars. 

The first thing I'll probably replace are the shocks since it's an easy one to do.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #592 on: January 10, 2014, 09:32:32 AM »
Most of the items suggested have the option of either rubber or poly bushings.  I may go with poly on the swaybars. 

The first thing I'll probably replace are the shocks since it's an easy one to do.

Go with poly on the sway bars and the links. Made a big difference on my 72' Camero. Turned it into a slot car.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #593 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:45 PM »
Hm. Nobody seems to make a rear sway bar for a 1963 Ford Fairlane.  This is going to be interesting.

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #594 on: January 11, 2014, 03:36:39 AM »
Hm. Nobody seems to make a rear sway bar for a 1963 Ford Fairlane.  This is going to be interesting.

Could they be optioned from the factory on that car?

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #595 on: January 11, 2014, 08:03:25 PM »

This not work? http://www.dearbornclassics.com/57-59-ranchero-rear-sway-bar-3-4.html

Offline Chris_

« Reply #596 on: January 11, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »
I'm not sure.  I looked at that earlier and the website says it's not a fit for my car, that it's for '59-'61 cars.  1961 1962 was a changeover from the Fairlane being a trim level on the full-sized Galaxie to a separate midsized car based on the Falcon.

I'll keep it in mind and come back to it later.  I was reading some reviews from people who had put a rear sway bar on their '68 Fairlane and said it made the handling unstable and "twitchy".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:22:32 PM by Chris_ »

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #597 on: January 11, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »
With an old ride you want a BIG front sway bar cause of the under steer problems that are inherent/engineered  in the chassis. If you have a lot of body roll a rear bar is needed but a small bar is usually used as not to induce any over steer problems.  I have ran most of my cars over the years with just a good front bar and proper springs for the vehicle...I have never installed a rear bar. Now that said the mini has a rear bar....but I didn't put it there. If I owned your vehicle I would upgrade the springs, lower the front slightly , upgraded shocks and the front bar call it a day. There are all kinds of things you can do if you want to spend the money like go with rack and pinion or go with a strut front end. It is up to you. A proper set of springs at a proper ride height (stock may not be proper for the car ....depending on what you are wanting out of the car) the ride and handling will be TOTALLY different. Up to you what you want to do for your car.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #598 on: January 11, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »
If I owned your vehicle I would upgrade the springs, lower the front slightly , upgraded shocks and the front bar call it a day.
That is the extent of my plans at this point.  I still need to get the upholstery redone as well and have a few bits and pieces rechromed.  I can hold off on paint for a year or two, I think.

Still trying to figure out how to remove the rheostat/switch from the fuse panel it's attached to. :p

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #599 on: January 11, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »
How much you lower will be GREATLY be dependent on the tire/wheel combo, it will make a HUGE difference in whether you have a proper ride or you hit the wells all the time. Now you also will have to take into account the look you want as well. Me I don't like to modern a style wheel on an old ride....makes it look cheap to me. Also the size will make a difference as well. If you cant find different speedometer gears your speedometer will be off with the wheel/tire change. All things to consider.