Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148447 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #275 on: July 27, 2013, 11:54:28 PM »
It has the stock 2-bbl Autolite.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #276 on: July 28, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
This points-and-condenser thing is a huge pain in the ass. :mad:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
This points-and-condenser thing is a huge pain in the ass. :mad:

um yep that why I convert to electronic when I can...also more reliable with electronic ignition.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2013, 07:17:27 PM »
I was able to shim the point until I got the gap set to .015-inch.  I removed the plastic spacer that came with the kit I ordered and used some washers from the hardware store.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #279 on: July 28, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »
I was able to shim the point until I got the gap set to .015-inch.  I removed the plastic spacer that came with the kit I ordered and used some washers from the hardware store.

Always check any point sets before you buy to make sure the points are actually aligned properly.  If they don't touch each other dead nuts on, or one sits higher than the other, tell them to bring you another set.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #280 on: July 28, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »
Always check any point sets before you buy to make sure the points are actually aligned properly.  If they don't touch each other dead nuts on, or one sits higher than the other, tell them to bring you another set.

:lol: yep those are nuggets of wisdom there. By the way Chris do you have a dwell meter? They come in handy for making sure your getting the most "fire" out of the coil.....not something you have to have but it helps.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #281 on: July 28, 2013, 08:19:26 PM »
:lol: yep those are nuggets of wisdom there. By the way Chris do you have a dwell meter? They come in handy for making sure your getting the most "fire" out of the coil.....not something you have to have but it helps.
Yes, I picked up a dwell meter last year. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #282 on: July 28, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »
Damn, I think the last time I gapped points on a car and adjusted timing (remember 2 deg. BTDC?) must've been in the mid-70's in my '73 Nova.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #283 on: July 28, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »
I left the timing alone.  I replaced the cap and rotor and went for a drive.  It ran like it always has.  I got home, pulled the cap, replaced the condenser and the points and now it turns over but won't start at all.

I wish I could find some decent instructions.  I don't get it. :argh:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:12:05 PM by Chris_ »

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #284 on: July 28, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
I left the timing alone.  I replaced the cap and rotor and went for a drive.  It ran fine.  I got home, pulled the cap off, removed the condenser and the points and now it turns over but won't start at all.

Maybe you should replace the condenser and the points.

After that, you probably need to re-gap the points.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »
Maybe you should replace the condenser and the points.

After that, you probably need to re-gap the points.
I just did.  It won't start.

Sorry, I edited my post again.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »
I just did.  It won't start.

Sorry, I edited my post again.

If it is single points, double check your distributor shaft isn't warped.

Or better still, get an electronics points replacement -- easy to install and obviates physical points and the gapping thereof.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2013, 10:26:01 PM »
I left the timing alone.  I replaced the cap and rotor and went for a drive.  It ran like it always has.  I got home, pulled the cap, replaced the condenser and the points and now it turns over but won't start at all.

Have you checked whether you're getting a spark for the plug wires?
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

« Reply #288 on: July 28, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
Have you checked whether you're getting a spark for the plug wires?
Not yet.  I guess I will start on that tomorrow.  I spent most of my day trying to get the points gapped correctly. 

The supplement manual I bought doesn't have instructions for the distributor.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:31:28 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #289 on: July 28, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
If it is single points, double check your distributor shaft isn't warped.

Or better still, get an electronics points replacement -- easy to install and obviates physical points and the gapping thereof.

A Petronix Ignitor is looking pretty attractive right now.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2013, 10:33:14 PM »
Not yet.  I guess I will start on that tomorrow.  I spent most of my day trying to get the points gapped correctly.  

It shouldn't be that difficult. The distributor's in the front  of the engine, right. Not as bad as GM's being in the rear of the engine and almost up against the firewall.

I do agree that electronics is the way to go.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #291 on: July 29, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »
Have you also got a remote starter set up to go with the timing light and dwell meter?  Nice to have when setting points and timing.  I am with Eupher, it has been forty years since I changed points in a vehicle (1973) and it was probably on a "B".  I converted the 'Cuda to electronic as soon as I got it.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »

If everything worked before you changed the points/condensor, then I would bet my dollar on your problem lying therein. 

First check for 12 volts running to the low-tension side of your distributor.  This will be the wire that you connected up to your points.

Then, make sure you have no bare wires touching the body of the distributor, and that your 12V+ side of your points are not grounding out via the points plate.

Take off the distributor cap, and crank the engine, or have someone crank the engine.  Do you see the points snapping with electricity? 

If you can't see the points while you are cranking from inside the car, you can always leave the key in the 'ON' position, loosen the distributor clamping bolt, and rock the distributor back and forth on a lobe, to actuate the points.  The result will be the same if they are working: a snap of electricity.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #293 on: August 01, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
I picked up a cheap remote start trigger and I'm a little lost.  Let's say I want to pull the #1 spark plug to check for a spark... do I bridge the two starter terminals and leave the ignition switch on?

The instructions this thing came with don't help.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #294 on: August 01, 2013, 11:31:40 PM »
I picked up a cheap remote start trigger and I'm a little lost.  Let's say I want to pull the #1 spark plug to check for a spark... do I bridge the two starter terminals and leave the ignition switch on?

The instructions this thing came with don't help.

If you are using a remote starter, turn your key to the "ON" position.  The remote starter is just doing the job of energizing the starter.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #295 on: August 02, 2013, 09:33:12 AM »
If you are using a remote starter, turn your key to the "ON" position.  The remote starter is just doing the job of energizing the starter.   
I got that part.  If I use the remote switch to crank the starter, the rest of the ignition system should fire, right?

The instructions for this thing look like an Ikea manual.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #296 on: August 02, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
If I use the remote switch to crank the starter, the rest of the ignition system should fire, right?

If the key is in the 'ON' position, then yes.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #297 on: August 02, 2013, 04:39:49 PM »
Okay, that's what I figured.  I have a feeling I'm going to be buying a new ignition coil anyway, but we will see.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #298 on: August 03, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
Too busy to mess with the car today, but I did take the cap off and verify the points gap was being opened by the distributor cam.  So there's that.

I need to jack the car up to get to the starter.  I'll work on that tomorrow.  I should know more after that.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #299 on: August 03, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »
Don't forget to make sure you have 12 volts running to your coil, by running a meter across the two terminals on the coil with the key in the 'ON' position.