Author Topic: 1963 Ford Fairlane  (Read 148471 times)

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: 1963 Ford Fairlane
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »
What happened with the Accord's title? 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »
What happened with the Accord's title? 
He never transferred it over from the previous owner he purchased it from.  He drove it until their tags expired and put it up for sale.  I sent the title back to him and expected him to follow through on transferring it to him so I had a clean title to hand over to the DMV.  He never did... I bugged him for six months and he didn't do anything -- never answered my phone calls or text messages -- until I sent him a certified letter with a SASE. 

I followed up with the state and they will allow me to transfer it from the current owner to myself so I can sell the damn thing.  I think they called it an 'uncooperative owner' or some such term.

I never received my certified mail receipt (green card) either.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:44:04 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2013, 09:34:46 AM »
Hey Chris glad the tank cleanup worked...would like to see the pics when you get them. Might need to put that method in the old bad o tricks for future use.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2013, 09:47:35 AM »
If I had to do it again, I would have skipped the vinegar and gone straight to The Works.  A little bit goes a long way.

Be sure to do it outside and wear rubber gloves... that stuff is evil.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
If I had to do it again, I would have skipped the vinegar and gone straight to The Works.  A little bit goes a long way.

Be sure to do it outside and wear rubber gloves... that stuff is evil.

Hope you didn't learn that little tidbit by to much personal experience.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
I inhaled a little bit of it, but managed to get away unscathed. 

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »
I inhaled a little bit of it, but managed to get away unscathed. 

Are you sure?  How many fingers am I holding up?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2013, 09:10:13 PM »
Good news, I found a few more suppliers. 

http://classicautoparts.com/
http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/

DC has a replacement steering wheel.  It's for a 60-63 Falcon, but it should fit.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »
What does your steering wheel look like now?  Is it all sticky, or is it cracked? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #159 on: July 06, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »
It's got cracks all over it.  It's pretty bad.

I see a repair kit for $44 but I'm not sure I could make it look good enough.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:52:54 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »
I found some replacement weatherstripping for the 4-door sedan... it's about $100.  The 2-door is more common, but the doors are longer and it won't fit the other car.

The wind noise is pretty bad.  It doesn't do anything for long trips.  All the rubber on this car needs replacing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:58:26 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2013, 08:43:29 PM »
Uck.  I was looking up the paint codes and this car has a metallic finish.  Not what I wanted to hear.

Check out this Ranchero.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »
Steering wheel restoration:

[youtube=640,480]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isF_zDPCiwg[/youtube]

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2013, 10:25:57 PM »
Very cool. I have never seen that POR 15 putty. i know of allot of their other products...have to keep that in mind. Thx Chris.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2013, 10:34:25 PM »
Very cool. I have never seen that POR 15 putty. i know of allot of their other products...have to keep that in mind. Thx Chris.
I found this one earlier today.  He's using a different type, but it looks like any epoxy putty would work.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2013, 11:12:05 PM »
How bad is your steering wheel?  I was going to suggest a filler to restore it, but I assumed it was beyond repair. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:54 PM »
The cracks are all roughly the same size, about 1-2mm.  There's a bunch of them and they're all pretty evenly distributed but I didn't see any hairline cracks.  The material seems to be solid... it's not dried out and crumbling.  It's almost like Bakelite.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »
:rofl:

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2013, 06:20:22 PM »

OMFG!!!!! I about spit out my Beer.....love it

Offline Chris_

« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2013, 08:48:19 PM »
I'm considering picking up an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl intake to replace the stock 2-barrel intake.  I can get an intake for under $200 and a junkyard carburetor for rebuilding.  Another planned upgrade is to replace the mechanical fan with an electrical one.

It would be a winter project, along with having all the shocks on my MGB rebuilt.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:10:30 AM by Chris_ »

Offline CG6468

« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2013, 01:36:29 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp6PkRTmb8U[/youtube]
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »
Finally got this thing home.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new battery. 

I stopped for gas and the thing wouldn't fire up again after I filled up.  I drained my jumper pack because the battery was low when I got there this afternoon.  Looks like I will be stopping by WalMart for a cheapo replacement.  Also, none of the dash bulbs work... that was a fun drive.

Going to have to look at the tie-rods on this thing.  And the brakes.  The steering goes one way, the brakes go in another.

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2013, 10:03:10 PM »
Finally got this thing home.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new battery. 

I stopped for gas and the thing wouldn't fire up again after I filled up.  I drained my jumper pack because the battery was low when I got there this afternoon.  Looks like I will be stopping by WalMart for a cheapo replacement.  Also, none of the dash bulbs work... that was a fun drive.

Going to have to look at the tie-rods on this thing.  And the brakes.  The steering goes one way, the brakes go in another.

Dash bulbs not working...if it ALL there might be fuse/ground issue. As for the brakes yea that kind of thing is common for cars that sit a long time.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »
Jerry said he put in new wheel cylinders, but he didn't say if he replaced any of the hardware.  I bought a new set of springs and pins for both front wheels just in case.

The rubber lines will probably need to be replaced.