Author Topic: busted keyboard  (Read 4813 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
busted keyboard
« on: June 11, 2009, 02:31:15 PM »
In case I've been missed--which I might, or might not, have been--I've been here, but not here.  Sort of like a child looking through the window at an array of candy in a store.  One can look, but not reach.

About a day ago, I dumped a whole quart of coffee on the keyboard.

It wasn't because anything the primitives said; it was that I looked out the window, only to see the cat Snow and the cat Decker playing "tug-of-war" with some gigantic then-dead wildlife.

Anyway, it startled me, and so I knocked a whole quart of coffee onto the keyboard.

Now, I always try to have "spares"--gotten from thrift stores and the like--on hand, most usually in case I need one, and there's 88" of snow on the ground outdoors.

I thought I had a spare keyboard, but oooops, I didn't.

Well, I wasn't going to bother making an 80-mile round trip for another $1.99 keyboard from the big city; and so waited until this afternoon.

Anyway, I'm up and running again, with this new keyboard, and four others stashed in a closet, all gotten from the Salvation Army thrift store for $1.99 each.

It's good to be on the other side of the window now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: busted keyboard
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »
Welcome back, Frank. You have been missing lots of fun on Skin's Island.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
Frank I'm glad you're up and running again.

Did you do anything fun in the big city?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 06:04:56 AM »
Frank I'm glad you're up and running again.

Did you do anything fun in the big city?

Actually, I was surprised how a mere 24-hour absence of keyboard put me behind, like by about three or four days.  I was working on a couple of stories, and right during that keyboardless time was the perfect time to get steamed up and going.

Now it'll probably be the weekend or after, that I get going.

I came here, but could only look, as I couldn't type in my screen name and password.  It was just very odd, seeing conservativecave as the primitives see it, which is to say minus a lot of really good stuff. 

In case the lurking primitives didn't know this, primitives are discussed a great deal in the "shout box," but the shout box is available only to registered members, or to members with a keyboard where they can type in their screen name and password.

Picking up some new used keyboards for spares was the highlight of the trip to the big city; every other errand was pretty mundane, picking up money owed me, dining at a restaurant in a nearby suburb, buying the usual three Powerball lottery tickets, those sorts of things.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 01:07:02 PM »
Actually, I was surprised how a mere 24-hour absence of keyboard put me behind, like by about three or four days.  I was working on a couple of stories, and right during that keyboardless time was the perfect time to get steamed up and going.

Now it'll probably be the weekend or after, that I get going.

I came here, but could only look, as I couldn't type in my screen name and password.  It was just very odd, seeing conservativecave as the primitives see it, which is to say minus a lot of really good stuff. 

In case the lurking primitives didn't know this, primitives are discussed a great deal in the "shout box," but the shout box is available only to registered members, or to members with a keyboard where they can type in their screen name and password.

Picking up some new used keyboards for spares was the highlight of the trip to the big city; every other errand was pretty mundane, picking up money owed me, dining at a restaurant in a nearby suburb, buying the usual three Powerball lottery tickets, those sorts of things.

Hopefully after you hit the powerball we still hear from you.  :-)

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:16:08 PM »
Hopefully after you hit the powerball we still hear from you.  :-)

If you hit Powerball, we want a cut... or at least dump these ads

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »
You could have sprayed the old one down with water and hung it out to dry.  I've done that and it worked!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »
it was that I looked out the window, only to see the cat Snow and the cat Decker playing "tug-of-war" with some gigantic then-dead wildlife.

I'd keep an eye on those two. They might keep moving up the food chain............ :o
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »
In case I've been missed--which I might, or might not, have been--I've been here, but not here.  Sort of like a child looking through the window at an array of candy in a store.  One can look, but not reach.

About a day ago, I dumped a whole quart of coffee on the keyboard.

It wasn't because anything the primitives said; it was that I looked out the window, only to see the cat Snow and the cat Decker playing "tug-of-war" with some gigantic then-dead wildlife.

Anyway, it startled me, and so I knocked a whole quart of coffee onto the keyboard.

Now, I always try to have "spares"--gotten from thrift stores and the like--on hand, most usually in case I need one, and there's 88" of snow on the ground outdoors.

I thought I had a spare keyboard, but oooops, I didn't.

Well, I wasn't going to bother making an 80-mile round trip for another $1.99 keyboard from the big city; and so waited until this afternoon.

Anyway, I'm up and running again, with this new keyboard, and four others stashed in a closet, all gotten from the Salvation Army thrift store for $1.99 each.

It's good to be on the other side of the window now.
Frank...ya prolly have an on screen keyboard already on your puter...go to accessories...then accessibility....then on screen keyboard
if ya ever have an accident with the keyboard again(i found this when I dumped a quart of rum/coke in my laptop and the keyboard quit)
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »
I always wonder why they don't make keyboards spill resistant.  It always struck me that people who make computers don't seem to realize they are making them for messy human beings.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 10:42:23 PM »
I always wonder why they don't make keyboards spill resistant.  It always struck me that people who make computers don't seem to realize they are making them for messy human beings.

They have some but they ain't $5

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 12:26:24 AM »
Back in the days when I fixed computers for a living - It would never cease to amaze me what you could find lurking in a customers keyboard. Some people are disgusting.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »
Back in the days when I fixed computers for a living - It would never cease to amaze me what you could find lurking in a customers keyboard. Some people are disgusting.

Keyboard are usually some of the most disgusting places in your house.  I know immaculately clean people that still have nasty-ass keyboards -- its worse when people don't care... you get vomit, snot, boogers, food crumbs, pet (and human) hair, bugs, spilled drinks, etc etc.  I try to clean mine periodically but short of removing all the keys, its still gross. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline kenth

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 02:39:54 AM »
I've worked in a couple of repair shops. We had one repeat customer, a programmer and a chain smoker. His keyboard had multiple cigarette trails across the top.  :lmao: He was having trouble with it one time so we had his entire pc in the shop. I flipped the keyboard over, and we practically had a pyroclastic flow coming out.  :rotf:

Then there was the computer with the layer of cocoons across the top inner case.  :panic:

And the one that died due to rodent urine. :puke:

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 03:27:07 AM »
I've worked in a couple of repair shops. We had one repeat customer, a programmer and a chain smoker. His keyboard had multiple cigarette trails across the top.  :lmao: He was having trouble with it one time so we had his entire pc in the shop. I flipped the keyboard over, and we practically had a pyroclastic flow coming out.  :rotf:

Then there was the computer with the layer of cocoons across the top inner case.  :panic:

I have a skin condition, probably all sorts of dandruff in there... lol

Aren't the old el cheapo keyboards something like $5 these days?

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 03:38:35 AM »

The ones that amused me were the people who were clearly potheads - where you'd get a "detectable" quantity of weed out of their keyboard.