Author Topic: There is no Obama policy of spying on everyone and no domestic spying  (Read 1422 times)

Offline I_B_Perky

DUmmie Prosense on a roll

ProSense (98,848 posts)

There is no Obama policy of spying on everyone and no domestic spying

Last edited Sat Jun 8, 2013, 11:59 AM USA/ET - Edit history (2)
Anyone pushing that claim is being completely disingenuous

First, there is the question of whom the surveillance targets. PRISM spies on Americans. The Director of National Intelligence emphasized yesterday that PRISM targets only " non-U.S. persons located outside the United States ." But the press release also acknowledges that "information about U.S. persons" may be "incidentally acquired" in such pursuits. Targeting is not the same as collecting; the program may "target" foreign persons, but "acquire" information on Americans.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/06/prisms-legal-basis-how-we-got-here-and-what-we-can-do-to-get-back/276667/?google_editors_picks=true

To claim that it's a "domestic spying" program is implying that Americans are targeted. The piece does not say it targets Americans, and based on the release cited, it definitely does not:

June 6, 2013

DNI Statement on Activities Authorized Under Section 702 of FISA

The Guardian and The Washington Post articles refer to collection of communications pursuant to Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. They contain numerous inaccuracies.

Section 702 is a provision of FISA that is designed to facilitate the acquisition of foreign intelligence information concerning non-U.S. persons located outside the United States. It cannot be used to intentionally target any U.S. citizen, any other U.S. person, or anyone located within the United States.

Activities authorized by Section 702 are subject to oversight by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, the Executive Branch, and Congress. They involve extensive procedures, specifically approved by the court, to ensure that only non-U.S. persons outside the U.S. are targeted, and that minimize the acquisition, retention and dissemination of incidentally acquired information about U.S. persons.

Section 702 was recently reauthorized by Congress after extensive hearings and debate.

Information collected under this program is among the most important and valuable foreign intelligence information we collect, and is used to protect our nation from a wide variety of threats.

The unauthorized disclosure of information about this important and entirely legal program is reprehensible and risks important protections for the security of Americans.

James R. Clapper, Director of National Intelligence

Ret. Adm. Dennis Blair, who served as President Obama’s DNI in 2009 and 2010, told NBC News that, in one instance in 2009, analysts entered a phone number into agency computers and “put one digit wrong,” and mined a large volume of information about Americans with no connection to terror. The matter was reported to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, whose judges required that all the data be destroyed, he said.

<...>

The Justice Department publicly confirmed to the New York Times in April 2009 that Holder had taken “comprehensive steps” to correct a problem in NSA collection after it “detected issues that raised concerns.” But department officials declined to discuss details about what was described at the time as the “over-collection” of information.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022968173

This is illegal domestic spying: http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022959557

There is no wiretapping, widescale or otherwise, of Americans ongoing, even with a warrant.

Obama: PRISM Doesn’t Apply To U.S. Citizens
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022965452

Check out what follows:

Warren Stupidity (32,169 posts)
1. keep telling yourself that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ProSense (98,848 posts)
2. What, that facts matter? n/t

Spin, spin, spin!!!!

xtraxritical (3,124 posts)
76. You know folks it's the FBI that does the domestic spying, don't you?

premium (1,767 posts)
3. You're a hell of a lot more trusting of the govt. than I am.

I have a healty skepticism of anything the govt. says, especially concerning our intelligence agencies.
Sorry, I just don't believe what the NSA or the Admin. is saying about this phone records data collection.

Moles.

premium (1,767 posts)
39. And therein lies the rub,

Last edited Sat Jun 8, 2013, 01:55 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
how do we know that they didn't leak this to Greenwald to cover for more clandestine, maybe illegal, maybe not, activities?
After the numerous revelations of the illegal activities of our intelligence services since the Church hearings in the 70's, I don't believe a word coming out any intelligence service.
And we're supposed to take the word of the Congress, whose approval rating is at a whopping 6%, who the majority of them are nothing more than bought and paid for stooges for the corps., that everything is hunky dory in NSA land?

Somehow, I don't think so.

Yet you support a bigger fed government dummie.

dkf (32,940 posts)
60. DNI has determined there are cases where the constitution was violated but the admin is blocking

the cases from going to the normal court by using the "state secrets" privilege.

Moreover there are accusations FISA is using an unauthorized interpretation of the expanded FISA law, but again it can't be reviewed because the Admin is trying to keep this all in the FISA court which is an inescapable loop.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/7/4406800/editorial-nsa-surveillance-is-obamas-transparency-problem

Oops!!!!

L0oniX (17,662 posts)
43. We're suppost to trust those that don't trust us. Get it?

Which party wants a bigger fed government?

79. Try Somalia if you don't trust government, they don't have one.

They have plenty of domestic terrorism and abuse though.

Why this party!!!!!

Laelth (13,733 posts)
4. Wow, Pro. You're working overtime today.

Admittedly, there is no illegal wiretapping. There may not be any wiretapping at all, but the public does not know that. There is no illegal domestic spying going on. That's because it's (presumably) legal now.

But ...

There definitely is a domestic spying program that is operating in the United States. Nothing you can say will change this fact. This quote from Maedhros makes clear why most of us feel that collecting all this data is, in fact, spying:

Sort of like being followed around by an agent and watched with binoculars all day. No personal information is accessed! No conversations were overheard! They just took note of where you went and to whom you talked.

They weren't spying on you!

I would note that President Obama could change all of this with the stroke of a pen. As President, he controls the executive branch. He could order the NSA to stop collecting all this data on American citizens. All he would have to do is sign the order.

Why he has not done so is the question.

Indeed dummie, indeed.

ProSense (98,848 posts)
5. That's pure spin. n/t

Deny, deny, deny dummie!!! I'm beginning to think he is a paid obumbles stooge.

premium (1,767 posts)
8. What's spin?

The fact that he could sign an EO prohibiting the NSA from collecting phone record data?
He could you know, so, why doesn't he do this and make this whole controversy go away?

Getting hot in that seat there, Prononsense?

ProSense (98,848 posts)
6. Let me address this:

"Admittedly, there is no illegal wiretapping. There may not be any wiretapping at all, but the public does not know that. "

There is no wiretapping, period. To then make the second point about public knowledge is to admit that people who claim that there is really have no basis for it. They're just making stuff up.

That's the ticket, Prononsense. It's all a delusion.

greytdemocrat (1,658 posts)
28. It always makes me smile

When people are this naive. Did Obama send you a personal email telling you so???

Good gravey...

Ouch!!! That's gonna leave a mark across your face, Prononsense.

Andy823 (4,727 posts)
64. Facts don't seem to work these days

Seems like no matter what the facts may say, there are a lot of people here that just can't get it through their heads they are not being wiretapped, the government really isn't watching every move they make, and all the BS that is being spewed about how "everyone" is being watched is simply more right wing BS being put out to try and divide the left, and sadly it seems to be working, at least on DU!

I appreciate your posts, and all the others who have been trying to get the "facts" out to people. As the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink! Seems like you can show some people the facts, but you can't make them stop believing the worst about things, or from buying into the right wing spin!

Prononsense gotta sock puppet.

reformist2 (4,131 posts)
7. I don't believe that. I think there are secret policies we don't know about.

Conspiracy theorist!!!!

midnight (23,700 posts)
10. Technically it is Bush's policy.....

Wait for it....

Laelth (13,733 posts)
16. Not while Obama is President.

Obama owns this mess.

OUCH!!!!!!

DisgustipatedinCA (5,596 posts)
15. You can't talk me into believing a steaming pile of shit is a rose

It's spying, and those defending it are representing the worst in acquiescence and soulless political calculations. You hit bedrock for anyone who tries to adhere to a moral code, and you haven't yet understood that there's no leeway for bullshit redefinitions when our founding principles are at stake.

What do you know about our founding principals dummie?

meaculpa2011 (317 posts)
18. Founding principles? Quaint anachronisms.

There was no illegal wiretapping? There were no illegal internments of Japanese Americans, either.

The outrage is not that they are doing anything illegal, it's that they have made the complete erosion of our freedoms perfectly legal. And we are perfectly comfortable in our surrender.

And yes, I am paranoid. In this environment it just makes good sense.

Dummies paranoid? Who knew?!?!?!

This is a huge campfire. I smell a purge coming at DU.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero

This is a huge campfire. I smell a purge coming at DU.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Oh yeah... Pretty sure Laelth just signed her own death warrant. Can't call The Holy Won of Shitcago out by name like that.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline I_B_Perky

Oh yeah... Pretty sure Laelth just signed her own death warrant. Can't call The Holy Won of Shitcago out by name like that.

Nads is getting close to it too. Check it out... bout halfway down:

Nads flirting with granite

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Nads is getting close to it too. Check it out... bout halfway down:

Nads flirting with granite

That racist. Or perhaps that should be "rasist."
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline I_B_Perky

That racist. Or perhaps that should be "rasist."

Now, now, Mike. Don't cause a kerflunkle.   :tongue: :tongue:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline thundley4

If there is no domestic spying going on, why is the Obama regime looking to prosecute whoever leaked about the domestic spying that isn't happening?

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.

EOM.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Nothing to see here people. Just keep moving along.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

EOM.

:lmao: :rotf: :rofl:

Didn't 3rd ID have a parade of M1A1s behind him at one point?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Only these idiots will believe it when an administration with zero credibility swears that they aren't spying on us.

These are the same people who swore up and down that 0bamacare was going to lower our premiums. Here we are 4 years later and Pelosi had the nerve to say she never claimed that prices would go down. Winston Smith is working overtime this month.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline jukin

Re: There is no Obama policy of spying on everyone and no domestic spying
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »
When Stalin put the dissidents in to the Siberian gulags the really stupid would ask "Does Stalin know about this?" The DUches are just as stupid.

We all know a great purge is coming, it's just a matter of time. 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »
When Stalin put the dissidents in to the Siberian gulags the really stupid would ask "Does Stalin know about this?" The DUches are just as stupid.

We all know a great purge is coming, it's just a matter of time. 

It's not bulemia either. Don't get Paris and friends too excited.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »

Indeed. It might have been the same press conference this photo comes from.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 04:56:13 PM »

Was that the one where one of the tanks had a sign on it that said "Hi Mom!" when it drove by? 

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
DisgustipatedinCA (5,596 posts)
15. You can't talk me into believing a steaming pile of shit is a rose

It's spying, and those defending it are representing the worst in acquiescence and soulless political calculations. You hit bedrock for anyone who tries to adhere to a moral code, and you haven't yet understood that there's no leeway for bullshit redefinitions when our founding principles are at stake.

What do you know about our founding principals dummie?

Ain't that the truth.  I guess s/h/it is talking about the missing FrEEshIt!!!111!!!elEvEntY Amendment. 

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »
Some might be waking up to the fact the unicorns and rainbows are not coming to their doorstep but they might see a visit from New Gestapo sometime soon.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 05:51:26 AM »
I find amusement in the primitives taking comfort in Obama plainly stating (paraphrase) "We are not spying on Americans, we are only collecting 'metadata'. "

Apparently the primitives haven't actually bothered to find out what metadata is.

Obama is using a flowery, nuanced term to fool them -and they are buying it.

I'm going to try to make it simple for them.

Obama is creating a library of information, and everyone they can find is getting put into their own 'book'. References to that 'book' are put into a 'card catalog'. The book then remains on the shelf, unread. -This is the Obama definition of 'metadata'

The Obama definition of 'spying' is going to that card catalog to locate a book to read. 

*The question is, should that metadata - which amounts to the government's ability to learn everything about anyone in a few keystrokes- even exist ?

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 05:55:25 AM »
1984 blossoms under lib control.

Offline Big Don

• Well, there's nothing I won't do; but some things are gonna cost you extra.
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 06:50:22 AM »
76. You know folks it's the FBI that does the domestic spying, don't you?
He/she/it is right, the FBI does it with things like 1995's (CLINTON ERA) Carnivore program...
Change You can deceive in!

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »
Rat out your family, friends and neighbors to gov.co and you're a saint.....rat out gov.co to your family, friends and neighbors and you're Satin.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline Laelth

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
Hello, Mike 220.  I haven't been banned yet, just fyi.   :cheersmate:

-Laelth
We are all in this boat together.