Author Topic: Every so often, this quote by Abe Lincoln seems appropriate...  (Read 534 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
kentuck (62,577 posts)

Every so often, this quote by Abe Lincoln seems appropriate...

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much higher consideration.

Abraham Lincoln, 1861

===========

It's good to know that the founder of the modern Republican Party agrees with those in the Democratic Party morese than those in the Republican Party. Unless you do all the labor and distribution by yourself, Lincoln would disagree that you "built it all by yourself"...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021041787

Hey Kentuck, no one thinks that anyone does anything all by themselves, however we think that only the people who are involved with the business and who do the work are entitled to anything from the business, otherwise known as pay checks. The investors also get paid back what the pumped into the business. So everyone who has a part in it wins. Now you fools come along and say that the business owes you something just because you exist. That does not fly with us or anyone who works for a living. This notion that just because you have paid taxes in your life for the road that goes by the factory that you are owed is insane. The factory pays more in taxes and has paid more in taxes than any one person, so they built those roads just as much, if not more than you did. So you are not owed a damn thing. What if that factory fails should you be charged for what they owe then? Of course not, but that doesn't stop you from demanding your share of the wealth that they created.

The Magistrate (78,319 posts)
1. Always Appropriate, Sir

And it is amazing that anyone ever tries seriously to argue with it....

"Romney loves America like a tick loves a dog."

:mental:

kentuck (62,577 posts)
2. Yes, Sir...

I'm a little surprised so many Republicans are unfamiliar with this quote by Lincoln...

So what? It still doesn't change that you are not owed anything for someone else's labor.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Every so often, this quote by Abe Lincoln seems appropriate...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:43:34 PM »
I'm having problems with that "quote" from Abraham Lincoln.

Big problems.

I wonder if the bluegrass primitive just made it up.

Primitives do things like that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline freedumb2003

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 03:57:08 PM »
I'm having problems with that "quote" from Abraham Lincoln.

Big problems.

I wonder if the bluegrass primitive just made it up.

Primitives do things like that.

It appears to be legit:

http://www.infoplease.com/t/hist/state-of-the-union/73.html

Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. Capital has its rights, which are as worthy of protection as any other rights. Nor is it denied that there is, and probably always will be, a relation between labor and capital producing mutual benefits. The error is in assuming that the whole labor of community exists within that relation. A few men own capital, and that few avoid labor themselves, and with their capital hire or buy another few to labor for them. A large majority belong to neither class--neither work for others nor have others working for them. In most of the Southern States a majority of the whole people of all colors are neither slaves nor masters, while in the Northern a large majority are neither hirers nor hired. Men, with their families--wives, sons, and daughters--work for themselves on their farms, in their houses, and in their shops, taking the whole product to themselves, and asking no favors of capital on the one hand nor of hired laborers or slaves on the other. It is not forgotten that a considerable number of persons mingle their own labor with capital; that is, they labor with their own hands and also buy or hire others to labor for them; but this is only a mixed and not a distinct class. No principle stated is disturbed by the existence of this mixed class.

Read more: State of the Union Address: Abraham Lincoln (December 3, 1861) — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/t/hist/state-of-the-union/73.html#ixzz222zWH9hU

As usual, the libtard DUmmies take the quote out of context and purposely misuse it.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
kentuck (62,577 posts)

Every so often, this quote by Abe Lincoln seems appropriate...

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much higher consideration.

Abraham Lincoln, 1861

===========

It's good to know that the founder of the modern Republican Party agrees with those in the Democratic Party morese than those in the Republican Party. Unless you do all the labor and distribution by yourself, Lincoln would disagree that you "built it all by yourself"...

I don't believe there's mention in that passage about screwing Capital to sustain benefits for the NON-working, whom Lincoln would consider either charity cases or useless vagrants, but not Labor
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.