Author Topic: Fact Check: The Bust of Winston Churchill  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Fact Check: The Bust of Winston Churchill
« on: July 27, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
sinkingfeeling (24,846 posts)

Fact Check: The Bust of Winston Churchill

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/07/27/fact-check-bust-winston-churchill

Now, normally we wouldn’t address a rumor that’s so patently false, but just this morning the Washington Post’s Charles Krauthammer repeated this ridiculous claim in his column. He said President Obama “started his Presidency by returning to the British Embassy the bust of Winston Churchill that had graced the Oval Office.”

This is 100% false. The bust still in the White House. In the Residence. Outside the Treaty Room.

News outlets have debunked this claim time and again. First, back in 2010 the National Journal reported that “the Churchill bust was relocated to a prominent spot in the residence to make room for Abraham Lincoln, a figure from whom the first African-American occupant of the Oval Office might well draw inspiration in difficult times.” And just in case anyone forgot, just last year the AP reported that President Obama “replaced the Oval Office fixture with a bust of one of his American heroes, President Abraham Lincoln, and moved the Churchill bust to the White House residence.”

In case these news reports are not enough for Mr. Krauthammer and others, here’s a picture of the President showing off the Churchill bust to Prime Minister Cameron when he visited the White House residence in 2010.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021032054

Cryos (1 post)
11. Correction for your fack check

Last edited Fri Jul 27, 2012, 07:52 PM USA/ET - Edit history (2)

You might have wanted to gather the facts first. The bust of Churchill given to Bush is at the British ambassadors house. The one still in the White House is a copy not the one from Bush.

Edit to add the other was also made by Jacob Epstein and has been in the White House since the Nixon administration.

Looks like the Obama administration got caught in yet another lie.

Swede (26,948 posts)
13. Cryos,the poor dumb bastard,got tombstoned after one post.

He'll be back in some other form,soon.

Once again DU proves that it is nothing but an echo chamber.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: Fact Check: The Bust of Winston Churchill
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »
Hey, DUmb****s . . .

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo[/youtube]

Just the first 17 seconds or so.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
15 seconds that sums up the DUmmies and their gotcha fact checks.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmNObROcBOo[/youtube]
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »
Anything that is on the White House website, that was put there by the obama admin, including all the editing that his team did to other presidents bios, will have to be corrected to reflect the truth when he is finally gone.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:39:11 PM »
Anything that is on the White House website, that was put there by the obama admin, including all the editing that his team did to other presidents bios, will have to be corrected to reflect the truth when he is finally gone.

If the clown has to take multiple tries at a birth certificate,.........

Well....

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »
If the clown has to take multiple tries at a birth certificate,.........

Well....

Imagine how many tries he would have to take at his college records.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 03:04:19 AM »
Imagine how many tries he would have to take at his college records.

I don't know about tries, but you think after 4 years, he'd at least have a decent rough draft.   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »
I don't know about tries, but you think after 4 years, he'd at least have a decent rough draft.   :lmao:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I would even be happy with something written on a napkin at this point.  :lmao:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:24:58 AM »

The grades aren't the problem, look at Gore, whose grades were slightly worse than Bush's, but didn't stop the Dems from claiming he was a genius and Bush was a dope.  The problem is something more along the lines of declaring himself either a foreign student or a Muslim on the admission or registration forms, possibly both.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
The grades aren't the problem, look at Gore, whose grades were slightly worse than Bush's, but didn't stop the Dems from claiming he was a genius and Bush was a dope.  The problem is something more along the lines of declaring himself either a foreign student or a Muslim on the admission or registration forms, possibly both.

Exactly! And I am betting he put both....

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »
White House admits it did return Winston Churchill bust to Britain

Barack Obama's White House has been forced to admit that it did return a bust of Sir Winston Churchill to British diplomats, after describing such claims as "100 per cent false".

"This is 100 per cent false," Mr Pfeiffer said. "The bust is still in the White House. In the Residence. Outside the Treaty Room". Illustrating his statement with a photograph of Mr Obama inspecting it with David Cameron in 2010, he added: "Hopefully this clears things up a bit and prevents folks from making this ridiculous claim again".

British officials were surprised by Mr Pfeiffer's statement and photograph, however, because the bust now resides in the residence of Sir Peter Westmacott, Britain's ambassador to the US. Further inquiries led to the discovery that there are, in fact, two matching Churchill busts by Epstein.
Telegraph

Idiots.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.