Author Topic: Progressives try to intimidate Cheeseheads, some are angered by it  (Read 673 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
A lot of newbies on this thread, hmm:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10843034

HereSince1628 (22,859 posts)

Anyone know anything about Greater Wisconsin Political Fund?
I find their giant postcard mailer listing my name with 12 neighbors names, addresses and voting history in past elections is WAY too novel and not just a little bit creepy.

snacker (2,411 posts)
1. We just got the same one.

It is a little weird, but looks like they are trying to encourage people to get their neighbors to vote. I guess that's not such a bad thing.

2. Here's the text, this is beyond a little creepy it borders on intimidating

Dear registered voter

Scott Walker won in 2010 because too many people stayed home!

<snip>

We are sending this mailing to you and your neighbors to publicize who does and does not vote.

<snip>

After the June 5th election, public records will tell everyone who voted and who didn't.

Do your civic duty-vote and remind your neighbors to vote.

(List of names, addresses and voting history follows)

3. Re: Greater Wisconsin Committee...

The Greater Wisconsin Committee doesn't talk much about what it does. It has no website and apparently no general membership recruitment. A memo from the GWC posted at wispolitics.com and dated May 1, 2006, describes the group as tax-exempt, independent and issue-oriented, with a mission to "educate and mobilize Wisconsin residents on important economic, health, social and environmental issues."

The group has listed Democratic political kingmaker and blogger Bill Christofferson as its "general media consultant." Michelle McGrorty, GWC executive director, didn't return a call seeking updated information. A former fund-raiser for convicted state Sen. Chuck Chvala, McGrorty testified under immunity about illegal fund-raising activities during the state Capitol caucus investigation.

GWC runs a political action committee that has made some independent expenditures. But most of its money is spent on issue ads — an estimated $4.6 million in 2006, including attacks on Van Hollen, gubernatorial challenger Mark Green, and a handful of GOP legislative candidates. In 2007, it spent an estimated $400,000 on issue ads benefiting Linda Clifford.

The source of most of that cash remains undisclosed, but McCabe's group traced $1.1 million in 2005 and 2006 to the Democratic Governors Association, another $800,000 to the Democratic Attorney Generals Association, and some $1.7 million to unions, wealthy individuals and corporations.

AllyCat (6,521 posts)
37. They did an issue ad against Walker during the 2010 election.

I know because I was in it. Legitimate group. It's a PAC, pure and simple and for once, it is one on our side. I am not a fan of issue ads, but when I found out who it was against, I jumped at the chance. I've met Michelle and she is quite educated on the issues.

Not sure what to think of this mailer. All the info is public knowledge. It was funny because for our mailer, everyone except ONE person had voted in all the elections listed so it didn't really make their case

arjaywis (1 post)
4. Invasive

The organization does have a website:
http://www.greaterwisfund.com/

While I may agree with most of their philosophy and aims, I greatly resent the invasive and annoying tactic of this recent mailer. I don't much enjoy having my name and address included in a piece sent to the world at large.

They dropped the ball on this one and should reconsider. There is a place, noted on the mailer, to respond -"if you feel it to be in error." I intend to voice my discontent - and include a link to this thread.

Poiuyt (11,921 posts)
6. I didn't like it either - too Big Brotherish

They say the data comes directly from the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board so I guess it's public record, but it's still creepy.

ms.helle (1 post)
7. My name is listed on the flyers sent in our neighborhood

I'm the only one on the list that is listed as having missed an election - but I did vote that year - under a different name. I got married a couple of months before the election and changed my name at the polls. I don't appreciate being singled out - especially with the address listed. It is more than a bit creepy.

colbey (1 post)
8. are we SURE they're basically Democratic?

i just read mine too. it's been sitting there since the mail was delivered, and i finally got around to turning it over.

unbelievable. as if the flyers down here in janesville weren't bad enough. this makes me angry enough to think i won't volunteer on monday to go door-to-door. (which is why i kinda wonder'd if it was a republican/tea party group, hoping for just that effect.)

i've been concerned about the recall sigs being so public for awhile, and now this. i've been thinking some action needs to occur (after the hubbub of the recalls), and i'm even more convinced of that now. but i'm just a lowly peon, with no lawyer friends or legal connections, so my ideas won't get anywhere.

anyway, this is outrageous. i do vote, but that's MY business. further, the rest of the text of the flyer alerts those who receive it as to how i likely voted. one could assume they're only including "likely obama supporters" (which i was not, btw), but how do we know? as a matter of fact, HOW did they know which voters' names to pull off the big list and include in their little "kick the people most likely to support us" game??

AllyCat (6,521 posts)
38. Please volunteer on Monday colbey.

GWC is a legitimate, progressive PAC. This is one group among many who may have crossed the line. Please don't hold it against all the other people working to get Walker out of office. I certainly see your point about the mailer (we really didn't like it when they publicized everyone who signed the recall petition), but it is public info.

Please volunteer and vote!

Welcome to DU!

PeaceNikki (17,467 posts)
9. From a discussion on FB

http://www.facebook.com/recalldarling/posts/364823916906192

"I got a piece of mail today from the Greater Wisconsin Political Fund. It says, "Dear Registered Voter: Who votes is public record!" They state that they are taking a new approach and publicizing who does and does not vote. Then it lists my neighbors by name and address and whether or not they voted in 08 and 10. I thought wth? Who could possibly try to intimidate voters like this so I googled them. Imagine my surprize at what I found. Greater WI political fund was established by the Greater WI Committee http://www.greaterwisconsin.org/ which is a liberal grassroots organization. What were they thinking? This is the kind of crap that the Verify the Recall idiots do....the worse part is that it could have been done very positively....call out to folks to remind their neighbors to vote. BTW, the only guy who didn't vote in both elections has been dead since early 2008. Bet his widow is just thrilled to see him listed as a non-voter. "

"This type of thing, the actions of the verify people and Janesville people truly sends shivers down my spine. I don't care which party does it. These kinds of actions create the kind of atmosphere so many died to overcome in Europe during WWII. Rather than cultivating strong bonds between neighbors, they cultivate an attitude of fear."

"They revealed the full name and address of a domestic violence victim (acquaintance of mine) who was on the lay-low. Whatever their motives, they are ham fisted fools. Is there ANYONE in this state who can take the concerns of women seriously?"

Ugh... bad stuff.

JimZ (2 posts)
13. Concern about this topic

To my chagrin, Friday I received the flyer in the mail (mailer, not in an envelope) with my name, address, and the number of times I voted in recent years, along with listings for neighbors. No doubt, they received similar information. I thought this information was private, and if not, it should be. The Greater Wisconsin Political Fund (http://www.greaterwisconsin.org/aboutus.htm) is responsible for this. If this is supposed to encourage me to vote, it is doing the opposite. I do not believe in such strong-arm tactics and I do not endorse them. It is one thing to encourage people to vote, but the card states that "Scott Walker won in 2010 because too many people stayed home," and this makes it a political mailing, not a voter education effort, like the fine work of the League of Women Voters. At the same time, those labeled as missing the 2010 election seem implicated as causing the results of that election. The logic is not watertight. It is manipulation, and not very good manipulation at that.

AnotherMcIntosh (1,436 posts)
26. Could this be one of the Republican dirty tricks? Others have asked this as well.

Ed Suspicious (442 posts)
14. My wife received one. I was not listed on it for whatever reason.

We usually look at the political mailers and toss them out with little commentary. This one had us discussing implications and we didn't really like what we saw.

Bad, bad, bad.

Ralph Ricketts This message was hidden by Jury decision.

RJLange (2 posts)
17. What's your point?

I looked at the list. What's your point?
Are you suggesting the people and organizations on the list aren't 'classy'?
Are you suggesting that all Democrats aren't 'classy'?
Are you suggesting that people who contribute aren't 'classy'?
Are you suggesting that all non-democrats are 'classy'?

Stay vague Ralphy!!

rolandgeorg (4 posts)
20. Information I did find.

My parents received the same mailing and it was absolutely a concern on many levels.

I attempted to contact the fund itself and there is no one apparently answering the phones on the weekend.

I did notice however that one name appeared on the flyer; Jane Gellman. . I have no idea if its the same one, but I found a listing on-line in the white pages for a phone number for Jane Gellman, and I called to leave a message asking to speak with her with regard to the content of the mailing.

Perhaps other might search of the same info and post if you find anything

bleaucheeseWI (1 post)
21. I SMELL A KOCH!!

I got this flier and several of the names besides mine can be found of the recall sig database.

It seems ridiculously timed and frankly the Dems have nothing to gain using this tactic, but the KOCHs do. It smells very fishy and I suspect Mondays right wing radio squawkers are going to have a field day with this on Monday.

22. Check you garbage, there are some really bad things that smell like Koch.

OKNancy (26,205 posts)
23. true... it could be a dirty trick

just because a flyer has a name on it, doesn't mean it comes from that group.

I'd hold off on any ire about this until someone verifies the source.

ALASKAMOM (1 post)
28. Very unreliable information

My mom receieved a postcard in the mail today, listing me as a deadbeat voter in the state of Wisconsin. Last I heard, out of state residents were not allowed to vite in Wisconsin state elections. I have been an Alaskan resident for the past 13 years and my name has been removed from the voter rolls since that time. I am very offended by this label, as I have voted in every single election for which I've been eligible and I'm registered undeclared so that I have the opportunity to vote for the candidate, not the party, especially in the primary elections. I am dismayed that this group, which appears to have alot of democratic support, believes that this tactic is going to be effective in defeating Scott Walker in the recall. I personally think that they would be better off checking and verifying their sources and using a more positive tactic which would encourage people to vote, rather than this seemingly negative postcard campaign, which may drive people to vote in a way that may not be intended. It really makes me question the integrity and motives of this group.

bellisimo (1 post)
30. contact information for this organization

i also received the mailing with incorrect inforrmation regarding voting history and was outraged by the tactics being used. the board president of the greater wisconsin political fund is Jim Youngerman e-mail is JNY47@hotmail.com if anyone else agrees that there are better ways to get non voters to vote as opposed to trying to threaten non-voters and demean them, then please let him and this organization know.......

undeterred (31,371 posts)
35. True.

Its a very strange piece of mail. I did talk with some of my neighbors about it, and we all felt uncomfortable with this kind of exposure.

36. OK, I found this in an MSNBC story, Greater Wisconsin got $900K from Dem Govs Association and $500K

from AFSCME.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/03/12026389-cpi-wisconsin-recall-battle-is-states-most-expensive-election?lite

In late May, Greater Wisconsin took a $500,000 donation from AFSCME and $900,000 more from the Democratic Governors Association to fuel a final online, radio, and TV ad push in the week ahead of the vote.

So this mailer was from the Democratic and labor side

lam (1 post)
40. Thanks for the research validating the group

My name was on the mailer along with two neighbors that I kinda knew. I called them, we talked about the mailer, none of us liked it, but it brought us into a conversation. I think that is the step the GW group hopes people will take.

"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Re: Progressives try to intimidate Cheeseheads, some are angered by it
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
All your mailers are belong to us.

Someone give the ParGen dial another spin.  :-)
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
I've gotten 2 Barrett mailers. Tore them up, and threw them in the big green dumpster before going back into my apartment.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
I'd prosecute them for voter intimidation. Doesn't matter if it's public record. You have intent, and any good prosecutor could make the case for it.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
All your mailers are belong to us.

Someone give the ParGen dial another spin.  :-)
Lots of Jiminy Crickets posting in that thread. :whistling:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
Poiuyt (11,921 posts)
6. I didn't like it either - too Big Brotherish

They say the data comes directly from the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board so I guess it's public record, but it's still creepy.

What is the problem for the DUmmies?  They want the state to provide for from the cradle to the grave. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
You probably wouldn't see so much outrage from DU if this was happening to gun owners, Prop 8 voters, or Republicans.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline hillneck

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
You ever notice if there is something they don't like, they attempt to blame some republican boogey man.  Even after being told multiple times it is/was a Dummycrat organization.    :mental:
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
2. Here's the text, this is beyond a little creepy it borders on intimidating

Dear registered voter

Scott Walker won in 2010 because too many people stayed home!

Keep thinking that, DUmbass.
<snip>

We are sending this mailing to you and your neighbors to publicize who does and does not vote.

<snip>

After the June 5th election, public records will tell everyone who voted and who didn't.

Do your civic duty-vote and remind your neighbors to vote.

(List of names, addresses and voting history follows)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Karin

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
That is creepy!  "Here is what you and your neighbors have been up to for the last few Novembers."  Man, would I run with that through the neighborhood.  "Demokrats are Big Brother, through and through, and this is proof." 

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »
I'd prosecute them for voter intimidation. Doesn't matter if it's public record. You have intent, and any good prosecutor could make the case for it.

That's what bothers me, we saw something like this in California and people who donated to Yes on 8 had their names released, the purpose was to intimidate people.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:10 PM »
That is creepy!  "Here is what you and your neighbors have been up to for the last few Novembers."  Man, would I run with that through the neighborhood.  "Demokrats are Big Brother, through and through, and this is proof."

It would be funny if it got people out to vote for Walker.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
I got one of these in the mail on Saturday.  Don't worry, Greater Wisconsin Political Fund, I'm going to do my civic duty and vote tomorrow--though probably not the way you'd like.
 :bird:
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden