Author Topic: Talented Machinist  (Read 3513 times)

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
Talented Machinist
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:40:32 AM »
Like hot rods? NASCAR ain't sh!t. These are true hot rods, the inverted V-12 supercharged engines that powered the legendary WWII fighter planes like the Supermarine Spitfire, P-51 Mustang and Messerschmitt Bf-109.

These were made by such storied firms as Rolls-Royce, Packard and Daimler-Benz. Their 2,000 horsepower propelled these aircraft at speeds in excess of 400 mph.

This guy has mad skills and enormous patience~

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Xww-J3igE[/youtube]

The audio on this vid gives an idea of the raw power a V-12 possesses and if you have ever been to an airshow and had a Spitfire, Mustang or 109 make a low pass less than a hundred feet over your head at speed then you know what I'm talking about. NASCAR can't touch this but if NASCAR had machine guns and blazing cannon I would be their biggest fan. :hyper:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgYkfq9OVw[/youtube]

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
Re: Talented Machinist
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:34:33 AM »
in the FWIW column, if the BF109 has the exhaust manifold low in the cowling, it's authentic. If it's high, it's post war Spanish built (under contract) with the RR Merlin engine.
A post-war Spanish Me109...

The WW2 German Me109...

The significant difference in the engines is that the Daimler-Benz V12 in the Me109 was inverted, and fuel injected. The Merlins in the Spits, Hurricanes,  and F-51s were vertical and carburetored.

Just thought I'd throw this in.............
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
Free, that was way cool.  Thank you for providing me something to show my boyfriend from my computer that was not lame.   :cheersmate:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
Free, that was way cool.  Thank you for providing me something to show my boyfriend from my computer that was not lame.   :cheersmate:
Happy to be of service, Tots.  :)

Now if that guy could fabricate a little bitty Jaguar XKE to put that V-12 into and train a chipmunk to rocket around in it he'd really be onto something!  :hyper:

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:32:48 AM »
That was pretty impressive!  Except for the difference in pitch, it's uncanny how much it sounds like a full 1:1 V12.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »
That engine is pretty cool, but it's not really "functional'? Looks like it's "running" off of compressed air.

Still a damn fine example of machine work.  :cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:11:30 AM »
That engine is pretty cool, but it's not really "functional'? Looks like it's "running" off of compressed air.

Still a damn fine example of machine work.  :cheersmate:

I know a great guy who machines fully functional miniatures, he shows at them at couple of CO car shows every year.  Pretty sure this is the 1st one he finished.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-NgVYZPnUI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:13:45 AM by JakeStyle »