Author Topic: 'No Signal' Between PS3 and HDTV: Help Needed!  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Cineadh

• Probationary (Probie)
'No Signal' Between PS3 and HDTV: Help Needed!
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:14:08 AM »
So I know that I'm rather new and am not sure how man technical experts are on this forum... however I thought that I would chance it anyway:

I've recently purchased a 40" Sony BRAVIA V-Series and Playstation 3.  I've successfully been playing the system on a wonderful 1080p resolution for about two weeks now, yet late last night, when quitting the game I was playing (Oblivion, if it matters), the signal dropped and I kept getting 'No Signal' from my TV since.  Not to long after the fact I tried bringing up the PS3 menu and something flickered on the television...however, dropped again within a second or two. 

I've unplugged and replugged the HDMI-to-HDMI cable from both ends, tried a different port on the TV, and did the whole '10 seconds' reset tactic on the PS3 that resets the video settings on the system and automatically changes to whatever you may have plugged in.  Still, 'No Signal'.

So I myself am left with two options:

1) While frustrating all the same, it could be the cable itself is busted and simply need a new one.  I bought it cheap-o from Amazon, though I really didn't think it'd make that world of a difference as opposed to buying a cable for $30-$50 at Best Buy.  I may still be proven to be mistaken.

2) This is the more frightful option.  The HDMI port on either the PS3 or the TV is busted.  Doubtful it's the TV as I've tried multiple ports.  However, if it's the PS3, that would mean I have to take it in for repair or replacement.  Luckily, it's still under warranty, but I'd really rather not have to get rid of all the data saves I've accumulated thus far.

Am I missing something?  Could there perhaps be a simple solution to this that doesn't require a complete overhaul or cable replacement?  Have any of you experienced this before or simply be familiar with the problem?  I'd love any help you could give.

Thanks!
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hengest - That Hideous Strength

"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, your past, or your friends. You realize that you are responsible for your own choices." --Albert Ellis

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving." --Dale Carnegie

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: 'No Signal' Between PS3 and HDTV: Help Needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 09:29:23 AM »
There's plenty of good high-quality top-notch grade-A computer experts here, but you'll have to be patient about getting an answer, due to it being the weekend, and that conservativecave tends to be an evening board, and not a morning one.

You'll get answers, good answers, but not like real fast.

You should also perhaps post this question in the computer forum here.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Cineadh

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 09:32:54 AM »
Will do, Frank.  I did notice that the board seems to move at it's own pace so I won't expect a quick answer, though I did notice that with other technical questions, conservatives here seem to be the most thorough.  :D

I'll try copy-pasting in another forum or two in the meantime.  Compare and contrast never hurts, right?

Thanks!
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."

"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, your past, or your friends. You realize that you are responsible for your own choices." --Albert Ellis

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving." --Dale Carnegie

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:22:27 AM »
Based on what you've described, rebooting the PS3, and connecting the output to different inputs on the TV, it sounds like either you have accidently disabled the HDMI inputs on the TV (best case), or blown the video output chip in the PS3, but I'm no expert on game devices.

I would try connecting a different device to the HDMI inputs to the TV to eliminate that scenatio ( even if you have to borrow something from a friend, such as a Blue Ray player), and if that works, the problem is in the PS3.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Cineadh

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »
Well, as said earlier, I'm glad that I still have warranty on both! 

If I did disable the HDMI ports on my TV, would you mind offering a brief explanation as to how to enable them again?  I'm still not too familiar with how HDTVs work.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 10:30:34 AM »
Well, as said earlier, I'm glad that I still have warranty on both! 

If I did disable the HDMI ports on my TV, would you mind offering a brief explanation as to how to enable them again?  I'm still not too familiar with how HDTVs work.

All TV sets are different, but it will likely be somewhere in the "setup" menu that is accessed via the remote control......your manual should give you some guidance.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Cineadh

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:51:53 AM »
Thanks.  In retrospect, that was a rather 'duh' question.  I did indeed check and it looks like all ports to the TV are either Enabled or set to AUTO.  My next option from here is to see about getting another HDMI cable and hoping that works.  I'll update soon.  In the meantime, if someone has any further suggestions, please let me know!

Offline Casey

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
I don't know if Cineadh still posts here or not, but I suggest he/she get a new, good HDMI cable. But if the problem's with the PS3, and you have to take it in for repair or replacement and you don't want to loose all your data saves, just get a memory card.
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society." -Theodore Roosevelt