Author Topic: These 95 Apartments Promised Affordable Rent in San Francisco. Then 6,580 People  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
These 95 Apartments Promised Affordable Rent in San Francisco. Then 6,580 People Applied
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/upshot/these-95-apartments-promised-affordable-rent-in-san-francisco-then-6580-people-applied.html

SAN FRANCISCO — For $1,200 a month, Patricia Torres and her family were renting a bedroom, a share of time in the bathroom, one vegetable drawer and one shelf in the fridge, and two cupboards over the stove. They rented not so much a home as a fraction of one.

Karen Calderon had even less: a single room in a homeless shelter where she was not allowed so much as a hot plate to cook for her family.

Adrian Caratowsa had a studio he’d remade as his own, repainting the walls and wallpapering over the kitchen cabinets. But every day for five years, he walked out into a neighborhood he found depressing.

Leftist San Francisco has a serious housing shortage. A shack in the Bay Area costs more than a house in New York City.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DLR Pyro

These 95 Apartments Promised Affordable Rent in San Francisco. Then 6,580 People Applied

Leftist San Francisco has a serious housing shortage. A shack in the Bay Area costs more than a house in New York City.

nancy pelosi's problem for nancy pelosi's voters.  I no care...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
nancy pelosi's problem for nancy pelosi's voters.  I no care...

It'd be interesting to see, however, of those 95 who get the apartments, who they are, perhaps pets of the local political bosses?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline freedumb2003b

Ms. Calderon and her husband had been looking for a home for two years, since the last landlord learned of the third child on the way and told them they had to go. They could afford a studio, a one-bedroom maybe, but no one Ms. Calderon called would rent such a small space to a family of five. So they slept in their car, with a newborn, for months. They entered one homeless shelter, then another.

I have GOT to get ahold of the weapon that is being used on these people to make them stay in a situation like that.  I could rule the world!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I have GOT to get ahold of the weapon that is being used on these people to make them stay in a situation like that.  I could rule the world!

Yep, the average reasonably smart person would have figured out that if you can't afford to stay where you're at -- MOVE.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Old n Grumpy

That averages out to 69 people per apartment, so each has to pay$17.39 per month in rent. Now that is reasonable!! :-)

That is what I don't understand, if you can't afford to live there why not move? When I see the stories about the homeless living and deficating in the streets , cars being broken into , panhandlers etc, it seems the quality of life is pretty poor. I sure wouldn't want to live in a place like that.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
Yep, the average reasonably smart person would have figured out that if you can't afford to stay where you're at -- MOVE.

Dang man, don't give them any ideas... these are undoubtedly all filthy leftists. Nobody wants them infiltrating the American zones.
I like them suffering right where they are, not over here voting for a democrat.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Dang man, don't give them any ideas... these are undoubtedly all filthy leftists. Nobody wants them infiltrating the American zones.
I like them suffering right where they are, not over here voting for a democrat.

Good point, and yes -- let them suffer on the Left Coast where they belong.

h5
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.