Author Topic: New Printer  (Read 2668 times)

Offline CG6468

New Printer
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
I gave my previous printer to our grandaughter and bought a new one today.

It's an Epson Workforce 630. I installed it, but it only appears in the administrator's area. That will do no good for my wife OR me. Now nothing will print out, and it doesn't appear as a choice in any of my programs.

The copy and scan functions work OK; I haven't hooked it up yet as a FAX machine.

How do I install it as the system printer? I'm tearing my hair out and getting nowhere.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: New Printer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
I assume you're running XP and the printer is connected with a USB cable?

New printers can be difficult.  Did you install the printer software before plugging it into the computer? 

Another option is to shut the computer off, connect the printer, and power the printer on.  When you boot the computer, it should automatically install the correct printer driver.  I've had issues with USB cables that had to be installed separately from the printer itself before it would recognize it (that was actually a scanner and not a printer).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:04:34 PM »
I assume you're running XP NO. It's WIN 2010, or whatever they call the newest version. and the printer is connected with a USB cable? NO. It's a wireless.

New printers can be difficult.  Did you install the printer software before plugging it into the computer?  YES.

Another option is to shut the computer off, connect the printer, and power the printer on.  When you boot the computer, it should automatically install the correct printer driver.  I've had issues with USB cables that had to be installed separately from the printer itself before it would recognize it (that was actually a scanner and not a printer).

But I screwed around with things, and I got it to communicate with the computer. Now it prints in Word and Excel (phew!). But I can't get it to print with my Printscreen program.  :???:  But for some reason, I can't access Epson's ink supply feature, either.  :???:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 07:07:45 PM »
I've never had any problems installing previous printers, all the way back to the DOS days in the 1980s.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
Did you check to see if it was Windows 7 compatible? I'd check their website for updated drivers, too.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »
Did you check to see if it was Windows 7 compatible? I'd check their website for updated drivers, too.

Compatability is no problem. I did download the latest driver(s), and like I said above, it now works for everything but my printscreen program.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 01:30:38 AM »
Compatability is no problem. I did download the latest driver(s), and like I said above, it now works for everything but my printscreen program.

Try running your printscreen program in compatibility mode. (right click the program, properties and look at the compatibility tab)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:40:57 AM »
If it is a network printer you might be able to browse the network and right click to install it in future.

Print screen program ?

I've not found any situation where prtscr and dumping the clipboard into paint didn't work.