Author Topic: How the right is playing the "computer" Ad.....  (Read 3922 times)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
How the right is playing the "computer" Ad.....
« on: September 12, 2008, 07:26:33 PM »
And Obama sticks his foot in his mouth yet again, as this DUmmiy discovers... LINKAGE

Quote from: Bennyboy
Bennyboy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)
Fri Sep-12-08 08:16 PM
Original message

How the right is playing the "computer" Ad.....

Wondering No More

Yep. The day after 9/11, as part of its "get tough" makeover, the Obama campaign is mocking John McCain for not using a computer, without caring why he doesn't use a computer. From the AP story about the computer illiterate ad:

"Our economy wouldn't survive without the Internet, and cyber-security continues to represent one our most serious national security threats," Pfeiffer said. "It's extraordinary that someone who wants to be our president and our commander in chief doesn't know how to send an e-mail."

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "extraordinary." The reason he doesn't send email is that he can't use a keyboard because of the relentless beatings he received from the Viet Cong in service to our country. From the Boston Globe (March 4, 2000):

McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball.

<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>>>

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OTliMTNiZjg5ZDEwZWNiZDYwZWFjN2JlNjNjNjkxZmM=

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: How the right is playing the "computer" Ad.....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 07:29:01 PM »
I love it when Obama gets "tough"

But,

Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:48:27 PM »
angstlessk  (1000+ posts)      Fri Sep-12-08 08:20 PM
Response to Original message
4. bullshit...steven hawkin can send e-mail...crippled hands are no excuse
 Edited on Fri Sep-12-08 08:22 PM by angstlessk
just laziness!!!

on edit: shit I posted that before I read the article...oops!!!

wasn't sure what the retard was talking about...

Wondering No More   [Jonah Goldberg]

Yep. The day after 9/11, as part of its "get tough" makeover, the Obama campaign is mocking John McCain for not using a computer, without caring why he doesn't use a computer. From the AP story about the computer illiterate ad:

"Our economy wouldn't survive without the Internet, and cyber-security continues to represent one our most serious national security threats," [Obama spokesman Dan] Pfeiffer said. "It's extraordinary that someone who wants to be our president and our commander in chief doesn't know how to send an e-mail."

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by "extraordinary." The reason he doesn't send email is that he can't use a keyboard because of the relentless beatings he received from the Viet Cong in service to our country. From the Boston Globe (March 4, 2000):

McCain gets emotional at the mention of military families needing food stamps or veterans lacking health care. The outrage comes from inside: McCain's severe war injuries prevent him from combing his hair, typing on a keyboard, or tying his shoes. Friends marvel at McCain's encyclopedic knowledge of sports. He's an avid fan - Ted Williams is his hero - but he can't raise his arm above his shoulder to throw a baseball.

In a similar vein I guess it's an outrage that the blind governor of New York David Patterson doesn't know how to drive a car. After all, transportation issues are pretty important. How dare he serve as governor while being ignorant of what it's like to navigate New York's highways.

Update: Well, now the story is up on Drudge (You heard it here first!). Re: Mark's point about how the supposedly web-savvy Obama campaign can't handle Google, here's another story confirming he has difficulty using a keyboard. Ironically, it's from one of the most pro-Obama journalists out there, Jacob Weisberg, in an article in Slate in 2000:

"Six months ago, no one would have pegged McCain as the most cybersavvy of this year's crop of candidates. At 63, he is the oldest of the bunch and because of his war injuries, he is limited in his ability to wield a keyboard."

Now, in response to some angry criticism already coming in: Feh.

Some say, So what if he was handicapped? He could still learn how to send email.

Sure, but why would he? Bill Clinton sent two emails during his entire presidency and often admitted he didn't know squat about the internet.

One reader says "Steven Hawking knows how to use a computer!" Yes, because if he didn't he couldn't do his job or communicate. McCain, like Clinton, didn't have that problem. Here's a more sane version of t he same complaint:

You are ridiculous about this. While of course McCain probably can't type for long periods or in the manner in which many of us do, there are a tremendous amount of people that peck with just their index fingers. He also can surely use a mouse. How much typing do you really have to do to send emails and use the internet. Plus, when he was asked point blank about it he never said he couldn't type. I am sure he can't use a blackberry, but there are tons of people with far worse injuries than McCain that use a computer.

That's absolutely true, I'm sure. But they need to use computers to get through life. McCain doesn't. And the fact that he's not blaming his disability hardly sounds like a serious indictment. If he did blame his disability, many of the same folks yelling at me would be complaining that McCain's whining.

Now, I'd hardly be surprised if McCain could type for short stretches and all that. The point is, that it's perfectly understandable why he wouldn't get in the habit of it.

Oh one last point for now: Lord knows I think the chicken-hawk arguments are stupid. And I don't think the fact that Obama never served in the military should count against him in and of itself. But how stupid is it for the Obama campaign to claim that McCain is unqualified to be president because he can't grasp cyber-security issues based on the fact he has never sent an email when the McCain campaign can just as easily say Obama can't understand first order national security issues because he's never fired a rife, flown a plane, commanded men in battle, or faced an enemy? I mean which prepares someone to be commander in chief better, hitting "send" on AOL or fighting a war?

Update II: On the other hand: I don't know what to make of this interview with the New York Times. He sounds awfully web savvy in it, which makes the Obama ad sound unfair. And if you read it closely, it sounds like he knows how to surf with a mouse, but doesn't do much by way of typing.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »
When I read the earlier post I thought it had to be some sort of a DU joke.
I couldn`t imagine a national campaign for the Presidency could come up with something this sophomoric at this stage,even Dukakis in the tank was earlier if I remember correctly.

These are the super intellectuals??

I talk to folks on the phone regularly that can`t navigate an online store or have ever set up an email account,it isn`t that unusual and that is without a physical limitation.

It is like Christmas everyday from these people and it shows the problem with sending an empty suit up because they thought his skin color would trump anything.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:59:20 PM by Carl »

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »
These democrat strategists are brilliant!

First, they framed the election as a referendum on Sarah Palin, who is in the process of becoming the most popular figure in the USA.

Now, they get smacked on ridiculing McCain over war injuries.

Senator McCain can't use a computer due to injuries suffered in service to his country. The Obamessiah can use a computer, but is apparently too stupid to use Google.

Bob Shrum must be back on the job.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:00:22 PM »

First, they framed the election as a referendum on Sarah Palin, who is in the process of becoming the most popular figure in the USA.

Senator McCain can't use a computer due to injuries suffered in service to his country. The Obamessiah can use a computer, but is apparently too stupid to use Google.

H5.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:42:43 PM »
When I read the earlier post I thought it had to be some sort of a DU joke.
I couldn`t imagine a national campaign for the Presidency could come up with something this sophomoric at this stage,even Dukakis in the tank was earlier if I remember correctly.

These are the super intellectuals??

I talk to folks on the phone regularly that can`t navigate an online store or have ever set up an email account,it isn`t that unusual and that is without a physical limitation.

It is like Christmas everyday from these people and it shows the problem with sending an empty suit up because they thought his skin color would trump anything.

Its full-on panic - they are wasting their efforts attacking the VP candidate, because it keeps losing them support, and when they do go after McCain, they pick the wrongiddy-wrongest way to do it.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 08:58:46 PM »
KOS writes Obamalama's stuff, no doubt about it.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »
I find the whole "doesn't use email" to be MASSIVE mistake on the biden/hussein campaign.

I have learned, over a pretty long life, that you DON'T lump unimportant issues with silly issues.  The commercials that attempt to nail McCain for not being cyber-savvy lump important issues (like taxes, etc.) with silly issues (he doesn't understand email).

Hey, DU lurkers!  When you put a bunch of accusations together, the subject need only deal with the least of them to win the entire argument.

Bad strategy -- your folks ain't no Rove, that is for damn sure!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 06:55:51 AM »
Check out John Hinderaker's take on this.  I got it courtesy of Hugh Hewitt's blog on Townhall.com . . .

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2008/09/021498.php
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 07:42:19 AM »
I find the whole "doesn't use email" to be MASSIVE mistake on the biden/hussein campaign.

I agree.    Obama's judgement failing him seems to be a weekly thing now.   

Offline md11hydmec

• plane doc
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 07:47:08 AM »
Well, no ones ever accused Obama of actually having brains.   Just goes to show you what a junior senator is capable of when competing against the big boys.  These idiots are grasping at straws, or anything that moves tro make any case..Its actually pathetic.
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."-----John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 08:02:06 AM »

Does anybody remember that Farside comic where the kid was pushing on the door for the school for the gifted with the PULL clearly marked on the door?
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »

Does anybody remember that Farside comic where the kid was pushing on the door for the school for the gifted with the PULL clearly marked on the door?

Yup!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 10:23:33 AM »
So Biden askes a guy in a wheelchair to stand up and the Obamessiah follows it up with a campaign ad making fun of a guy for not being able to use a computer because of his war injuries.

And people want these guys to be in the White House?

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 10:30:12 AM »
Idiots.

Their next ad should probably say something like

"If we had more embryonic stem cell research, the wheelchair bound man at Biden's rally could get up and get the ovation he deserves!" When in doubt, kill more fetuses /DUmmy mode.

:whatever:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »

I agree.    Obama's judgement failing him seems to be a weekly thing now.   

Shit, I've counted at least 3 screwups this week, and there's still the weekend left.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline jukin

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 11:13:59 AM »
Affirmative action in practice.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 11:27:12 AM »
Isn't it fairly normal for the President to have advisors on any subject that they may lack expertise?  I don't know about everyone, but I'd rather my President have military smarts than e-mail smarts.   ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »
I'm upset The One has yet to ask McCain to stretch forth his withered hand and make it whole again.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »
So all of these months the Obama campaign has been trying to tell the American public why he's more qualified to be POTUS than McCain and all they can come up with is that he can type?

Whatever they are paying Rove, it isn't enough. :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Duchess

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2008, 03:29:57 PM »
Isn't it fairly normal for the President to have advisors on any subject that they may lack expertise?  I don't know about everyone, but I'd rather my President have military smarts than e-mail smarts.   ::)

The man who thinks we have 57 states doesn't need to throw stones from his glass house. Apparently, he's not too computer-savvy himself, or he could've at least have looked up that little fact, since he wasn't fundamentally American enough to know it already, though any elementary school child would have. And McCain was smart enough to learn to fly a jet, which is more than I will ever believe Barry could do, and McCain will have secretaries to take up the slack on any keyboard deficiencies, while apparently making executive decisions is above Barry's pay grade. (But then, as a former "community organiser" and a Senator who barely showed up work, not much isn't above his pay grade). And no amount of advisors or secretaries can give Barry the love of his country, integrity, and courage that McCain will bring to the Oval Office.

Offline Kasha

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2008, 06:57:37 PM »
Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.
-Laurence J. Peter

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »

:lmao:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 08:49:35 PM »
I love that sign!

So I guess if the ooooobama wants to imply that McCain isn't tech savvy, then that means he is? Apparently not or one of his 300 advisors would have found out in about 5 minutes (or less) of googling that McCain is most certainly with the times as others have posted.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle