Author Topic: Democrats fall flat with 'Latinx' language  (Read 548 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Democrats fall flat with 'Latinx' language
« on: December 06, 2021, 04:00:25 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216119004

brooklynite
Democrats fall flat with 'Latinx' language

Politico

As Democrats seek to reach out to Latino voters in a more gender-neutral way, they’ve increasingly begun using the word Latinx, a term that first began to get traction among academics and activists on the left.

But that very effort could be counterproductive in courting those of Latin American descent, according to a new nationwide poll of Hispanic voters.

Only 2 percent of those polled refer to themselves as Latinx, while 68 percent call themselves “Hispanic” and 21 percent favored “Latino” or “Latina” to describe their ethnic background, according to the survey from Bendixen & Amandi International, a top Democratic firm specializing in Latino outreach.

More problematic for Democrats: 40 percent said Latinx bothers or offends them to some degree and 30 percent said they would be less likely to support a politician or organization that uses the term.

That’s all I have time to bring over.  Very interesting thread where some admit there’s no reason to use some of these terms …

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ADsOutburst

Re: Democrats fall flat with 'Latinx' language
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 04:31:38 PM »
I'm not latino, but this strikes me as another example of the democrats just being presumptuous.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 05:24:22 PM »
There was a similar poll to this back in 2020.  As usual, the Dumbocrats care more about virtue signaling than those they're supposedly virtue signaling for.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 05:30:09 PM »
they tried to force a "woke" label on an ethnic group and it was a resounding failure.

Well Done!
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 06:28:03 PM »
This kind of stuff along with the “preferred pronoun” bullshit will bury them.  They really think the virtue signaling is what people NEED. They don’t care what they want, because they think everyone is too stupid to know what they need.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 07:20:29 PM »
It was a stupid attempt to de-gender a gendered language family member. Then again, get a Panamanian, Colombian, Venezuelan, Ecuadorian, Bolivian, Peruvian, Chilean, Argentinian, and Uruguayan all into a room, tell them they're all "Latinos" and Latinas" and see/hear what happens, :rotf: .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 09:09:02 PM »
The white leftist NPR hosts--Steve Innskeep, Mary Louise Kelly, and others--were pushing the word latinx hot and heavy for a couple years, but they have pretty much stopped these last few months from what I've been hearing.  In the past, every time they would be interviewing a latino guest they would work the word latinx into the conversation.  Almost invariably, the latino guest would stick with the word latino--and usually enunciating it very clearly to make the distinction.  There was one occasion I remember when the guest also used the word latinx and that was someone from a LGBT Latinos type group--a group leaning more to the LGBT perspective with less emphasis on the latino point of view.

They made an effort.  They tried their best to make latinx a thing but it aint happening.

I think it would be a worthwhile job for a group like the MRCs Newsbusters to look into how hard NPR and others were pushing latinx and how the usage dropped off when they figured out that it was hurting the left.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 05:19:37 AM »
They tried this in the ‘90s, and it failed then too - when they tried to gender neutralize words like steward/stewardess, host/hostess with the pseudosuffix ‘on’ — stewardon, hoston, etc etc..

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 08:11:41 AM »
Speaking of offending Hispanics, remember when Terry McAuliffe told a roomful of them "you need to get busy and make more of you."

:lmao:  What an insufferable oaf. 

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »
This kind of stuff along with the “preferred pronoun” bullshit will bury them.  They really think the virtue signaling is what people NEED. They don’t care what they want, because they think everyone is too stupid to know what they need.

KC

The left falls into two categories.  The proggies who know what's best for everyone, and the moonbats who want to be told what to think.  The proggies want everyone filed into nice, neat little boxes, and the moonbats like that cause then you just need to know what box a person fits in to know everything about them.  Goes back to the collectivist hive mind garbage, as well as their own racism/classism/sexism ect itsms.  Latinx is just another example of the elitists telling people how to live, think and talk with no consideration for the people they are trying to label. 

It was a stupid attempt to de-gender a gendered language family member. Then again, get a Panamanian, Colombian, Venezuelan, Ecuadorian, Bolivian, Peruvian, Chilean, Argentinian, and Uruguayan all into a room, tell them they're all "Latinos" and Latinas" and see/hear what happens, :rotf: .

Prime example of how the left's sorting system fails.  At least the people being labeled are standing up to it in this case.  The left's continuing refusal to accept it should be a wake-up call to everyone with functioning brain cells that the left does not have anyone's best interests in mind except their own.   
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 10:57:34 AM »
It was a stupid attempt to de-gender a gendered language
This is the latinx movement at its core.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 11:44:34 AM »
Leftists = Vogons

If you’ve never seen Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, watch it and tell me I’m wrong.

KC

*Stolen

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
Leftists = Vogons

If you’ve never seen Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, watch it and tell me I’m wrong.

KC

Right down to the bad poetry.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 12:25:43 PM »
Living in FL growing up, those from the islands, Central and South America all preferred to be called Latinos (if you didn't know where they were from specifically, in which case, you would say Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Venezuelan, etc...).

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.