Author Topic: Affirmative Action Cases Lead What Could Prove Another Momentous Supreme Court T  (Read 359 times)

Offline SVPete

Affirmative Action Cases Lead What Could Prove Another Momentous Supreme Court Term

Affirmative action in school admissions leads the list of cases of interest to educators as the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to open its 2022-23 term, just months after wrapping up a term that saw several momentous rulings for K-12.

The justices, who return Oct. 3, will hear arguments Oct. 31 in Students for Fair Admissions v. President and Fellows of Harvard College (No. 20-1199) and Students for Fair Admissions v. University of North Carolina (No. 21-707). While the disputes involve college admissions, their outcome will likely be felt significantly in K-12 schools.
In addition to the affirmative action cases, education law experts are paying attention to cases granted for review in the areas of copyright, American Indian law, and the tension between civil rights protections for LGBTQ individuals and those with religious objections.
As Education Week has reported, the college-admissions cases hold implications for certain race-conscious practices in K-12 schools, such as in admissions to selective magnet schools. Numerous K-12 groups have filed briefs in support of Harvard and UNC.

Several legal experts said that if there was one lesson from last term, which saw the court overruling its most contentious decision of the last half-century—Roe v. Wade—it was that no one should be surprised if the conservative majority is prepared to overturn key precedents in affirmative action. That could include 1978’s Regents of the University of California v. Bakke, which upheld diversity as a proper means for considering race in admissions, and 2003’s Grutter v. Bollinger, which allowed for the use of race in a holistic admissions program.

The article is laden with Lib/Prog hand-wringing, but it's worth knowing what good possibilities worry Libs/Progs.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
First of all, I believe that Affirmative Action was the wrong way to handle things. However, since it was implemented, there should have been criteria defined so that it could be determined when we had been Affirmative Actioned enough. Unfortunately, it was opened ended legislation and now the courts have to decide when enough is enough and, if you ask me, it has long passed any usefulness it may have servered.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I love it when proglodytes wring their hands and rend their clothing (well, assuming they have any clothing).

Sorta puts things on a biblical perspective.  :yahoo:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
First of all, I believe that Affirmative Action was the wrong way to handle things. However, since it was implemented, there should have been criteria defined so that it could be determined when we had been Affirmative Actioned enough. Unfortunately, it was opened ended legislation and now the courts have to decide when enough is enough and, if you ask me, it has long passed any usefulness it may have servered.

The same can be said when it's time to put servicemen and -women in harm's way. At which point is the mission accomplished? Definitions and measurables need to be part of that equation. Bush 43 completely forgot about that one and Bush 41 didn't even think about it. Barry was a complete disaster and SharterJoe is dutifully following in his alleged footsteps.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.